TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

I think I have finally decided on a grip for my R11's, the new GP NDMC Whiteout White/Red. I think these will look amazing on them, only downside is they dont have them in midsize which I need so I think I will just go 3 wraps of tape maybe 4 under them. I am really itching for this season to start so I can get to know these a lot better. Getting them at the very end of the season last year just left me wanting so much more time and I cant have that over winter! They really clicked after I had the lie angle corrected when they were shipped wrong and I think these could be a game changer for me this year.

I have been trying several different iron sets over the past few weeks and think i may have settled on the R11's (this forum has been a great help in this process). Thinking of the 4i -9i which would complement my wedge set up nicely.

What i'm trying to decide is how to fill my gap between RBZ 3fw (15*) and the R11 4i (21*). Considering the RBZ 3hybrid (19*) or the R11 3i (19*). I have never had a hybrid in my bag so its proving a tough decision. Any thoughts from those with more experience?

I'm in the same boat right now. i should be getting my R11's sometime this week and am going to try and hit them at an indoor range this weekend. I haven't gotten anything to go between the 4I and 3W yet because I want to see how I hit the 4I before I decide. If I hit it well I will probably get the 3I, if not probably a 5W. I'm just not a hybrid kind of guy, I've had a couple and never took the time to learn how to hit them right. I really like irons best so I'm hoping I can hit the long irons well.

Id wait to see your distances with the 4 and see how you hit it too..... i think its an easy 4 iron to hit and i do have a club to fill in somewhere and have thought about the 3 iron quite a bit actually, i just dunno where i wanna fill it in quite yet. Congrats on the new irons.

I've had my R11's since before Xmas and finally got to play them on the course. Up until today it has always been the driving range off mats. They were absolutely terrific. My long irons were the straightest I have ever hit them and it made the round more enjoyable to have an iron that I trusted. Now if I could just get off the tee :act-up:

I've had my R11's since before Xmas and finally got to play them on the course. Up until today it has always been the driving range off mats. They were absolutely terrific. My long irons were the straightest I have ever hit them and it made the round more enjoyable to have an iron that I trusted. Now if I could just get off the tee :act-up:

Thats awesome to hear Mike... im glad you had a good first round with them.... wait till you hit them for a while.... did you get graphite shafts or steel?

I got to play real golf today with my new R11's. I am in love, I know new club honeymoon, the long irons and mid irons feel fantastic. I hit some really good shots with them today. I struggled a little with the PW-SW. The feel of the PW-SW is very different than the Mizuno wedges I have been playing and it will take some time to get comfortable with them. I hit some good shots but some bad ones as well, mostly thin shots. The biggest difference was little 25-35 yrd pitch shots but these will come around as I get more time with the R11's. I am very happy with my choice so far and highly recommend anyone on the fence about these to jump off and get them.

Earl

I got to play real golf today with my new R11's. I am in love, I know new club honeymoon, the long irons and mid irons feel fantastic. I hit some really good shots with them today. I struggled a little with the PW-SW. The feel of the PW-SW is very different than the Mizuno wedges I have been playing and it will take some time to get comfortable with them. I hit some good shots but some bad ones as well, mostly thin shots. The biggest difference was little 25-35 yrd pitch shots but these will come around as I get more time with the R11's. I am very happy with my choice so far and highly recommend anyone on the fence about these to jump off and get them.

Earl

Great deal Earl. Most of us didn't really lose that "honeymoon" feeling with them. Actually, I think the longer we had these clubs, the more in love we became (the testers). I know that I still haven't found a set of irons that I like more than the R11s I have. I am thinking about switching them over to the KBS Tour shafts. My test set came with the graphites. I liked them, but I think I'll like the steel shafts more. Just in pondering mode right now.

Earl, 2shoes is correct. All of the testers really enjoyed the benefits of such a technical iron. Great in all situations with great distance, forgiveness and height.

Thats awesome to hear Mike... im glad you had a good first round with them.... wait till you hit them for a while.... did you get graphite shafts or steel?

