Nickent Tour Putter Unboxing

DD,
You could say the same thing about SC ripping off the Anser or Kia Ma

DD,
You could say the same thing about SC ripping off the Anser or Kia Ma

but even the placement of the font...

Again, you could say the same thing from SC. He blatantly ripped off the SeeMore putters with the red dot. IT IS A JOKE how bad he ripped that off.

Again, you could say the same thing from SC. He blatantly ripped off the SeeMore putters with the red dot. IT IS A JOKE how bad he ripped that off.

yes, I'd agree with that. Only used on the single center shafted model though, maybe the new Kombi mallet as well.

So because Nickent used a similar style, they are stealing it? Almost every putter company used that exact same style 20 years ago, so in theory, they all ripped off each other? Ripping off a shape has been done for years. Ripping off the dot that makes a company is LOW.

So because Nickent used a similar style, they are stealing it? Almost every putter company used that exact same style 20 years ago, so in theory, they all ripped off each other? Ripping off a shape has been done for years. Ripping off the dot that makes a company is LOW.

I would say yes, there are only so many ways to make a blade putter. Again I don't see what the big deal is, some people just like different brands.

I'm not sure what SC is . . .

unless it's Scotty something. (Just popped into my head)

Scotty Cameron

My point is that people jump on Scotty, and others but especially Scotty for his "inspired by" or "copied" designs. At least some of his designs are original or somewhat original. All of the Nickent putters are blatant "replicas" and I thought it was funny they seemed to be getting a free pass. Plus the guys at Nickent are too sharp and on top of standard club design to let these out. By looking at them they look like they are just something to placate the masses while they are still working on their real line. That may not be the case, but it surprises me because of how good a job they have done with other clubs.

The Scotty haters are not up in arms like they would be if this was his entire product line. I like Nickent, believe me I do, but it seemed they were getting a free pass.

Don't get me wrong I believe Cleveland has a line with all "replica" putters, but I do not believe them to be as on top of their game in innovative club design as Nickent.

Yep. I thought of that after my post.

My point is that people jump on Scotty, and others but especially Scotty for his "inspired by" or "copied" designs. At least some of his designs are original or somewhat original. All of the Nickent putters are blatant "replicas" and I thought it was funny they seemed to be getting a free pass. Plus the guys at Nickent are too sharp and on top of standard club design to let these out. By looking at them they look like they are just something to placate the masses while they are still working on their real line. That may not be the case, but it surprises me because of how good a job they have done with other clubs.

The Scotty haters are not up in arms like they would be if this was his entire product line. I like Nickent, believe me I do, but it seemed they were getting a free pass.

Don't get me wrong I believe Cleveland has a line with all "replica" putters, but I do not believe them to be as on top of their game in innovative club design as Nickent.

This is where I disagree SSB. Nickent came up with the Pipe putters and everybody told them to make putters more traditional looking. So they did that and added the groove tech. Now they are getting told by some that they should be original. So which way should they go? They have 5 models of this tour putter and still have the Pipe available.

This is where I disagree SSB. Nickent came up with the Pipe putters and everybody told them to make putters more traditional looking. So they did that and added the groove tech. Now they are getting told by some that they should be original. So which way should they go? They have 5 models of this tour putter and still have the Pipe available.

I think maybe you misunderstand what I am trying to say. I am not saying make a space station on a stick like the pipe putter, sabretooth or others. You have to be established as a putter company or maker to release radical designs like that. Added groove tech? Like rife, TM, Gel and 6 or 7 others before them? These look like they called over to china and said give me these designs, mill an aluminum insert and slap it in there and put a pretty finish on them.

I hate to use myself as an example but here it goes. I could have come out with an anser design first. However I did not. I took the Anser and changed it, made it a bit longer heel to toe like the anser 2 and extended the flange and then offered multiple hosel options. Multiple hosel options may be out of the questions for such a large company, but a modified design is not.

