Iron shaft change

Golfingmedic

Reaction score
I have some Ping i15's with some X100's in them, and just purchased some used AP2's with some S300's. My questions is this, can I pull the shafts from my pings and put them in my AP2's? If so, how hard is this to accomplish?

Yes and its easy with the right equipment and some mechanical aptitude.

heat gun or mini torch
golf epoxy
oven mitt
rubber shaft holder so u dont scratch the iron
table top vice
ferrules if need be.

that is it sir.

I've never done it myself, but it seemed pretty easy when I watched other people do it. :D

Personally, Id just take it to a golf shop so that you know its done right. People go to college for years to learn how to do things like this correctly. It would suck to be at the range or on the course and have the clubhead go flying on you.

I wouldn't try this myself personally. I'm fine with doing grips hut wouldn't feel comfortable doing shafts.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Personally, Id just take it to a golf shop so that you know its done right. People go to college for years to learn how to do things like this correctly. It would suck to be at the range or on the course and have the clubhead go flying on you.

I tend to agree. Not all that hard to do with the right equipment, but it has taken me many years to get good at reshafting. There is more to it than meets the eye in many cases.

People go to college for YEARS to learn how to reshaft a golf club? I really hope not because its not that hard, especially with steel shafts.

People go to college for YEARS to learn how to reshaft a golf club? I really hope not because its not that hard, especially with steel shafts.

seems kind of silly doesn't it? I think once you get a few done you get better and better at it, just like with everything else. I know I got trained when I worked at Golf Galaxy and now I pretty much do all of my club work myself.

LOL Well, not JUST to reshaft a club but that fact remains that you need to know what you are doing and its not something that you want to try to figure out as you go.
I know that here, OSU offers a 2-year course in golf management and much of the content relates to clubbuilding.

LOL Well, not JUST to reshaft a club but that fact remains that you need to know what you are doing and its not something that you want to try to figure out as you go.
I know that here, OSU offers a 2-year course in golf management and much of the content relates to clubbuilding.
hehehe, I know what you meant man. For right now when it comes to graphite and get all my shafts pulled by the pro's, but I do all the installation myself. Iron shafts are easily done yourself though if you are handy in any way.

I'm looking online right now for my own shaft puller.

I'm looking online right now for my own shaft puller.[/QUOTE]

I can think of several sites on the web for this.....but this is a family forum:angel:
sorry couldn't resist

Iron shaft change

Do your research and measure twice, cut once. I'm terrible with handy work, but I've re-shafted both steel and graphite with success. No failure to date. Just take your time. It's easier than one would think.

Do your research and measure twice, cut once. I'm terrible with handy work, but I've re-shafted both steel and graphite with success. No failure to date. Just take your time. It's easier than one would think.

yup, just take your time. No need to rush. Clean the hosel out, prep the shaft after trimming it to the proper trim code, coat the inside of the hosel and then the outside of the shaft, insert, bang the butt end of the shaft on the ground a few times to make sure it's all the way in, set the shaft how you want and let dry.

I like Ralph Maltby. I took a two day clubmaking course in Ohio several years ago in Ralph's shop. Here is a link; http://www.ralphmaltby.com/

I learned using the Maltby kits at GG

I have done it myself and also pured my shafts when I put them back in. Totally recommend pureing them while they are out of the club head.

I've never had a shaft "pured" that I know of. Will it really make a difference? Also by reading online it seems I'd have to purchase another tool for this, is that true?

Performed my first shaft pull and re-insertion into some new irons, and it was quite simple! I really enjoyed the ability to work on my own golf clubs, and it felt very satisfying to be able to do this on my own, and successfully!!!

I've done it twice so far and have one problem. Just put KBS Tours in my AP2 irons and for some reason the 8 iron tip bent. Don't know why but all other clubs have been fine!

I've never had a shaft "pured" that I know of. Will it really make a difference? Also by reading online it seems I'd have to purchase another tool for this, is that true?

Yes it requires another tool. And it must work if all the pro's are using it.

Here is a link that I found and I know this set I just got I had the shafts pured and I am more consistent with them.

http://sstpure.com/faq.html

Performed my first shaft pull and re-insertion into some new irons, and it was quite simple! I really enjoyed the ability to work on my own golf clubs, and it felt very satisfying to be able to do this on my own, and successfully!!!

I know the feeling! I have been doing my own grips with a air compressor and a vise for over a year and it is just so satisfying knowing that I am the one that modified my own clubs. Not that someone else wouldn't put in the same effort, but I feel me doing it I know I have emotion behind it to do the job correctly.

The suggestion to learn from Raulph Maltby is a very good one. You should also read as much info from Tom Wishon as you can find.

For graphite shafts I have found the following puller from Amazon to work very well. Not only as a shaft puller but also a very nice vice for re-gripping. And its very small and under $100.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009MKI2Y/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Back