GOOD Slow play stories

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Had a great experience with slow play this last week and thought I'd share the brighter side of slow play. No Dark Side hitting into here!!!

Called into my course last week and asked if they could fit me in, they said sure and gave me a time. I showed up a bit early to see how things were and where I could sneak in, un-announced to me there were three foursomes ahead of me, I could barely see a group on the 1st green and a four some was about to go off on 1 ahead of me. I putted for a while thinking someone might be along to join up with. No luck. Here's where it goes down the typical slow play road, the guys on the tee wait as if they're going to hit the green, of a par 5, in 1! Then they all proceed to hit two tee shots a piece.

Hole 1 was horribly slow, and hole two was almost as bad, but after I hit my tee shot on three this is where the story takes a turn for the better. They ask as I'm walking up to the green, after they all just hit their tee shots if I want to play through, I gratefully accept and head off on my way, when I get to the green on 4 the group ahead asks if I want to play through, I accept that as well and once I get to the tee on 6 the next group asks, after that is was smooth sailing all to myself. It was nice to run into 12 golfers that were more than happy to wait a bit for me to play through.

Nice GOLFERS are out there, it started out looking bad, but then there was a bright side!

Now that's cool! I bet it was awesome to them too that you didn't have this sense of entitlement that you had to be allowed to play through. Well done all around.

I would of told you to go get your shine box! JK! Glad that worked out for you!

not bad at all, seems hit and miss out there, some people are cool about letting people pass, and some are aholes

We've had a few good stories like that...as a walking foursome, we actually catch a few groups in carts..even a couple twosomes. Most just glare at us, and never offer. But on a few occasions, the twosome seemed to be struggling, and rather than let us bother them, they saw no one else behind us, and just hung out on their tee box, then asked if we'd like to go through. Nice gesture, and I'm sure not having anyone behind to watch them made them enjoy the round more.

nice that some of the people out there will let u play through. slow play can't stand it, i know pga tour pros are getting paid obscene amounts of money but really how do they stand taking 5 hours for a round of golf every day of the week. i played two weeks ago out on the course nobody in front or behind us for at least 2 holes, one hour and a half for 9 for a 2 ball get to the 2nd nine someone else just teeing off 2nd nine takes 2 hours and a half.

at least you have restored my faith in golfers until the next time.

I got waved through a few groups last week and we returned the favor yesterday for a fast playing twosome. I'd rather let them go than see them sitting on the teebox.

I don't expect much when I play as a single, but it is nice when it happens.

Good topic.

This is more a philosophy with some funny quotes from a dear friend (Jim) who passed a couple years back of Kidney Cancer. Playing with our regular foursome (of a mixed skill level).
We're in the fairway and come up the ball of the worst player of our group (who is so horrendously slow we call him "The Human Rain Delay"); he takes his normal 2 or 3 practice swings stand over the ball for 20 seconds and then proceeds to hit this hozel rocket into the woods. He turns and looks at the three of us waiting and says, "Why did it do that", Jim looks at him and says, "Because you suck now get back in the cart and lets go!" It was a classic. This is the same guy who would often say with regards to his somewhat poor play, "If you're gonna suck, at least suck fast".

Needless to say it’s a good memory that we laugh about it to this day.

Well at least you didn't have to IceJack anyone! That's always good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Had a great experience with slow play this last week and thought I'd share the brighter side of slow play. No Dark Side hitting into here!!!

Called into my course last week and asked if they could fit me in, they said sure and gave me a time. I showed up a bit early to see how things were and where I could sneak in, un-announced to me there were three foursomes ahead of me, I could barely see a group on the 1st green and a four some was about to go off on 1 ahead of me. I putted for a while thinking someone might be along to join up with. No luck. Here's where it goes down the typical slow play road, the guys on the tee wait as if they're going to hit the green, of a par 5, in 1! Then they all proceed to hit two tee shots a piece.

Hole 1 was horribly slow, and hole two was almost as bad, but after I hit my tee shot on three this is where the story takes a turn for the better. They ask as I'm walking up to the green, after they all just hit their tee shots if I want to play through, I gratefully accept and head off on my way, when I get to the green on 4 the group ahead asks if I want to play through, I accept that as well and once I get to the tee on 6 the next group asks, after that is was smooth sailing all to myself. It was nice to run into 12 golfers that were more than happy to wait a bit for me to play through.

Nice GOLFERS are out there, it started out looking bad, but then there was a bright side!

Nice to hear about something that turned out good on this topic. I've often said the world is full of idiots, and many of them play golf, but the world is also loaded with nice people, and many of them play golf. Nice to hear you ran into the nice people.

Should we switch it to Icemanning? IceJacking sounds better, but it's not up to me...

Few weeks ago I was behind four old men who took a half an hour to play a PAR 3 and would not let me through. Eventually quit as it was a waste of time to be behind them.

Nah, the Icemann incarnation has never done it as far as we know, so I think it should stay IceJack.

Nice to see guys still doing the right thing out there. I always let someone play thru if it's open in front of us, never cool to kill someones rhythm. I'll never forget years ago we let a group play thru and about 3 holes later the cart girl comes up to us and hands us each a beer and said it was from the twosome we let pass. Very cool of them I thought and totally unnecessary but greatly appreciated. I'm truly a believer in karma and what goes around comes around not just bad but also good.

I told my regular playing partner about IceJacking today, and he thought it was a hoot. He asked if the guy got a black eye from the people he hit into on purpose! hahaha

Should we switch it to Icemanning? IceJacking sounds better, but it's not up to me...

Few weeks ago I was behind four old men who took a half an hour to play a PAR 3 and would not let me through. Eventually quit as it was a waste of time to be behind them.
Nope, it's IceJacking. If we change it to Icemanning, what do we do when you change your name again? :eyepoke:

Besides, IceJacking is a tradition now. A forever term.

Once when play was really slow, I got drunk as Dean Martin. That was a great round.

Kevin

ive had the same thing happen to me a few times got to play through a few groups during my round. i golf alone a lot and i don't expect to rush through groups but if they let me play through thats great. and i always do the same for other singles when im with a group of guys.

This same thing happened to me twice last year. Once with 3 groups, and once with 2 groups where 1 group was husbands and the other wives. Unfortunately, those stories (for me anyway) are in the vast minority. Normally, unless being pressed from behind as well, I'll finish the hole and then pull out a few extra balls and hit some shots from different spots around the green and try to get up and down. By the time I hit 3 or 6 balls and putt them all out, I'm usually good to go and play the entire next hole without waiting between shots.

I had it happen last year too. Went out with my neighbor Shorty to the local course one afternoon after work. We played through a threesome, a foursome, and then clear sailing as we were third group out after a shotgun start tournament.

Played the whole 18 in 3 hours 30 min.

Had it go the other way too. A course ranger at Kananaskis came up and started giving us a hard time at the wrong time. We has been crawling up the group in front of us butt nearly the whole round and let him have it when he mentioned speeding up play. He ended up to be a nice guy in the end because he came back a couple holes later and apologized.

That was very nice of them. This usually never happens with one group let alone 3.

I was playing with a group the other day and we were behind a 4 some the was painfully slow. I am sure by 18 there was no one ahead of them for 5 holes. It was funny that one of the guys I was playing with said to me. "you know these guys are going to go home and tell everyone how great of a day it was cause there was no one holding them up all day" There may have been a few other words I left out that started with a f. It really made my day.

Back