My Yaupon is similar to the fastback, anser 2 and a couple of others, but is not a copy of any of them and yet looks traditional. My southport is a cavity back blade with a plumber's neck, but not a copy of anything.

This is what I mean. Yeah you have to have an Anser style, they are too popular to not have one, but do something at least a little bit original.

this one?

2007_Circa62No1_LG.jpg

497467322_yGzFC-L-1.jpg

i actually meant this one, heh

!BPK1vOQBGk~$(KGrHgoOKkQEjlLmTodMBJyTE(nSgQ~~_1.JPG

!BPK1)ZQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmEZt(BJyTEdfWEg~~_1.JPG

RS,
Wait, I thought that was a SC original...hehe. Just kidding guys.

I think I'm with JB on this one, I see no problem with the designs of their putters, I like them.

But if you think about it, SC used Karsten Solheim's designs, he just made them a different way. And by that I mean he used different materials, and no insert on some. This the exact same thing, I see no problem in it, and I'm excited to try one of these babies out.

This is what I mean. Yeah you have to have an Anser style, they are too popular to not have one, but do something at least a little bit original.

Not knocking what SSB is doing AT ALL (I am still thrilled with my dad's reaction to the custom you sent him!), however, Nickent is targeting a different market than you are, IMHO. Nickent is trying to get in every Edwin Watts, Golf Galaxy, and half of every pro shop in the country. They're not making custom putters, they're competing with Camerons, MizuNardis, Rossa's, Odysseys, and Pings. I can almost read the salesguy material now - "This Nickent is the same shape and weight as the Cameron you were putting with, but it's got an insert like an Odyssey for a bit softer feel. Plus it's $50 cheaper!"

IMHO, every putter company HAS to make an Anser. And unfortunately that shape is just too ingrained in everyone's head to have yours be "different" when it's sitting in the rack with the other Anser copies.

I hear what SSB is saying, but I think Nickents first ones almost had to be clones of something already out there, if only to be able to compete on a head-to-head basis.

It'll be interesting to see if they sell. The local shops can't get anyone to even look at Redwoods now. And Ping DEVELOPED the freakin' styles! Odd world we live in.

I think one of the issues is that SSB models his putters for different people than Nickent does. I love the SSB putters and when it comes to golf respect his opinion more than just about anyone.

However Nickent must market to the masses because they are still a company unfamiliar to 75% of golfers out there.

EDIT: 92 beat me to it on his reply.

However Nickent must market to the masses because they are still a company unfamiliar to 75% of golfers out there.

but their clubs are 100% awesome! :banana:

They seem to be so far this year. I was not a huge fan of their earlier stuff and kind of forgot about them until they sent us some stuff to review, since then, they have been near my top of the list. Every teaching pro at my club has bought their gear too.

Nickent still seems to be slow getting their stuff out there or at least the Major stores are slow to adopt their new product lines. My local stores are still selling the 3DX irons and 4DX hybrids as Nickents latest offering. I have yet to see ARC blades or ARC wedges in person out this way and I would really like to. I have only seen one store offer the Evolver out here as well.

Arc Blades were a limited edition club, so most retailers did not carry those. Only 500 sets made. As for the wedges, it seems to be done by region. Edwin watts here in FL seems to have them as well as all the of the latest Nickent stuff as far as 5DX hybrids and 4DX Pro irons. Golfsmith near me has both as well.

Yeah the major stores we have are Golfsmith, Roger Dunn, Golf Galaxy and Plaza Golf....Nickent doesn't really have a heavy presence at any of those. I did not know the ARC blades were only limited to 500 though, thanks. It's not just Nickent though, companies like Wilson, Tour Edges, and Yonex are not represented hardly at all out here. Sorry to go OT.

That is surprising, because the Golfsmith near us has everything except the ARC Blades.

So I have 4 rounds with these under my belt and have been rolling the ball extremely well. The groove technology works as advertised and the weighting feels great.

Back