JeffReedMO

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, silly question. I have a Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* that I bought last year in a satin chrome finish. The wedge rusted over the course of a few months of play and I know they say rust is good for wedges, but I just couldn't stand the look of it and took it out of play late last year. Now, I am wanting to take the rust off and try to sell it. Has anyone done the Pepsi trick to remove the rust? Or is there a better route? It's a great wedge and I would like to sell it someone that could get some use out of it and I personally believe, it will sell better without the rust. Any input would be great.

Tje satin chrome finished I don;t think are supposed to rust? It might sell with the rust, you could give it a try.

Soak it in distilled vinegar for an hour or two, then just rinse/brush it, and dry it.

I've done the soaking in the coke overnight and it came out with little rust, just had to scrub a little and it was all gone.

Soak it in coke/pepsi overnight. Make sure the ferrulle isn't submerged, it can turn it's color. Pull it out and take a scrubbing pad to it. Should leave you with a raw finish, but it will rust again if you are not careful.

Soak it in coke/pepsi overnight. Make sure the ferrulle isn't submerged, it can turn it's color. Pull it out and take a scrubbing pad to it. Should leave you with a raw finish, but it will rust again if you are not careful.

That is what I am currently doing. From what I have seen, this is the most used method. I have also read of others oiling the club afterwards, not necessarily to stop the rusting, but to slow it down. Any thoughts on that?

That is what I am currently doing. From what I have seen, this is the most used method. I have also read of others oiling the club afterwards, not necessarily to stop the rusting, but to slow it down. Any thoughts on that?
Yeah, sure. I am a bit of a knife nut, and with any carbon steel, oil will absolutely help slow it down. I like key oil (for musical instruments). It is very viscous and quite clear, so it speads easily and doesn't show up too much.

So just get a little bowl, put coke in it. Put your rusty wedge in over night so 8-12 hours then go to the sink and brush it with a soft brush and it should come off most of it?

WOW, I didnt think the Satin Chrome finish was supposed to rust????

WOW, I didnt think the Satin Chrome finish was supposed to rust????

Unless I am hitting the pipe, this particular one did. I noticed it after about 2 times out on the course, in the humid conditions, little rest spots start showing up all over the back of the club.

Rust is not good for wedges. Rust means that the face, including the grooves are rusting away. Not good for spin. Its simply that some people like the looks of rusty wedges.
As for cleaning the rust off of the wedge, Id try an SOS pad.

Unless I am hitting the pipe, this particular one did. I noticed it after about 2 times out on the course, in the humid conditions, little rest spots start showing up all over the back of the club.
Chrome should not rust, if it is in fact a chrome wedge I would send it back to cleveland and get it replaced. Only raw/oil can etc wedges will rust, not chrome.

Chrome should not rust, if it is in fact a chrome wedge I would send it back to cleveland and get it replaced. Only raw/oil can etc wedges will rust, not chrome.

Several of you were absolutely right. It is not satin chrome. I had to go back through some invoices and saw that it is in fact, the raw model. Which now obviously explains the rusting.

That makes sense. A raw wedge has a satin look to it, so I can understand the mix up. On another note, raw finished wedges are the freaking bomb. I love the look and feel.
Several of you were absolutely right. It is not satin chrome. I had to go back through some invoices and saw that it is in fact, the raw model. Which now obviously explains the rusting.

That makes sense. A raw wedge has a satin look to it, so I can understand the mix up. On another note, raw finished wedges are the freaking bomb. I love the look and feel.

Well I am just a little perplexed as to why I would order a raw wedge. I must have been drinking. LOL.

Lol, what loft is it? If you are wanting to sell, I might be able to help.

Lol, what loft is it? If you are wanting to sell, I might be able to help.

52* DSG. I only used it on the course twice. I bet it hasn't hit 10 balls.

That wedge cleaned up pretty damn well. Looks sharp as hell, IMO. Back down to the raw finish. Hard to believe that yesterday this thing was red.

DSCN3803.jpg

DSCN3804.jpg

DSCN3806.jpg

DSCN3808.jpg

DSCN3810.jpg

Looks great. Definetly a raw finish wedge though and that thing is going to rust like crazy as soon as moisture hits it again. My MP T-11 is the same. Great little wedge but with the raw finish it gets little rust spots anywhere that it gets water droplets on it.

Before and After pic's of my wedge, its super old. But it's honestly the best wedge i've ever used i'm still hoping one day i will hit one as good. Hopefully if i ever get to hit a Scor or TM ATV..

But the reason i wanted to clean it up was because i'm going too try the whole paint-fill and see how it looks. But first I hope to torch it and see how it comes out hopefully it looks cool when i'm done with it :)

CLR works amazing

NOW

Looks awesome man, damn I wish I coulda bit on it.

Before and After pic's of my wedge, its super old. But it's honestly the best wedge i've ever used i'm still hoping one day i will hit one as good. Hopefully if i ever get to hit a Scor or TM ATV..

But the reason i wanted to clean it up was because i'm going too try the whole paint-fill and see how it looks. But first I hope to torch it and see how it comes out hopefully it looks cool when i'm done with it :)

CLR works amazing

NOW

Like day and night, great job. Did you soak it in coke?

Back