Things That Irritate You On the Course?

I'm guessing you played from the back tees too? I am guessing with your handicap that it was OK for you to, but what if you had said, "Why don't we move up a box (or two) and see how that goes?". Then they would have been playing form the appropriate tees, and you would have been playing the course from a different perspective. Maybe they played back because you were?

I was a walk on and was grouped with the other 3. They were already on the tee box when the starter asked me to join them. When I walked up they said they were playing the back tees because "it was more of a challenge". The truth is, it would have been a challenge for them from the ladies tee. I actually did suggest that we all move up a tee which offended them. One of them actually had the sense to move to the correct tee, but it was 10 holes into the round.

I can agree with Sevenfifty about the back tee play, but I'm most irritated with a slow pace of play, especially when its obvious that we're waiting behind them and there is room in front of them for us to play through.

I had that group in front of me yesterday as well!

Were you playing in Sarasota, FL by any chance? That's how the group in front of me was yesterday, 1 good golfer, and the other 3 couldn't get off the tee.

Northern California, but unfortunately it is a very common problem!

Eaten sunflower seed shells on the green (or anywhere on the course) is also disgusting. I like seeds, I eat seeds, but spit them in a cup, not on the green so I have to pick them up (which is basically like having to put my fingers in your mouth), yuk

I would have to say that my biggest pet peeve is when I see people push their push cart across the green. I'm not in the best shape but I would never take a shortcut across the green with the cart.

Probably already covered, but I call them Jim Nantz... you know... The guy who will tell you what club he is hitting, the shot shape, his thought process, and then what happened after they proceed to hit their ball in the woods.... lol

Alrighty, so yesterday my buddy and I are playing one of our favorite friendly muni's. Always pretty low keyed place. There was a single behind us. We teed off and my buddy hit a big old banana ball on to the last hole's fairway. Didn't come within 200 yards of the single behind us. As my friend crossed through the trees between fairways to hit his ball, after the guy behind had hit I might add, it took him a few minutes to find his ball as the "gentleman" behind us had stomped it into the fairway. Took a divot tool to extricate it from the ground. He abandoned after nine (the next hole), thank goodness.

No doubt, you're on a golf course with AMATEURS, bad shots are going to happen (and in some cases, good shots), All you can do is be aware, always yell FORE! and just hope no one gets hit (and even if we/they do) it's still an accident.
Last year in a tournament, I was on a green on a blind short par4 True Dog-Leg Left ~ 300 to carry), a ball literally lands 5' in front of me and bounces over my head. It freaked me out, but the group behind me didn't do it on purpose. We yelled to let them know we were still on the green. Heck of a shot though.

Being caught on the course with Imodium AD in a situation where you really need it.

People who lose it when they hit bad shots. I understand Tour players or Low-Handicappers doing it because they expect better. But mid-high handicappers have no business getting pissy over it. It's a game so enjoy it. The easier and more relaxed you are, the better you play.

People who lose it when they hit bad shots. I understand Tour players or Low-Handicappers doing it because they expect better. But mid-high handicappers have no business getting pissy over it. It's a game so enjoy it. The easier and more relaxed you are, the better you play.

Agree with that. I can understand a little frustration/cursing/etc, but a full scale freak out is just awkward.

Agree with that. I can understand a little frustration/cursing/etc, but a full scale freak out is just awkward.
I think all people should throw clubs like we see on TV. It makes you look really cool.

I think all people should throw clubs like we see on TV. It makes you look really cool.

And yell at yourself that's always cool too..

"Tiger you SUCK" always brings a smile to my face

I hate it when the water jug is empty. Thats about the only thing that bothers me.

Right handed golfers. Idiots every one.

Kevin

Right handed golfers. Idiots every one.

Kevin

They stand on the wrong side of the ball and have more club options. With all those options you would think they'd be better. Garbage.

The only time I wish I was a lefty is when I'm on the right side of a tree (relative to the path between you and the green) or other obstruction.

All these new spikeless golf shoes. wtc? Golf shoes have spikes. Ride a bike or go sailing in your spikeless shoes.

Kevin

All these new spikeless golf shoes. wtc? Golf shoes have spikes. Ride a bike or go sailing in your spikeless shoes.

