What Golf Stuff Did You Buy Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a dozen Callaway Hex Black Tour today. So far I'm pretty impressed with them. Much better feel with the putter than my Srixon. Great off the driver and wedges, didn't get to hit very many iron shots with them. Not sure about the durability though. Despite their claims of enhanced durability, mine was fairly scuffed after 6 holes. I'll be putting them into play this week though, trusting them.

My dad finally caved in and bought me full-sized irons, partially as an early birthday present, partially because I made the middle school golf team. I ordered Taylormade R9's in 4-SW with a fujikura motore senior flex shaft in them. So excited and ground shipping from global golf to charlotte takes a day or two, so one day this week… :). On a side note, I also went to golf galaxy and got the Oakley shirt Rory was wearing today. So I'm pretty excited right now.

I really don't want to nag, but buying senior flex was a really bad idea. You're gonna grow out of those probably before high school and if not then freshman year. Then you gotta go buy new shafts. I made the same mistake (with regular flex graphite) and now I have a completely useless set of irons sitting around waiting for my cousin to grow up so I can give them to him.

I really don't want to nag, but buying senior flex was a really bad idea. You're gonna grow out of those probably before high school and if not then freshman year. Then you gotta go buy new shafts. I made the same mistake (with regular flex graphite) and now I have a completely useless set of irons sitting around waiting for my cousin to grow up so I can give them to him.
Why shouldn't he have irons that fit him now? Worry about the future later, for now he is playing with irons that fit him right and it 2 years or so he can either get new shafts which is not that expensive, or a new set of irons.

I know most people think I will grow out of them soon, but I'm not super tall to begin with, and my swing speed is extremely low. I get all of my distance off a nice solid tempo, and even then I don't hit it huge. Even if I do grow out of them soon, my dad got a great deal on them ($400).

I know most people think I will grow out of them soon, but I'm not super tall to begin with, and my swing speed is extremely low. I get all of my distance off a nice solid tempo, and even then I don't hit it huge. Even if I do grow out of them soon, my dad got a great deal on them ($400).

I'm not referring to height, I'm referring to swing speed. Your swing speed is low now, but you will most likely become a lot stronger in the next two years and then not be able to control the shafts you have now and need steel (or maybe S or X graphite if you like graphite) which depending on the shaft + installation is going to run you $150+. My pro says that a kid shouldn't make any big golf club buys until at least junior year unless money grows on trees in his family because he's just going to grow out of them. And every time I buy something that comes true.

I'm not referring to height, I'm referring to swing speed. Your swing speed is low now, but you will most likely become a lot stronger in the next two years and then not be able to control the shafts you have now and need steel (or maybe S or X graphite if you like graphite) which depending on the shaft + installation is going to run you $150+. My pro says that a kid shouldn't make any big golf club buys until at least junior year unless money grows on trees in his family because he's just going to grow out of them. And every time I buy something that comes true.
My favorite club in my bag right now (910F) is senior flex. My club pro says I should be in ladies' flex, but I think it's all about finding clubs that fit your swing and you hit well. Also, I had to pay half for the irons so it was hard earned cash babysitting and mowing lawns and the like. My parents don't really give me anything I have to put in the work to earn it.

So he can get them re-shafted when the time comes. Better to play what fits you now than what might fit you later.

Why shouldn't he have irons that fit him now? Worry about the future later, for now he is playing with irons that fit him right and it 2 years or so he can either get new shafts which is not that expensive, or a new set of irons.
Totally agree! If he plays something that DOESN'T fit now, then he'll develop swing flaws! No, this coach says play what fits you now. In a couple years, Lord knows there'll be new equipment out there, and he can get fit again then, especially if he's improving, getting stronger, growing, etc. Sheesh! Good job, kid! You did the right thing!

Bought two new Callaway hats (one white, one gray), a dozen 2012 B330-S, and the Ping icradle.

My dad finally caved in and bought me full-sized irons, partially as an early birthday present, partially because I made the middle school golf team. I ordered Taylormade R9's in 4-SW with a fujikura motore senior flex shaft in them. So excited and ground shipping from global golf to charlotte takes a day or two, so one day this week… :). On a side note, I also went to golf galaxy and got the Oakley shirt Rory was wearing today. So I'm pretty excited right now.

