Presidential Address

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I am going to watch. I hope it's good; I don't want another Ice Cream speech.

I'm watching...

...we'll see.

I just cant take all of the clapping. It drives me nuts.

I just cant take all of the clapping. It drives me nuts.

Agree 100%. Overall, I liked the tone of the speech. Beyond that, I guess we'll see.

It was a good speech, I never seem to get too much behind what politicians say. I cant say I agree with his stance on high school drop outs and College grads though.

We'll see.

It was a good speech, I never seem to get too much behind what politicians say. I cant say I agree with his stance on high school drop outs and College grads though.

What was that, Gas? I must've missed it. Was it that they outnumber the dropouts right now?

I missed the whole thing. Anyone care to recap in less than 150 words?

I missed the whole thing. Anyone care to recap in less than 150 words?

Bunches of people clapped for 10 or so mins when Obama entered.
Obama: "Change will come, things will get better, I closed Gitmo"...that's what I caught.
Anything I missed?

The only way to solve this is to trust me... government must solve this (da da da expand the government and all that jazz)...

Bunches of people clapped for 10 or so mins when Obama entered.
Obama: "Change will come, things will get better, I closed Gitmo"...that's what I caught.
Anything I missed?

So he recapped his election ads?

So he recapped his election ads?

Oh I forgot, he also promised that the government wasn't going to get bigger. And...I'm googling it, but I can't find anything else.

So yes. Style, B+. Substance, F. (Mind you, I even like him I think, I just thought maybe with all that talking, someone might say something.)

So yes. Style, B+. Substance, F. (Mind you, I even like him I think, I just thought maybe with all that talking, someone might say something.)

I guess all that matters is he can give a good speach regardless of the material it covers. I'll look into what he had to say last night.

it goes like this...

three to four words (pause, look)... continues sentence (he might make a hand gesture)... three to four words (period).

blah, blah, blah, blah....

meanwhile Nancy Pelosi is foaming at the mouth in the corner! did you know America will lose 5 million jobs a month?

I guess all that matters is he can give a good speach regardless of the material it covers. I'll look into what he had to say last night.

I just honestly don't think he has anything to say yet. We're in tough, really cr@ppy times right now - one guy took 8 years to muss it up and this guy has been in there maybe a month? They passed a bill but haven't even divvied the money yet. All he can make are assurances and "when I'm president I will" type speeches, so yes, it's like the election again.

(DD: lost jobs hurt, but I'm with the group that can't even get a first job. That's all I hope for the dozens of unemployed from my graduating class. We're not on unemployment, because my understanding is you can't get unemployment until you've been employed to begin with. So you have to be employed to get unemployment. Does that make sense?)

One of the local news stations did a little "fact checking" on his speach last night. He mentioned that his administration has identified cuts that will have savings over the next decade. The news station pointed out that he only has control over the next four and possibly eight years. After that it's up to the new president on whether to keep the cuts or not.

Most of this stuff confuses me anyways. :confused2:

I just honestly don't think he has anything to say yet. We're in tough, really cr@ppy times right now - one guy took 8 years to muss it up and this guy has been in there maybe a month? They passed a bill but haven't even divvied the money yet. All he can make are assurances and "when I'm president I will" type speeches, so yes, it's like the election again.

(DD: lost jobs hurt, but I'm with the group that can't even get a first job. That's all I hope for the dozens of unemployed from my graduating class. We're not on unemployment, because my understanding is you can't get unemployment until you've been employed to begin with. So you have to be employed to get unemployment. Does that make sense?)

1.) you're smarter than that... that is the ultimate black/white comment *there is a great deal of grey matter here* - the president is given far to much credit/blame for the economy (I dont want to get political here, but it is a fact...) Clinton rode the dot.com boom *all driven by private industry* and Bush had to surf the current financial crisis, the state we are in now has some do to with washingon (mainly due to democratic leaders forcing the standards to be lowered for loans and giving incentives to loan mortages to minorities and other groups who were passed over in the past)... in what way did Bush affect how the private sector made their investments? with all investments carry a risk, and in this case they made some wrong moves...

2.) unemployment is unemployment insurance... if you dont have a job and you receive funds from the government, that is welfare. unemployment is based on a percentage of your income, is taxable, and dries up pretty fast if you don't find a new job

as for not finding that work, far to complicated for this...

I am a Republican all the way. I am not happy with the current administration. But to say that our previous president had nothing to do with our economy problems is a little out there. I think we should not get this thread going in this direction though. If people want to comment on the speech that is fine.

I am a Republican all the way. I am not happy with the current administration. But to say that our previous president had nothing to do with our economy problems is a little out there. I think we should not get this thread going in this direction though. If people want to comment on the speech that is fine.

he could have made different moves... but JB, the moonbats out there love throwing it out there that Bush ruined the world and that is just crazy.

he can't speak in public = he must be terrible

Again, we will keep this thread about the speech.

1.)*there is a great deal of grey matter here* - the president is given far to much credit/blame for the economy (I dont want to get political here, but it is a fact...)

I am a Republican all the way. I am not happy with the current administration. But to say that our previous president had nothing to do with our economy problems is a little out there.

Agree with both of you. My main point was that just not a lot can happen in a month, so there's not going to be a lot (new) to comment on.

Agree with both of you. My main point was that just not a lot can happen in a month, so there's not going to be a lot (new) to comment on.

if nothing can happen in a month why did we have to rush the bill through... how many congressman/senators read an 1100 page document in two days?

if nothing can happen in a month why did we have to rush the bill through...

Oh come on DD, I think you know what she meant. You're just hurting your own argument when you make comments like that.

You aren't going to see the effects of policy changes in a month. That doesn't mean you sit around and do nothing. The economy is crashing. It's the issue that got the President elected. Whether or not you (or I) agree with what was done is a separate issue. Something had to be done and it was first on the list.

I understand what you are saying harry... when I made that statement I didn't mean do the exact opposite of rushing by doing nothing... the first TARP bill was rushed, it didn't work... they needed to have much more oversight and regulation with how the TARP funds were spent

now, they just passed a bill that is loaded with a TON of money going to USELESS places

I apologize Julie... =(

back on topic... I'd like to see less speaches by Obama and more forums/hearings from his team

Back