Kevin
I don't think I'm crazy about them either.

^^^^^^
That was already posted fyi

As for my rant it happened today while I was practicing. I'm putting on our pretty big putting green(has atleast 5 holes on it and idk what the sq. ft would be but it's pretty decent size) anyways i'm putting maybe 3 minutes in. All of a sudden this random gentleman putts at my hole(no one else is on the green) and makes it. I don't look up but I nod and he just stops until I make my other two putts. I'm thinking "seriously? my hole out of the other ones?" Well he continued to do this. I'm clearly putting towards a hole and I watch him aim at mine and putt. I just couldn't believe it.

^^^^^^
That was already posted fyi

As for my rant it happened today while I was practicing. I'm putting on our pretty big putting green(has atleast 5 holes on it and idk what the sq. ft would be but it's pretty decent size) anyways i'm putting maybe 3 minutes in. All of a sudden this random gentleman putts at my hole(no one else is on the green) and makes it. I don't look up but I nod and he just stops until I make my other two putts. I'm thinking "seriously? my hole out of the other ones?" Well he continued to do this. I'm clearly putting towards a hole and I watch him aim at mine and putt. I just couldn't believe it.

Maybe he wanted to talk to you, but couldn't summon the courage to break the ice? (I haven't met you, but I hear you're quite the catch)

(I have fewer than 100 posts -- hope I haven't broken some unwritten THP rule about premature smart-assed-ness with my THP "elders"?)

Maybe he wanted to talk to you, but couldn't summon the courage to break the ice? (I haven't met you, but I hear you're quite the catch)

(I have fewer than 100 posts -- hope I haven't broken some unwritten THP rule about premature smart-assed-ness with my THP "elders"?)
Maybe he was auto-putting?

Maybe he was auto-putting?

I can honestly say it wouldn't have bothered me if it was a busy day with more then just us on the green. I just have never had that happen to me let alone when it's just two people on the green. And quite the catch? He should have seen me in my sunday orange getup haha

Today, I golfed as a single. 4 hour round. 4 old men in front of me, 2 old guys behind me. The guys behind me constantly were hitting up on me, glaring at me while I waited for the 4 sum in front of me to clear the green.

Walking off 17 green one of them hit into me, almost hitting me. I waited until they drove up, I walk, and asked them what their rush is. We are backed up. Were they going to be late for the early bird diner special? They were pissed and I asked them to show a little golf etiquette. They never yelled fore all day and came relatively close to me more than a few times.

Last hole is adorn hill par 3. 165 tee to pin. I pulled my drive into the left green side trap and S L O W L Y walked down to the trap. Went into the trap, then walked on the green reading the breaks like a pro would. Punched out of the trap to 12 - 15 feet from the pin. Looking back I could see both grandpas with their hands on their hips or shaking fists at me.

I read the put from several vantages, like Carmello Vejegas. They start yelling at me. I make the put, slowly put the flag in, slowly walk across the total length of the green, stopping to repair 5 - 6 ball marks and stood behind the green on the walk way and waved at my new friends.

I was going to wait for them to finish and clap when they holed out, ask for their autographs, etc., but I am not that big of a dick.

BTW, I am 56, in very good shape, very respectful of every golfer out there, but trying to hit me and harass me really irritated these to codgers. They ruined their day, not mine. LOL! Did they think they could beat me up?

I'm not sure if this should irritate me or not -- I often play on a cheap 9-hole course, so expectations aren't too high. Still, many of the "older players" (probably >60yrs old, maybe 70) drive a cart, and drive right up to their ball no matter how close it is to the green. I mean, they'll park their cart 5 feet from the green, chip on, then move the cart. This happens A LOT. I've never seen them drive on the green (thank God), but they'll pull up right in front of the green, where there is a lot of chipping, maybe even putting, from just off the green.

Like I said, it's an inexpensive course, so I don't expect the best etiquette (don't get me started on ball marks!), but this bothers me.

What do you think -- should I be cutting the older guys some slack? I'm almost 50, but I hope no matter what the age, I can walk from 20 feet off the green to my ball, and then back again. Still, some of these gentlemen clearly have hip/knee/other joint problems.

What do you think about this?

Back