I'm looking hard at joining a club this year. Price is $150/month + $50 F&B minimum. The course is one of the best around and I've got some friends that belong to it. It's a hard course though.

Several of the country clubs around here have pretty steep initiation fees that you have to pay, but just about all of them have a month or so during the year where they will offer a big discount on that to increase membership. If you really want to join a country club, I would suggest waiting until one of those times come around to cut a lot of the price off. That's how I got on at the place I used to be a member. They had a special where they completely waived the initiation fee for new members and I jumped on it.

pace of play is one of the reasons I am a member of a country club. Of course, weekend mornings are still just as bad as some public courses. You get some five-somes, and many of them are the typical country club style, by that i mean, 5 guys, 5 different carts. But weekend afternoons are still awesome. 2.5 hour rounds are typical. Getting around as a single is way easier.

being I play out of the local public course ($45 a month and $15 cart fee's) I've never cared for the local country club types. Around here they are super snobby folks, mostly due to the old money they have inherited not what they worked for. Most of them wouldn't be caught dead on our public course!!

The CC here in town is $6000 initiation, $195 a month, $75 food and $18 cart fee.

A nearby town (23 miles) is $500 upfront, $129 a month, $50 food and $18 cart fee.

Another one 15 miles away is up for sale, it is in way worse shape than the public course I play.

Last edited:
Yeah I was interested in them for the social reasons. I know some around here have league nights every week and tournaments for their members with point systems, and I thought that was really cool. I'm sure after school I'll get a membership at a local public course and maybe try to look around for a club that's in a good price range. And I'm a fan that the pace of play at clubs is usually quicker than on public courses.

A country club is a great way to live a golf lifestyle that involves social events, meeting new people and multiple "games" per week. Depending on what one is looking for, the country club route may or may not be the best thing for them. Yes, most country clubs include unlimited greens fees and you pay a cart fee per round or a trail fee per year for each round you play. Ours is $18.75 per round.

I am a firm believer in two things.
1. Joining a country club for lifestyle.
2. Not joining a country club if the idea is to save money on golf.

If the goal is just to save money on greens fees that you would normally play, a private club may not be the best alternative. Other things such as yearly passes at public courses, discount cards, etc may be better alternatives.
I completely agree with both JB. I wanted the lifestyle, now I don't. I needed the savings, now the club is offering discounts to public golfers that mean I could play 12 rounds a month for my monthly fee! I get nowhere near that. There are too many discounts available to the average golfer now... My membership is up in May and I will not be renewing.

Yeah I was interested in them for the social reasons. I know some around here have league nights every week and tournaments for their members with point systems, and I thought that was really cool. I'm sure after school I'll get a membership at a local public course and maybe try to look around for a club that's in a good price range. And I'm a fan that the pace of play at clubs is usually quicker than on public courses.
I do agree that the pace of play is better. Amenities vary with cost. You may find a course with no range that is easily affordable, or you may prefer a wider range of options. There are certainly plenty around DFW!

As a student I only pay $1,000 now. (was $500.00 last year but I am older now) and I have no other requirements to meet. As the lowest membership for adults though my club requires you to buy a share, which is around $1600.00 and then the bronze package which is around $1500.00 there is also a transfer fee but usually my club offers a special and waives it early in the year.

The thing is with the share it is just a one time payment and is refunded to you when you no longer have a membership.

My family has a membership that we bought back in 2007 at an exclusive CC here in the Phoenix area. Back in Feb of 07, it was $60k for initiation (equity membership) and $550 per month for dues w/ no food minimums. Unlimited golf, free to walk, $8 to rent a push cart, $17 for a golf cart. Now the dues are up to $600/month and the initiation (obv due to the local economy and the golf market in general) is down to $15k for an equity membership. The deal with the equity membership is you can sell your membership and receive 80% of the sale price back. So when(read: if) the initiation goes back up to $75k and my family sold it, would would receive our $60k back and the CC would keep the other $15k.

If this is already in another thread, I apologize and would appreciate anyone who could let me know which one it is! But I just have a few questions for those who are members of country clubs. I'm still in college but am hoping to be able to join a club at some point after I graduate, whether it be three years or ten years. I was just wondering, if you're able to post it, membership fees and benefits of your respective club. If I ever look at a nearby club's website, it never has prices listed. And do most clubs include unlimited green fees and cart fees or just discounted prices? Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this!

Most clubs will tell you what the fees are if you email them and ask. If you go up there and talk to them, most will give you a free round of golf too.

It totally varies depending on how private and exclusive. My local posh country club fees run from $50K to $125K depending on type, dues are $840/month and cart is $20.00. Worth every dime. You can make a tee time at the last minute on almost any day of the year and have most the course to yourself (there might be 20 people on the course), and access to top notch practice facilities for free. You have fresh fruit on ice in coolers every 4 holes and instead of a water jug filled with nasty garden hose water, there's bottled water in coolers. Niice.....

You get what you pay for.

Or you can play at the local muni course, pay $20 green fee, $8 cart, get paired up with drunk hacks wearing blue jeans and have trouble getting a tee time just to do that. It just depends on what you like and how deep your pockets are.

Most clubs will tell you what the fees are if you email them and ask. If you go up there and talk to them, most will give you a free round of golf too.

It totally varies depending on how private and exclusive. My local posh country club fees run from $50K to $125K depending on type, dues are $840/month and cart is $20.00. Worth every dime. You can make a tee time at the last minute on almost any day of the year and have most the course to yourself (there might be 20 people on the course), and access to top notch practice facilities for free. You have fresh fruit on ice in coolers every 4 holes and instead of a water jug filled with nasty garden hose water, there's bottled water in coolers. Niice.....

You get what you pay for.

Or you can play at the local muni course, pay $20 green fee, $8 cart, get paired up with drunk hacks wearing blue jeans and have trouble getting a tee time just to do that. It just depends on what you like and how deep your pockets are.

You may have just described my dream course and also my problems with muni courses. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people wear blue jeans on the golf course. And any time that I get paired with somebody, they get pissed because I'm younger and think I have no clue what I'm doing. Then if I end up being better than them, they get pissed about that. It's usually lose/lose so I just try to play by myself if I don't have any friends there. Only time will tell what I'm able to afford depending on my profession and salary, but hopefully I'll be able to join a pretty decent club.

Back