Driver Shoot Out Results

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Today we had 13 drivers in a shoot out to determine out of 11 golfers, how they stacked up against each other. Here are the 13 drivers.

Here is the lineup in no particular order
1. Taylormade Burner TP
2. Nike Str8 Fit
3. Nike DYMO
4. Taylormade R9
5. Taylormade Burner
6. Mizuno MX-700
7. Bridgestone J33
8. Titleist 909D2
9. Titleist 909DComp
10. Cobra L5V
11. Cobra S9-1
12. Nickent Evolver
13. PowerBilt Air Force One

499403957_9QcSE-L.jpg

499403851_otZLh-L.jpg

This is Matt, he easily clears 300 yards routinely with his driver. He works at our club.
499402585_qYhzx-L.jpg

499402459_Rneqd-L.jpg

499402338_iNENE-L.jpg

And you all know Amollerud our teaching professional
499404210_KCcui-L.jpg

The Air Force One's Sound!

We have tons more pictures and videos that we will be putting up tonight.

So what we did is we had everybody hit all the drivers and give us their report when they were finished. Summary of drivers and rankings. Here are the final results. Based on looks, sound, feel, and performance.

1. Nike Str8 Fit - A setting for everybody good or bad. Shaft worked well and it worked the best for the most people. Extremely hot face and great feel. Performance was top notch. Some struggled with the looks, but surprisingly enough, nobody had issues with the sound.

2. Taylormade Burner TP - The four golfers that were scratch or better all had this driver ranked number one. Extremely hot face and the distance could not be matched by any driver in the group. Looks bothered nobody and the sound was the top one out of every driver.

3. Nickent Evolver - 2nd on the list for most of the scratch golfers. Extremely hot face and great ball flight. A few of the mid to high handicappers struggled a bit with this one, but nobody had it lower than 5th on any ballot.

4. Taylormade R9 - This was once again the case where they had setting for any player out there, so it really helped its cause. Nobdy had anything negative to say about the R9 other than that a few felt as though some distance was left behind.

5. Mizuno MX-700 - Possibly the most liked driver out of anybody that was not a scratch golfer. Would have finished higher, however the professionals thought the ball flight got a bit too high for them. Extremely hot face and very forgiving.

6. Cobra S9-1 - Great face and good distance. Better players enjoyed the distance, but quite a few struggled with the forgiveness of this one. Look and feel were very good.

7. Taylormade Burner - One of the longest driver distance wise out of all of them. Great ball flight and very forgiving. It's slightly closed face was the reason that this did not make the top 3. Scratch players had it slightly lower while the mid handicappers all had it in the top 4.

8. Nike DYMO - We were surprised that this did not do better based on how the Str8 Fit finished. But it was not because of the club's performance. The professionals really struggled with ball flight with the regular DYMO and needed something that was more open faced. The average players all really liked this club.

9. Titleist 909D2 - Got as high as 2nd in a few categories for a few golfers, but performance kept it down. It was shorter distance wise than almost every driver in the group. Forgiveness was also a major issue. Looks and sound it finished quite well. But not one player good or bad had it ranked in the top 7 in performance.

10. Bridgestone J33 - People either LOVED this one or HATED it. It was first in a few categories by quite a few golfers and dead last in few by many others. Just the real enigma of the group.

11. Cobra L5V - This was a baffler. None of the professionals and scratch players liked it at all. Sound and looks were very low by just about everybody. Performance wise it had a hot face, but few thought it could compete with the others. Surprising in the end.

12. Titleist 909 DComp - Nobody really cared for this driver one bit. Had the looks down, but lacked any feel whatsoever. It also had very poor distance by just about the entire group. It did not crack the top 8 in any category by any player other than looks.

13. Powerbilt Air Force One - Finished dead last on everybody's card in sound and looks. It was doomed because of that. Performance was all over the map. Had a pretty hot face and good distance, but no forgiveness, especially for people that struggle with a hook.

A couple of things to note here. Every one of these drivers was "pretty good". These are just the opinions of the 11 golfers that we sampled today. Many will differ and all we want is for people to find what works for them.

It was a blast out there and we look forward to doing more of these in the future. We want to thank all the club companies involved, because without them, none of this could take place. And of course we want to thank Westchase Golf Club for letting us use their facilities and all of 11 golfers involved.

What happened to the FT-9, JB?

• Admin
It had to go back Grogger. It was substituted by the Titleist DComp.

What loft was the Evolver? Liked the videos you posted, the Air Force One sounds insane!

In determining the ultimate rank, did you wieght any of the catagories more heavily than any other? Specifically, I don't really care much at all about sound. Performance, feel, and how comfortable I am with the look at set-up are probably more important to me. In fact, since people prioritize the various factors differently, it may be worthwhile to publish each club's scores in the individual categories when you have time.

• Admin
What loft was the Evolver? Liked the videos you posted, the Air Force One sounds insane!

9*

In determining the ultimate rank, did you wieght any of the catagories more heavily than any other? Specifically, I don't really care much at all about sound. Performance, feel, and how comfortable I am with the look at set-up are probably more important to me. In fact, since people prioritize the various factors differently, it may be worthwhile to publish each club's scores in the individual categories when you have time.

Performance was worth 2 points and the others were worth 1 point.

i had fun out there today JB, thank you for letting me be involved with this. and yeah, that Powerbilt driver is just a strange club. i hit a few really good drives with it, and a few so-so drives with it. but the sound is just crazy. and im a guy that isnt usually bothered by sound (i used an FT-i for 2 years), but i wouldnt be able to handle listening to that thing over and over.

I think having a Powerbilt would be fun, if for nothing else than to take it to the driving range and watch people try and figure out who is hitting balls with the aluminum baseball bat.

I think having a Powerbilt would be fun, if for nothing else than to take it to the driving range and watch people try and figure out who is hitting balls with the aluminum baseball bat.

thats EXACTLY what it sounds like too. it sounds like a little league baseball game being played right near you

Great review JB. Thanks.

Did you guys send the Diablo back with the FT-9?

We always send all the Callaway stuff back.

Guess the Air Force One was just hype. But the sound of it is SICK.

Marks,
It was the standard stiff.

REAX 49gram

If I recall correctly, that sounds like the stock shaft in the Burner rather than the Burner TP.

Very cool. Thanks JB!

Marks,
I am looking right down at it right now. That is the shaft.

Nice review.
I may be a bit biased but so what, I love the TM Burners as they do exactly what I want & sound great.

How do you think an FT-i would have done in this comparison?

Dyna,
Rocketsauce can definitely answer that, because up until this week, that was his gaming driver. He switched to the Mizuno. My gut feeling would be it would have struggled because of the high level golfers and ranking. Plus look and sound might have turned people off.

I loved that driver when it came out. Not sure the face is hot enough for some of these ones though.

8. Nike DYMO - We were surprised that this did not do better based on how the Str8 Fit finished. But it was not because of the club's performance. The professionals really struggled with ball flight with the regular DYMO and needed something that was more open faced. The average players all really liked this club.

maybe thats why i hit a draw/hook with with so much

Great info thanks... I have to find a place to test drive the Miz in LH'd near home. Went to the two big name houses and they only had it in RH!

JB, are you guys ever gonna get the Exotics XCG-V or the Adams offerings?

We have the Exotics right now, but they asked specifically not to be included. As for Adams, we should have some soon.

Quite a few companies emailed in about this and loved the report. We are going to be doing these quite a bit more and comparing 5 drivers a month with 10 or so different golfers and seeing where the results end up.

Back