Matrix Shotmate Voice GPS

I am definitely interested in this, and the price is very nice as well. Maybe the only other thing that would this great would be the ability to detect distances to hazards or lay-ups, but this is all that Im looking for, a distance that is fairly close to accurate is enough.

Great update Yoccos! I might just give this one a shot.

Can you put custom points on this that you map yourself?

I was out on the course when my buddy was testing this little gadget a couple of weeks ago. It's very simple, a little bigger than an Ipod Nano.. I would say that for the average weekend golfer this little thing is great. He had it clipped to his hat and it would always read the number to the center of the green. When I am playing normally, I am always looking for the yardage markers on the course and do the rest of the calculations in my head, so this little thing gives you the same benefit with a little more accuracy and saves you some time... I thought the price was going to be closer to $100 than $149, but I do really like the fact that I don't need to sit there and look down at some GPS and read my number. Kinda like having a one-trick-caddy helping you out...

I am definitely interested in this, and the price is very nice as well. Maybe the only other thing that would this great would be the ability to detect distances to hazards or lay-ups, but this is all that Im looking for, a distance that is fairly close to accurate is enough.

I'm finding it to be very accurate. Within a yard or two to my laser which is much better than my phone usually was and right there side by side with the bushnell GPS unit I had.

Can you put custom points on this that you map yourself?

You cannot. You can measure distance though.

I was out on the course when my buddy was testing this little gadget a couple of weeks ago. It's very simple, a little bigger than an Ipod Nano.. I would say that for the average weekend golfer this little thing is great. He had it clipped to his hat and it would always read the number to the center of the green. When I am playing normally, I am always looking for the yardage markers on the course and do the rest of the calculations in my head, so this little thing gives you the same benefit with a little more accuracy and saves you some time... I thought the price was going to be closer to $100 than $149, but I do really like the fact that I don't need to sit there and look down at some GPS and read my number. Kinda like having a one-trick-caddy helping you out...

I'm definitely going to try the hat haha. I was messing around with where I wanted to put it last night. Agree with you on the fact, sometimes you just want a number without looking at a screen. It's just easier.

Here is the video I promised! I got a little distacted haha. I didn't edit it because I wanted to show you how quick it could lock onto your course. When I said hopefully it works, usually me and tech on camera isn't the best combo. The Shotmate had my back. I kept saying how easy it was and by gosh you see it here.

[YOUTUBE]mLIlnRqEUgs[/YOUTUBE]

Nicely done, Yoccos.

Does it seem pretty durable to you?

Nicely done, Yoccos.

Does it seem pretty durable to you?

It sure does Hawk. I think the sensitivity of the button actually helps that. You don't have to press as hard to get it to work, lesson the load on the frame.

I know you talked a little about it, but what are your thoughts on clipping to your hat? Too big, heavy, or obstructive?

Seems like an awesome device. Simple and effective. Can't beat that. Great write up thus far. Hope they don't kill it with the price tag!

Seems like an awesome device. Simple and effective. Can't beat that. Great write up thus far. Hope they don't kill it with the price tag!

I think if it does come in at that $149 it would be very, very attractive! If I were in the market, I'd easily pay that. While I liked marking spots, hazards etc.. it just became cumbersome after awhile and really wanted something more simple. Lucked into a rangefinder but this might replace it haha.

I know you talked a little about it, but what are your thoughts on clipping to your hat? Too big, heavy, or obstructive?

When i clipped it to the side, it just felt like I had a golf tee in my hat. Nothing too bad at all dude. I think I could easily get used to it! I didn't try the hat brim yet though. That might catch the corner of my eye.

Thanks Tmex. I'll be honest and just say that I'm not sure about this. Part of me likes the simplicity, but another part of me likes having a screen and a little quicker navigation I guess? Either way, the price is one of it's most attractive selling points.

You're doing a real good job with getting thoughts to us buddy. Appreciate it!

Thanks Tmex. I'll be honest and just say that I'm not sure about this. Part of me likes the simplicity, but another part of me likes having a screen and a little quicker navigation I guess? Either way, the price is one of it's most attractive selling points.

You're doing a real good job with getting thoughts to us buddy. Appreciate it!

No problem dude! Once you're on the course, it's just as fast as any other GPS unit. I'll do some on course vids. I just know the Bushnell I had would take a few seconds to lock my location and get the exact yardage. But because it's visual and you see it real time, it might seem shorter but it really isnt.

I thought I might miss the screen too but I quite liked it. Obviously different needs and what not but I had those concerns too. What it did help was not even thinking about hazards or how far out they were. Unless my tee shot would run into water i didn't really have any concerns.

I also liked the fact it didnt lag like my phone or GPS unit before might. You know just the usual lag that electronics get.

Those are good points. One thing I'm not doing this year is trying to get distances to the flag or whatever. A basic distance reading is sufficient for me and too much info can lead to poor club selection it seems.

Those are good points. One thing I'm not doing this year is trying to get distances to the flag or whatever. A basic distance reading is sufficient for me and too much info can lead to poor club selection it seems.

Yeah. Plus I didnt have my glasses and couldnt see the pin half the time HAHAHAHAHA. But man, if you didn't want that screen and other things... I'd be inclined to push you into one of these. I don't push things either.

I know you don't buddy. I am planning to look at something like this one when mine goes. Hopefully I can mess around with it in May.

I know you don't buddy. I am planning to look at something like this one when mine goes. Hopefully I can mess around with it in May.

Yessir. Hopefully we get a round in together. I'll have it with me!

This sounds like a solid product for those wanting to simplify the info and keep the cost down. I'm rather interested in this myself, thanks for the info buddy!

This sounds like a solid product for those wanting to simplify the info and keep the cost down. I'm rather interested in this myself, thanks for the info buddy!

Thanks for reading Due! I think you'd quite like this one too.

Tmex how is the volume on it? At it's loudest would you ever have a problem hearing it with other sounds in the area like carts moving or rain/wind?

Tmex how is the volume on it? At it's loudest would you ever have a problem hearing it with other sounds in the area like carts moving or rain/wind?

Not at all Deano. I don't know if I had it at the loudest on that vid when I turned it up but its quite loud if you need to be. The volume control is excellent. Even at the lower settings, if a lot is going on you can just hold it to your ear and its perfect.

Not at all Deano. I don't know if I had it at the loudest on that vid when I turned it up but its quite loud if you need to be. The volume control is excellent. Even at the lower settings, if a lot is going on you can just hold it to your ear and its perfect.

nice. I haven't been able to watch the video yet, but that is the one thing I was wondering about this. Seems like a solid option for people.

nice. I haven't been able to watch the video yet, but that is the one thing I was wondering about this. Seems like a solid option for people.

It really does. I liked how easy it it is to change holes. I can't watch vids are work either dude. Sucks.

It really does. I liked how easy it it is to change holes. I can't watch vids are work either dude. Sucks.

I usually can, but I'm in our helpline this morning and it's been busy. I'll be able to get back to my desk and watch it and golf this afternoon

I want to watch the video too. I have about 10 mins left in this class and then I will watch it during lunch.

Back