Kelly Tilghman Love or Hate?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have always been a defender of hers. I enjoy her commentary but I am almost done with it. It just seems her love affair with speaking of all things Tiger have gone over the top. It always reminds me of the Frank Caliendo skit of John Madden speaking about Brett Favre.

Any thoughts on her by others?

I still like her a whole lot. I would MUCH rather listen to her than to Rich Lerner. After what Lerner did to Tadd Fujikawa earlier this year, it seriously ticks me off that he's still allowed on air anywhere.

Tilghman is pretty harmless. I like the fact that there's a woman doing mainstream commenting, and I'm also thankful they chose Kelly over some of the other female commentators.

It just seems her love affair with speaking of all things Tiger have gone over the top. It always reminds me of the Frank Caliendo skit of John Madden speaking about Brett Favre.

Yeah it does seem a little much but she's not the only one. Without a doubt Tiger is the best player in the game right now but enough is enough already. It's great that he's back but TGC period gushes everytime anyone there talks about him.

Love her.

Everything Tiger is overdone. A bit nauseating, actually.

Did I mention I love her?

Shes OK. Shes far less annoying than Faldo or Miller.

Ugh, her voice is so annoying, too hard to listen too. I cant even hear what she is saying that voice is just too awful.

She is one of the better announcers TGC has over there, and has paid her dues. I do agree that almost all TGC staff is a bit over board when it comes to TWs. As I understand it she is very good friends with the Woods family, so it is not surprising she is biased. Plus the ratings people say he is by far and away the biggest viewing draw. I could do with out Learner, and Hewitt. :comp:

I don't like her fake, alto TV voice. I do not mind her otherwise, and find her rather charismatic. I also like having a female commentator in the booth. It's true she's all about Tiger, which is sorta ironic, as she was lynched for making an innocent, albeit stupid, comment about the players wanting to lynch him.

I don't like her in Tiger Woods 09' thats for sure.

HA! It's funny because I liked her a lot less after I bought that game, not that she's said anything wrong it just seems like I hear her all the time.

Tolerable. Don't love her, don't hate her. But definitely a Post Turtle.

Post Turtle? Please explain...:bulgy-eyes:

:angel: Try typing it into Google.

(This is not meant to turn into a political discussion, I've just always loved that metaphor.)

really old thread here, but i was surprised we didn't talk about her leaving golf channel a couple weeks ago. anybody know why? she had been there 22 years, but hasn't been very visible lately. i wasn't sure if she is going somewhere else, or the network is just moving in a different direction? i liked her.

She was professional if a little too melodramatic with her descriptions. When she did not try to overdo it, she was fine. More play by play than color.

really old thread here, but i was surprised we didn't talk about her leaving golf channel a couple weeks ago. anybody know why? she had been there 22 years, but hasn't been very visible lately. i wasn't sure if she is going somewhere else, or the network is just moving in a different direction? i liked her.
She was on the Bayhill telecast. When did she leave?

I think with Tiger's 'comeback' everyone has pretty much made him the primary topic of their conversations. Honestly, you cannot talk about golf in my local clubhouse without having Tiger's name dropped right now. I do think her talk about Tiger is excessive but I did not think she was doing anything different than most of the golf analysts/commentators are doing right now.

She said at Bay Hill she was leaving. She blocked me on Twitter two years ago for Tweeting to her "Tiger...Tiger...Tiger...Tiger" She was getting really bad then with the Tiger talk.

Don't watch golf channel enough to even be sure whether I have seen or heard her before. Likely have just not enough to recognize the name.

The burning question for me when I opened this thread was who in the heck Forum Leader Craig Mac is?

She put out an announcement the week of Bay Hill that that was going to be her final telecast. She wasn't the greatest, but she was still pretty good. If anything, she was a staple on broadcasts so it's kinda weird not seeing and hearing her.

I think with Tiger's 'comeback' everyone has pretty much made him the primary topic of their conversations. Honestly, you cannot talk about golf in my local clubhouse without having Tiger's name dropped right now. I do think her talk about Tiger is excessive but I did not think she was doing anything different than most of the golf analysts/commentators are doing right now.

I dont currently either. This thread is from 2009, where she was injecting him into a conversation in tournaments he was not even playing.

I dont currently either. This thread is from 2009, where she was injecting him into a conversation in tournaments he was not even playing.

Ah. I blame @c.a.eleric for necro'ing an old thread and myself for not noticing the date. :D

Ah. I blame @c.a.eleric for necro'ing an old thread and myself for not noticing the date. :D

i blame that guy too. what a douche.

seriously though, i remember seeing a couple mentions of tilghman on twitter and it seemed like she either died or had made an announcement about leaving. i searched thp and this was the most recent thread that the search turned up. i found that interesting since in my opinion she was pretty synonymous with golf channel for a very long time.

i blame that guy too. what a douche.

seriously though, i remember seeing a couple mentions of tilghman on twitter and it seemed like she either died or had made an announcement about leaving. i searched thp and this was the most recent thread that the search turned up. i found that interesting since in my opinion she was pretty synonymous with golf channel for a very long time.

Agreed. Even now when someone mentions Golf Channel the two people I think of are her and Chamblee. And I am not a big fan of Chamblee. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way. I am not a Tilghman fan per say, but I do think she is fairly good at her job.

Back