I'm moving to SC...

Atticus

CMSgt of THP
Reaction score
well I just got orders cut for me to move to Charleston AFB in South Carolina. I was just wondering how the golf is there? I hear a lot about it but they all seem like pretty pricey places to golf.

Well the weather will definitely be an improvement over Neb., best of luck

What MO said!

Pretty close to Hilton Head, isn't it?

well I just got orders cut for me to move to Charleston AFB in South Carolina. I was just wondering how the golf is there? I hear a lot about it but they all seem like pretty pricey places to golf.

Atticus,

I live in Greenville, S.C., went to college in Columbia and lived for a summer in Charleston. We regularly visit that area and I am a member of the SC Golf Course Ratings Panel which has given me access to lots of golf in Charleston. There are many great golf courses in the Charleston area. Some are very pricey and very exclusive, but there are some that aren't. I've listed a few of both below that are must plays if you can get on, and some that are public/resort/good values that you can definitely get on.

High-end Resort:

Ocean Course at Kiawah Resort (resort)
Kiawah Island

Wild Dunes Resort - Links Course (resort)

Seabrook Island Club (resort)
Crooked Oaks Course
Ocean Winds Course

Private/Exclusive:
Yeamans Hall Club (private)
Hanahan

Cassique - Kiawah Island Club (private)
Kiawah Island

River Course - Kiawah Island Club (private)
Kiawah Island

Bulls Bay Golf Club (private)
Awendaw

Country Club of Charleston (private)
Charleston

Ralston Creek Course (private)
Daniel Island

Value Golf:

RiverTowne Country Club (semi-private)
Mt. Pleasant

Dunes West Golf Club (public)
Mt. Pleasant

Charleston National Country Club (public)
Charleston

Links at Stono Ferry (public)
Hollywood

Patriots Point Links (public)
Mt. Pleasant

* all of the Kiawah Resort courses (Turtle Point, Oak Point, Cougar Point, Osprey Point) are fun courses, but expensive. Turtle and Osprey are probably the best of the lot, other than the Ocean course.

Last edited:
jealous... congrats on the golfing upgrade!

Atticus,

I live in Greenville, S.C., went to college in Columbia and lived for a summer in Charleston. We regularly visit that area and I am a member of the SC Golf Course Ratings Panel which has given me access to lots of golf in Charleston. There are many great golf courses in the Charleston area. Some are very pricey and very exclusive, but there are some that aren't. I've listed a few of both below that are must plays if you can get on, and some that are public/resort/good values that you can definitely get on.

High-end Resort:

Ocean Course at Kiawah Resort (resort)
Kiawah Island

Wild Dunes Resort - Links Course (resort)

Seabrook Island Club (resort)
Crooked Oaks Course
Ocean Winds Course

Private/Exclusive:
Yeamans Hall Club (private)
Hanahan

Cassique - Kiawah Island Club (private)
Kiawah Island

River Course - Kiawah Island Club (private)
Kiawah Island

Bulls Bay Golf Club (private)
Awendaw

Country Club of Charleston (private)
Charleston

Ralston Creek Course (private)
Daniel Island

Value Golf:

RiverTowne Country Club (semi-private)
Mt. Pleasant

Dunes West Golf Club (public)
Mt. Pleasant

Charleston National Country Club (public)
Charleston

Links at Stono Ferry (public)
Hollywood

Patriots Point Links (public)
Mt. Pleasant

* all of the Kiawah Resort courses (Turtle Point, Oak Point, Cougar Point, Osprey Point) are fun courses, but expensive. Turtle and Osprey are probably the best of the lot, other than the Ocean course.

Awesome we will have to meet up and play sometime. I dont know if you have played the Charleston AFB golf course but I could get you on sometime after I get there if you want to. And im wondering if any of the local courses give military discounts cause im cheap (well just poor). :smile:

Atticus -- My parents retired to Dunes West. Going to visit them is like going on vacation. I love that course. Be sure to play it if you get the chance. If you're playing in late May / Early June, ask around to see if the winter grass has been killed off and the Bermuda has fully come in. From what I've heard my dad say, that's about the only time the course isn't in great shape.

I've also played Charleston National, and it's a great course as well. I played an epic match there against Leighton "Snuffy" Smith: war hero, four star admiral and father of one of my sister's sorority sisters. I lipped out a chip on 18 and he took me for $10. And man could he talk some trash. One of my favorite rounds ever.

Awesome we will have to meet up and play sometime. I dont know if you have played the Charleston AFB golf course but I could get you on sometime after I get there if you want to. And im wondering if any of the local courses give military discounts cause im cheap (well just poor). :smile:

Sounds great. I'll PM you my contact info and I'll let you know next time I'm in the area. I have not played the Charleston AFB course. Military discounts may be possible, but I'm not sure. Never hurts to ask though.

Back