What shaft for my MX-23's?? akin to an AWT

bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
Hey All,
Last fall I purchased a set of used MX-23's with Nippon 850 Stiffs.
Being only a 14 hdcp, I usually try to find things off the self that are a "close fit".

Last Sunday I went to a Ping Demo Days. I ended up getting fit for a Rapture V2 in the newer Ping AWT Shaft.....Regular Flex. (I had been thinking the Nippons might be somewhat stiff and the demo days confirmed it)

I didn't think I could afford a new set of V2's and once I got the price, my suspicions were confirmed, so I started looking at alternatives....

Instead of heading down the MX-23 reshafting route, I started looking at G5's with the standard Ping CS Lite Reg shaft...While there are some out there, I feel I would be doing an injustice to my MX-23's by not giving them the benefit of the doubt with a different shaft..

This is where you Hackers come in

Can any of you recommend a shaft with similar characteristics to the Ping AWT Reg shaft?? Should be a little higher launching than the current Nippon given my current ball flight...

thanks
bama

Hey All,
Last fall I purchased a set of used MX-23's with Nippon 850 Stiffs.
Being only a 14 hdcp, I usually try to find things off the self that are a "close fit".

Last Sunday I went to a Ping Demo Days. I ended up getting fit for a Rapture V2 in the newer Ping AWT Shaft.....Regular Flex. (I had been thinking the Nippons might be somewhat stiff and the demo days confirmed it)

I didn't think I could afford a new set of V2's and once I got the price, my suspicions were confirmed, so I started looking at alternatives....

Instead of heading down the MX-23 reshafting route, I started looking at G5's with the standard Ping CS Lite Reg shaft...While there are some out there, I feel I would be doing an injustice to my MX-23's by not giving them the benefit of the doubt with a different shaft..

This is where you Hackers come in

Can any of you recommend a shaft with similar characteristics to the Ping AWT Reg shaft?? Should be a little higher launching than the current Nippon given my current ball flight...

thanks
bama

You could try True Temper Dynamic Gold High Launch, or the Project X High Launch.

DG HL is not a bad choice... avoid Project X, unless you can get a set of the original shafts. Notice the touring professionals and the color of their shafts, they are still using the matte finish shafts which were made by Royal Precision. Upon being purchased by True Temper they havent been able to replicate the quality.

You've got two different things coming into play with your question, Bama.

The AWT's in regular flex are a lower kick point, and simply aren't as stiff. The Nippon's you have are a mid kickpoint, and require a faster swingspeed in order to load them up properly.

Look at the Nippon 750GH. It's lighter weight, and has a very low kickpoint to help get the ball up in the air.

The suggestion of the Dynamic Gold HL's is also a good one. It'll be a heavier shaft than the Nippons, which will affect your swing weight (it'll change the balance of the club)

KBS doesn't seem to be offering a shaft that meets your requirements right now from what I can find.

bama,
You can also pose this question to our teaching pro amollerud either in his section or via pm or email. He is a certified fitter and might be able to help.

thanks for all the inputs....
My current 23's are a D2 SW.
I am comfortable with that swingweight, so to keep the variables to a minimum, I am looking for a shaft close to the same raw weight (91g in this case). Also with the MX-23's, I need a .355 tapered tip offering....

help refresh my memory.....putting a lighter weight shaft will (inc/dec) the SW??

bama,
I've got Rifle 6.0's in my 23's and demo'd the DG's in the 52's and the difference between the feel between the two was light years. I'd say to consider Accra Tour Steels as well but can't get your hands on them

Back