Congrats tmtitleist!! That sure is exciting. I agree with CB and Smalls, play what fits you now and worry about stiffer shafts later. I can't wait for you to get them in and start playing with them. Hit 'em well and keep us updated on how you like them!

Most people won't, at least not here. Some people might tell you to do something that isn't the best thing, but most people here will try not to steer you the wrong direction.

Congrats tmtitleist!! That sure is exciting. I agree with CB and Smalls, play what fits you now and worry about stiffer shafts later. I can't wait for you to get them in and start playing with them. Hit 'em well and keep us updated on how you like them!
Thanks Jeff! I've got golf team practice Monday tuesday friday and a match on Thursday, so I will definitely get some good use on them this week. On a side note, if I did want to post a long-term review of it, should I make a new thread or add to a current one? Just wondering.

Thanks Jeff! I've got golf team practice Monday tuesday friday and a match on Thursday, so I will definitely get some good use on them this week. On a side note, if I did want to post a long-term review of it, should I make a new thread or add to a current one? Just wondering.
Probably best to add it to the current R9 thread.

Picked up the Bushnell 1600 Rangefinder from butters the other day, looking forward to using it

Probably best to add it to the current R9 thread.
Alright I will if I can find it. It's probably buried under close to half a year's worth of posts… time to break out the old finger shovels on the keyboard and dig around a little bit. :)

Awesome. Best of luck to you.

Alright I will if I can find it. It's probably buried under close to half a year's worth of posts… time to break out the old finger shovels on the keyboard and dig around a little bit. :)

Finger shovels, I love it. I'll have to use that one in the future.
Here is the thread: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...ormade-R9-Irons&highlight=TaylorMade+R9+Irons

If a junior golfer wants to a be a competitive player, he's needs to understand he or his parents are going to have to spend some money on clubs a number of times. Yes, it's expensive, but it's necessary. At a seminar my wife, daughter, and I attended last year at the Chicago golf show, the speaker, who was one of the finest female players to ever come out of the state of WI, who coached the University of WI Badgers women for a number of seasons and the Northwestern women for 16 seasons, made an interesting analogy. She said if your child wanted to be a competitive player, it is important they play the correct clubs. That clubs can be likened to a Winter jacket. You wear it for a year, maybe two, then you get a new one that fits you better.

Your pro is wrong. Or maybe he's not speaking about junior players looking to improve and play competitively. Sounds to me like the young man who has chosen the senior shafts has made the correct choice, and he understands he'll need a change as he improves.

Playing with clubs you'll "grow into" is going to hamper improvement. It's that simple.

Kevin

If a junior golfer wants to a be a competitive player, he's needs to understand he or his parents are going to have to spend some money on clubs a number of times. Yes, it's expensive, but it's necessary. At a seminar my wife, daughter, and I attended last year at the Chicago golf show, the speaker, who was one of the finest female players to ever come out of the state of WI, who coached the University of WI Badgers women for a number of seasons and the Northwestern women for 16 seasons, made an interesting analogy. She said if your child wanted to be a competitive player, it is important they play the correct clubs. That clubs can be likened to a Winter jacket. You wear it for a year, maybe two, then you get a new one that fits you better.

Your pro is wrong. Or maybe he's not speaking about junior players looking to improve and play competitively. Sounds to me like the young man who has chosen the senior shafts has made the correct choice, and he understands he'll need a change as he improves.

Playing with clubs you'll "grow into" is going to hamper improvement. It's that simple.

Kevin
But you're not an expert. :alien:

And I'm not suggesting a kid needs the newest and most expensive model club available every year or two. In fact used clubs may be the best option. But most kids should start with junior clubs, then ladies, then senior, then regular graphite or steel depending on what they can handle, and so on. But too much shaft is not a good thing.

IMHOGLWS.

Kevin

Look at those senior flex clubs. Just sittin' over there, waiting to get manhandled.

I just ordered myself a Titleist 910 F 15° Fairway Wood. And i am looking forward to use it :banana:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back