Golf coverage on TV...

fastbasser

Reaction score
Handicap
As an avid golfer, I enjoy watching it on TV. The coverage, especially from the Golf Channel is starting to make me get fed up. I have come to the conclusion they have offered all the broadcasters $1 every time they say "Tiger".. Most want to collect $1,000,000 by the 4th of July. The worst of the tv bunch, Kuselias, wants to get the money by April fools day.. That fool knows less about golf than 99% of the folks on this site.. I have no idea how he got hired there..

Last I checked there are many great golfers on the tour. They show all of Tigers" high lights" regardless of how he does. Enough already..

JMHO.

It doesn't bother me even thought I'm not a Tiger fan. He's the biggest story on the tour and has been for the past 15 years and will be for the next 5-7.

I hate following golf on tv. Tiger is mentioned way too much. Not only that, but he can be no where close to making the cut and they still follow him constantly. He's good, but there are other golfers on there in better shape than he is often that deserve recognition IMHO.

I have a great idea. Start your own golf network. Now once you get it going, mention Tiger as little as possible. At the end of 2 months lets see how much revenue you are generating. My guess will be not much. Tiger still drives viewers which in turn will get advertisers.

But surely surely surely seeing a lot more of the Fowlers, Overtons etc as opposed to Tiger walking is preferable?

Totally get the interest in Tiger. What I don't get is the virtual lack of coverage of other golfers, bar Rory.

Surely there's a happy medium? And a concern that fans start to switch off?

I have a great idea. Start your own golf network. Now once you get it going, mention Tiger as little as possible. At the end of 2 months lets see how much revenue you are generating. My guess will be not much. Tiger still drives viewers which in turn will get advertisers.

Well put my, my little leprechaunish friend. Like it or not, Tiger still moves the needle for so many, its about brand awareness.

But surely surely surely seeing a lot more of the Fowlers, Overtons etc as opposed to Tiger walking is preferable?

Totally get the interest in Tiger. What I don't get is the virtual lack of coverage of other golfers, bar Rory.

Surely there's a happy medium? And a concern that fans start to switch off?

TGC is not trying to get us. They already have us. They are trying to get more of the casual viewer. The casual viewer only wants Tiger right now. Hopefully soon they will jump on board at least the Rory train. But as of right now it's Tiger and no one else. Just look at the ratings and the gate receipts for tournaments with Tiger as opposed to without him. That tells you everything

Well put my, my little leprechaunish friend. Like it or not, Tiger still moves the needle for so many, its about brand awareness.

Yep. Don't have to like the guy, and I really don't all that much, but there is no denying the fact that he still matters when it comes to the head count at the events and on tv. As they say, it is what it is. Get over it or watch something else is about all one can do. I still watch because Tiger is not the only story out there.

TW moves the needle. He is the reason for the record attendance at the Honda Classic this week.

As Chunky said, the casual golfer which makes up the vast majority of the viewership tune in to see him. There is a reason that viewership is down when he is not in the tourney.

Team Hackers tapping!

As has been said, Tigger was, is, and will be the biggest story in golf no matter how he's doing. He's one of, if not the, best of all time. I don't mind it. I love watching Tigger a lot of the time.

TGC is not trying to get us. They already have us. They are trying to get more of the casual viewer. The casual viewer only wants Tiger right now. Hopefully soon they will jump on board at least the Rory train. But as of right now it's Tiger and no one else. Just look at the ratings and the gate receipts for tournaments with Tiger as opposed to without him. That tells you everything

A good point. This actually isn't too bad now - watching in uk. We get our coverage from (I think) golf channel and NBC. Not sure who is providing the feed presently but the coverage is pretty varied.

Gentlemen.. We all know he "moves the needle". I feel he is followed by "wanna bee's" and those who don't really know how to play the game. Does he make money for golf on TV? Yes. He is still an egotistical asshole though. He thinks his crap doesn't stink.

If he got caught with 6 more hookers and quit golf, I would probably watch golf more....:drinks:

Lmao! The Golf Channel needs competition.

I'm not a Tiger fan in the least but I kind of root for him to succeed. His success equals more success and exposure for other up and comers. To the non-golf enthusiast it's Tiger (maybe Phil) and everyone else.

Tapped that!

Gentlemen.. We all know he "moves the needle". I feel he is followed by "wanna bee's" and those who don't really know how to play the game. Does he make money for golf on TV? Yes. He is still an egotistical asshole though. He thinks his crap doesn't stink.

If he got caught with 6 more hookers and quit golf, I would probably watch golf more....:drinks:

You continue to state your opinions about Tiger, which not everyone agrees with. I highly doubt the GC is going to stop showing the most popular player in the world simply because a small group of people who know how "really play the game", as you put it, think he is an idiot. If you don't want to watch, than dont. That or turn it down.

:confused2:

HA! The Golf Channel should stop covering and discussing Tiger! I have heard it all now. I guess NBC should have stopped showing Michael Jordan vs _______________ (Insert team here) because Jordan retired for a year and it was time to move on to greener grasses. Tiger moves the needle. A well run company knows this (Nike is obviously still a huge fan of his).

I can't agree more with the OP. Pretty ridiculous to keep mentioning a guy on his way to a 62 and being the leader in the clubhouse. What were they thinking?

Give me more coverage of Rose and English dropping shots. That's what real golf fans want to see.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You continue to state your opinions about Tiger, which not everyone agrees with. I highly doubt the GC is going to stop showing the most popular player in the world simply because a small group of people who know how "really play the game", as you put it, think he is an idiot. If you don't want to watch, than dont. That or turn it down.

I just gave my opinion. If you think he is a class act, more power to you!

Well put. They talk about Tiger so much because thats who people want them talking about. I get annoyed by it sometimes too but the fact is that Tiger is still the face of golf.

i think they need to show more win mcmurry :alien:

I just gave my opinion. If you think he is a class act, more power to you!

I didn't say I think he is a class act, though he pulls the viewers in as he is a great golfer. Which is probably why the GOLF CHANNEL follows him extensively.

McIlrot, Mr Consistent, looks like a lock. Great stories from Nicklaus too. A good day

McIlrot, Mr Consistent, looks like a lock. Great stories from Nicklaus too. A good day

He is doing a great job so far. Steady as a rock. Nicklaus is the greatest!! Ya gotta respect the man..

Back