I have a rather slow swing because of my back and ended up getting the Senior Graphites. They are just so smooth. I did pick up some distance and don't have to swing hard at all. A nice easy tempo and the ball is gone.

I'm headed to the range as soon as the Aleve kicks in. It's nuts it 65 here today. :beauty:

I agree 100% with the tester's that the more you hit these clubs the more in love u become. I have had mine about 2 or 3 months now and every time I hit them it gets better. Best irons I've ever had hands down

I have a rather slow swing because of my back and ended up getting the Senior Graphites. They are just so smooth. I did pick up some distance and don't have to swing hard at all. A nice easy tempo and the ball is gone.

I'm headed to the range as soon as the Aleve kicks in. It's nuts it 65 here today. :beauty:

good stuff mike.

Mike - where about in Maryland are ya?

I am also down to a slow SS due to age and almost got the Senior flex but I was afraid the 55g shaft would be a little light for me. I ordered these with the regular flex but soft stepped once and I really like the way they turned out. I played again today, shots were still good with the longer clubs and I'm starting to get a better feel for the PW-SW clubs. Hit some really good wedges and chip shots today. I wish I had the ability better express how great these clubs feel. I am 66 and have been playing for about 60 of those years. I was a very good golfer in my youth and have played with some of the best irons made. The R11's just have something about them that clicks with me and I think I will be very happy for years to come.

Earl

I wish I had the ability better express how great these clubs feel.

I couldn't agree more. I was headed to the range today to work on driving but a friend called and we went off to play a round. I still suck off the tee so I used my 4 iron and all my irons were just great. Got to use a great variety of clubs today and hit them all extremely well, even the off center shots usually came off fine. Got my first birdie of the season so I guess I'll keep these clubs :banana:

Great thread everyone. When it comes time to get my new irons, These are a must demo club for me.

i have been lurking in this thread for a long time now and would like to know about anyone's experience with shafts other than the stock offerings.

Mike, As the days are beginning to lengthen I hope that we'll be able to meet up and play soon. Hope your back feels better.

Nice update Buck. I'd have to agree that the long Irons are super you can trust where they are going.

Mike, As the days are beginning to lengthen I hope that we'll be able to meet up and play soon.

Looking foward to it. Definitely have to get longer days, we quit on 17 due to darkness.

well is everyone still enjoying these irons,im in to minds whether to go back to these or just pick up another set of burner 2.0s,was going to pick up the i20s but i miss my TM gear

I'd honestly hit the R11s against the i20s I think they are similar. I'm still loving mine so much I may hold off on new irons for this season even though I may be tempted to switch.

Are there any online golf stores that you can order customised r11 irons from? What i mean by customised is simple stuff like: 2 degress upright, +1/2 inch length and golf pride new deacde grips.

My local offering is rubbish and figure there would be more offerings from the USA via online . Otherwise its a trip to the big box store, noooooooo!

Are there any online golf stores that you can order customised r11 irons from? What i mean by customised is simple stuff like: 2 degress upright, +1/2 inch length and golf pride new deacde grips.

My local offering is rubbish and figure there would be more offerings from the USA via online . Otherwise its a trip to the big box store, noooooooo!

Contact Dennis and Patty at Blind9 Golf. You can click on their banner on the top right of this page in fact. I don't know what shipping may cost to get it to Brisbane, but I bet you they could save you money on the irons themselves, and I know they can custom order for you.

Guys I just wanted to bump this back up after my first real range session of the year and it was like I never quit playing for winter. My first 10 or so balls were not that great (off the toe) but after that I was just puring them pretty much shot after shot. My distance was spot on and sometimes a little longer than normal with a nice mid/high to high ball flight, was hitting some nice baby draws and little fades when I tried but mostly just straight shots which I prefer. I still get excited when I hear these hit a ball, such a solid sound/feel thats almost addicting. One thing I did figure out and it was a AHA moment for me was with my ball position, instead of moving it back closer to center with the shorter irons (PW 9 etc) I kept it the same through out all the irons and was getting the results I wanted and hitting the center of the face. I cant wait to actually get some rounds in.

Back