Poll: Smaller Drivers?

Poll: Smaller Drivers?

• Yes

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
430, I likey, 460, not so much

Bottom line to this thread is that Golf companies will NOT do it. That would only encourage people to hit up ebay and buy older clubs. What will happen is that Adams Speedline will win the driver tech war this year and aerodynamics are the next big marketing thing. If the look is bothering you check out Cobra S9 Pro D, Nickent 4DX, most of the Adams line. None of those appear to be 460.

I assure you a brand new 400cc driver would be a lot better than a 5 year old 400cc driver. Club head size isn't the only thing that makes these drivers nowadays so good.

i can play the 460 and i do currently. i have also liked drivers in the 420-440 range tho. the kicker is the difference in shape of drivers. like my 907d2 looks like a 400 next to the dymo, but they are both 460

"Wheel go 'round in a circle"

I think we'll see a few years of decreasing driver head sizes, and then another ramp up. Kind of like men's ties. Or skirt lengths. Or avocado colored cars.

"Wheel go 'round in a circle"

I think we'll see a few years of decreasing driver head sizes, and then another ramp up. Kind of like men's ties. Or skirt lengths. Or avocado colored cars.

oh, i love the old avacado cars :banana:

440 SZ Cobra

440 SZ Cobra

This club is my baby doll. I upgraded the shaft in it to the proforce v2 stiff at 66 grams, 3.0 torque etc. I hit the fairway more often with the smaller head driver. Not sure why. It just sits on the ground looking good to me and with the heavier shaft I feel in control. The loft at 10.5 with the mid kick shaft really smooths the flight out great me...... The larger heads are suppose to have more forgiveness, however the 440 SZ looks really perfect at the end of my proforce shaft!!! If it looks and feels good to ya, you are going to be more confident which is what we all are seeking. Confidence with your driver is the ticket. Make sure you purchase the correct ticket :eek:)

I guess this depends on what you consider small, I know a lot of golfers still consider 425cc to be huge. I've got one of the first Nike Drivers, it's 300cc's and it's smaller than my 3 wood I think.

My driver is a 400cc, but I didn't know that until I looked it up just now. Never occured to me. I hit it fine and never questioned the size. To me, it is the feel, not the size.

Compared to a 460 the 425 heads appear tiny. I like my R7 425 quite a bit but not sure if I would want to drop down to something in the rnage of a 380 or less.

I love my 425. But I still have my old Titleist 983K. I should give it to the First Tee so some deserving kid can get some use out of it, but I just can't bear to part with it.

If you have clubs sitting around in your garage that you know you can't get anything for, please consider donating them to your local First Tee. I brought in a set of old Callaway X-14 irons that my dad wanted to donate, and you would have thought I gave them a bag of Krugerrands. Not only were they appreciative, they told me all about the kid they were going to give them to. An inner city kid knocking on the door of a single-digit handicap playing with some old knock-offs. I swear, I thought I was going to lose it right then and there.

1130 here, I actually should be out right now but I don't feel well.

I am feeling cool, like a cool cat.

I saw the cool cat once in a video ab out breaking the law, I think it was the cool police cat.

drunk01.gif

I am all for wanting to see smaller drivers. If you hit the ball in the center of the club it doesn't really matter how big it is. I would rather look down at a soft shell turtle than a sea turtle.

the bigger it is, the easier it is to ht.

Not sure if you were joking or not, but for many people that is the furthest thing from the truth. I am still using a Titleist 983-E that is 350cc. I have no problems hitting it. I have kept it this long because I have not found anything that I can hit further, straighter, or more consistent. I have a friend who still uses a 983-K. I think the bigger drivers are harder to hit. I think a smaller head adds a little to the focus of the shot. Every time I look down at my driver I have to really focus in on what I am doing because there is very little room for error. When I hit a 460, I still focus but I know there is more room for error. That thinking leads to inconsistency in the swing.

The only thing that larger driver heads and super game-improvement irons have done is handicap the game. You get all of these hacks on the course who hit 10 good shots out of a 110 and they think they are great. Nobody want to actually swing a club better, they just want a club that will cover up the mistakes. 30 years ago you had a choice with one persimmon driver and another one that looked just like it. You had best be able to swing the club well, because the equipment wouldn't help you at all.

I am all for wanting to see smaller drivers. If you hit the ball in the center of the club it doesn't really matter how big it is. I would rather look down at a soft shell turtle than a sea turtle.

Not sure if you were joking or not, but for many people that is the furthest thing from the truth. I am still using a Titleist 983-E that is 350cc. I have no problems hitting it. I have kept it this long because I have not found anything that I can hit further, straighter, or more consistent. I have a friend who still uses a 983-K. I think the bigger drivers are harder to hit. I think a smaller head adds a little to the focus of the shot. Every time I look down at my driver I have to really focus in on what I am doing because there is very little room for error. When I hit a 460, I still focus but I know there is more room for error. That thinking leads to inconsistency in the swing.

The only thing that larger driver heads and super game-improvement irons have done is handicap the game. You get all of these hacks on the course who hit 10 good shots out of a 110 and they think they are great. Nobody want to actually swing a club better, they just want a club that will cover up the mistakes. 30 years ago you had a choice with one persimmon driver and another one that looked just like it. You had best be able to swing the club well, because the equipment wouldn't help you at all.

Different people have different views. I've seen many people who hit a small driver and have trouble, hand them a bigger one and they don't have a problem. Bigger driver = larger face = less room for error.

Different people have different views. I've seen many people who hit a small driver and have trouble, hand them a bigger one and they don't have a problem. Bigger driver = larger face = less room for error.

You mean more room for error.

But what about those who don't need any room for error? Where are the blades of the driver market?

You mean more room for error.

But what about those who don't need any room for error? Where are the blades of the driver market?

Ok well it can go both ways right? If you have a smaller face, there is a bigger chance of not hitting the sweet spot, hitting off the toe etc.

If you have a bigger face, there is a better chance of hitting the sweet spot because it is bigger.

Ok well it can go both ways right? If you have a smaller face, there is a bigger chance of not hitting the sweet spot, hitting off the toe etc.

If you have a bigger face, there is a better chance of hitting the sweet spot because it is bigger.

My bad, I said it wrong.

I'm not sure that's correct Dent. Just because the face is bigger doesn't mean the sweet spot is bigger as well. There may be more room for error but I don't think the sweet spot would be any larger.

I assure you a brand new 400cc driver would be a lot better than a 5 year old 400cc driver. Club head size isn't the only thing that makes these drivers nowadays so good.

COR was maxed out in 2004. 2009-2004= 5 years by my count.

Back