To Torture myself or not?

mikedean441

6X HOF
Reaction score
Handicap
Im heading out to Vegas on Thursday, playing 4 rounds in 3 days, with the final round at wolf creek
http://www.golfwolfcreek.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=863&page=48604

One of the Top 30 courses in the US, starting looking at pics, scorecards, etc and stumbled across this. The question is, do I consider this a once in a lifetime chance to play the course and torture myself (assuming Im driving good that week) and play from the tips for the full experience, or do I come back down to earth and play Masters or Champions where I belong? This would also depend on if the course was crowded, etc as I dont want to hold anyone up....thoughts

TeesSlope RatingYardageParPlayer Type
Challenger15475.46,93972 Professional Player
Champions 13870.96,309720 - 8 Handicap
Masters13468.25,798729 - 19 Handicap
Signature (Men)12565.750647220 - 25 Handicap
Signature (Ladies)12768.45,064 72
Classics 4,1017226+ Handicap
Classics (Ladies) 106 61.0 4,101 72

If I were striping the ball, and the course wasn't busy, I'd give it a shot at first, but if it got too frustrating, I'd move up a tee or two.

If I were striping the ball, and the course wasn't busy, I'd give it a shot at first, but if it got too frustrating, I'd move up a tee or two.

for sure, if Im not driving the ball good the first 3 rounds, no way am I considering the tips at all

Once in a lifetime opportunity. Challenger Tees FTW!!

What tees do you usually play? Why do you have to play the tips to experience the course. Go have fun and play it where you normally play

I would play up no matter how well I am hitting the ball.

If its a Once in a Lifetime experience, why not enjoy it and play forward a tee box instead of trying to play the pros tees and torturing yourself?

If you really want to challenge yourself you should tee it up beyond the tips. Go out in the desert and let it fly. Just watch out for the cacti and snakes.

Play your normal yardages you typically play. Ultimately, you're there to have fun and playing beyond your means is a way to not have fun. You're in vegas...

John Deere Tap'n...

Masters tee box and have a good relaxing and fun day of golf. Unless you have your sites on the Nationwide tour or something, enjoy this game by playing where you can relax and smell the roses.

I vote Master's tee box as well. I like to try to shoot my handicap at nearly every course I play and therefore play the appropriate tees for my handicap. I have more fun and make more memories.

Yeah play the Master's. You will not have fun from the tips.

6600 is normally my yardage, I might play the champions or masters, you guys are right, no sense in trying to kill myself out there, I'll let the guys im playing with suffer

6600 is normally my yardage, I might play the champions or masters, you guys are right, no sense in trying to kill myself out there, I'll let the guys im playing with suffer

BOOOOOOOOO. You are playing 3 other rounds to have fun. Man up Mikey boy!

BOOOOOOOOO. You are playing 3 other rounds to have fun. Man up Mikey boy!

maybe I'll man up on the Friday PM round that is 7604 from the tips....not

First rounds of the year, not expecting it to be pretty, gotta give myself a chance out there

Yeah, on second thought, playing the forward tees gives you a more enjoyable experience.

maybe I'll man up on the Friday PM round that is 7604 from the tips....not

First rounds of the year, not expecting it to be pretty, gotta give myself a chance out there

If it is not going to be good anyway, might as well suck all the way..haha

This doesn't make any sense, you will have a lot more fun playing the course from the yardage that you can play from, you will not enjoy the course more from the tips or get any more of an experience. Play from the tees that are appropriate and then try and shot a good score. It would be a lot more fun to say you shot an 80 at that course than say you shot a 110 from the tips.

I say play from where you're used to playing. No sense in spoiling a really nice course by playing too much yardage. Have fun and play from a yardage you're comfortable with! I would love to play Wolf Creek. I murder that course in Tiger Woods!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also, I learned my lesson comparing the yardages of what I normally play to the course I was playing on vacation. The evil geniuses who design these things can make 6800 yards feel like 7800 pretty easily.

Having taken that beating, I now compare slope/rating.

I'm playing that course in April. Probably from 6,300.

Kevin

It depends on how you've been playing and how comfortable you are with the distances.

ugh damn you mike lol .. i am in vegas at the end of march and now you got me trying to somehow squeeze this into my plans . who knows how long it will be before i get back i might as well go play it right?

I don't understand why it would matter? If I was playing a course like that I would still play in my yardage range. Just because it is a top course doesn't mean you need to play it from all the way back. It is going to be gorgeous no matter what.

I would play the "Masters" as my course is a 134, If the group I was in wanted to play the "Champion tees" I would play those as well. My number one thing is to have fun and enjoy a new course. Enjoy it Mike!

Back