2012 Bridgestone Golf Ball Forum Review Thread

Some great write ups guys...like reading all the other thoughts on these balls.

Fantastic writeups TheChosen1 & INgolfer!!! I haven't noticed any scuffs either on the B300's & it seems very durable to me. Good to read that the RX gives added distance. I may have to try them out too.

Course / Range: Doral Golf Resort & Spa - short game practice areas
Date: February 18, 2012
Weather: 82* Hot
Clubs: Titleist Vokey wedges (56* & 62*) & TaylorMade Rossa Daytona 1 Ghost putter
Ball Testing: 2012 Bridgestone B330 & B330-S

doralputtinggreen.jpg

Brief short game practice today w/ the Bridgestone B330 & B330-S consisting of chipping & putting.

Chipping

As stated multiple times by myself & fellow testers, the B330-S is fantastic when chipping from a flat lie around the greens. The added spin and check vs the B330 is great for amateurs like myself who tend to fire at flags instead of the more traditional bump-and-run. After a few warm ups, I decided to try something different and test both the B330 & B330-S on uphill lies. It was not a drastic uphill incline but probably what most of us in Florida are used to when playing with elevated greens. I normally use my LW around the greens, but considering the inclined lie and risk of leaving the chip short of the green I thought the added loft of my SW would be best. B330-S seemed to fly off the face a tad higher than the B330, and every chip was short & fairly close to the flag. On the contrary, I had no issues rolling the B330 past the flag which at least gave me a chance to hole one out (doesn't happen often lol). Overall, I was more comfortable with the B330 today not only from an uphill lie, but I also felt like had a little check & performed better than my previous testing. The quality and speed of the practice green was 10x better and I did have the sun behind me for the most part which tells me the B330 performed really well into the grain.

Putting

I'll admit I've been fairly critical of the B330 & B330-S when it comes to soft / slow speed of the putter face compared to the Pro V1. However, I actually preferred this today as the greens were very fast. I can only assume it is in preparation of the WGC Cadillac tourney. Both balls rolled true from 5 feet to 25 feet, and I couldn't really tell much of a difference between the two. I struggled with lag putts in excess of 40 feet, but that's more on me than the Bridgestone balls. Overall, very pleased with the performance of the B330 & B330-S on this very fast practice green. Can't imagine how the Tour pro's do it consistently week after week.

I'll be playing Doral McLean course on Monday and look forward to providing more feedback. A big thank you again to THP & Bridgestone golf for making this testing possible. It really makes the game that much more enjoyable!

Course: Heartland Crossing GC Camby, IN
Weather: Partly Sunny 45F wind 10-15mph

Course was wet, cart path only. Greens were lumpy and slow.
(Typical conditions for Indiana courses in February)

4cdba56b-5c13-d146.jpg

Best shot today for RXS. 8i from 150 with wind in face. Ball mark is black dot in center of image, stopped just a few feet past. And of course, missed the birdie. F@%#!!!

Overall the RXS played well, good feel around the greens, rolled well on putts. I was able to work the ball left or right if needed. Couldn't measure any distance gain/loss with weather conditions this time. Cover was in great shape and not scuffed until I plunked it in the lake on the 9th. :(

I'll game the RX next round and post results. Thanks again to Bridgestone and THP!!

Course / Range: Doral Golf Resort & Spa - short game practice areas
Weather: 82* Hot

Oh my, so jealous of the temp canes...I can't wait to get these balls out when its that warm. They have to play much better at room temp than at 45. Glad you are enjoying the results on such a sweet course.

Oh my, so jealous of the temp canes...I can't wait to get these balls out when its that warm. They have to play much better at room temp than at 45. Glad you are enjoying the results on such a sweet course.

I have the utmost respect for you guys testing in 45* weather. We had low 60's & 15 mph wind last Sunday and I was layered up like it was snowing lol. They say hot and humid helps with distance so we may not see the full benefit until the summer time.

Well, I didn't get to test the ball out today, but I did go to a Bridgestone live ball fitting, and got some good feedback. My original thought was to start with the Penta, to see how it compares to the B330, but they were in a big hurry thanks to a long line, and were only comparing 1 Bstone ball, not letting you try out multiples, so I decided to start with the B330. I unfortunately was hitting the J40 driver, not my own, but the feedback was still a positive. I was a little tight after standing in line for a half hour, so my first couple were real low hooks (according to the numbers). But my next 3 were all pretty well struck. On those I was seeing around 112 mph SS, 11-12 degrees of launch, but only 1800 RPMs, but with a pretty straight ball flight. Thanks to the low spin I was only getting about 265 carry, and my average with the hooks was only 254 carry. With the B330s My launch dropped a little bit, but I was getting 2400-2800 RPM's and my average carry jumped to the upper 270's. My smash factor was really low with that J40, which is weird because if felt solid on impact. Guess it's just not a good fit.

If weather permits I will be playing again tomorrow. The B330S will be in play.

I have the utmost respect for you guys testing in 45* weather. We had low 60's & 15 mph wind last Sunday and I was layered up like it was snowing lol. They say hot and humid helps with distance so we may not see the full benefit until the summer time.

60 here and I'm in shorts and short sleeves...:D also the ball doesn't sting as much when hit thin at 60 degrees...I will probably gain 10-15 off the tee once it gets to 60. Can't wait to see if these new balls follow that pattern.

Well, I didn't get to test the ball out today, but I did go to a Bridgestone live ball fitting, and got some good feedback. My original thought was to start with the Penta, to see how it compares to the B330, but they were in a big hurry thanks to a long line, and were only comparing 1 Bstone ball, not letting you try out multiples, so I decided to start with the B330. I unfortunately was hitting the J40 driver, not my own, but the feedback was still a positive. I was a little tight after standing in line for a half hour, so my first couple were real low hooks (according to the numbers). But my next 3 were all pretty well struck. On those I was seeing around 112 mph SS, 11-12 degrees of launch, but only 1800 RPMs, but with a pretty straight ball flight. Thanks to the low spin I was only getting about 265 carry, and my average with the hooks was only 254 carry. With the B330s My launch dropped a little bit, but I was getting 2400-2800 RPM's and my average carry jumped to the upper 270's. My smash factor was really low with that J40, which is weird because if felt solid on impact. Guess it's just not a good fit.

Interesting numbers wake, I am curious as to why you were hitting the J40 instead of your regular driver, the times I have done a live fitting they wanted me to use my own driver.

What was your ball speed with the B330S?

What was your ball speed with the B330S?

Right around 160 on the well hit ones

Interesting numbers wake, I am curious as to why you were hitting the J40 instead of your regular driver, the times I have done a live fitting they wanted me to use my own driver.

I didn't have my driver with me unfortunately, poor choice on my part.

Right around 160 on the well hit ones

I didn't have my driver with me unfortunately, poor choice on my part.

Be interesting to see how the results compare once you are out on the course playing golf. Have fun.

Date: 2/18/12
Course: Heritage Hunt CC
Weather: Mid 50's, sunny, 15-20mph winds

I played 18 holes yesterday at VA Vince's course and used both the B330 and B330s for part of the round. I had another very sub par ball striking day on the approach/wedge shots, but had an exceptional day from the tee. The B330 seemed to stay a little lower with the driver into the wind, but the B330s climbed a bit, causing a loss in distance. I realize I'm hitting into a stiff headwind, but the B330 seemed to perform a little better. With wind behind, both balls seemed to carry forever and stay straight.

I wish I could talk about the great short game control these balls offer, but I don't get much spin from the hosel. Both balls feel great coming off of the putter face and I really love the simple alignment aid. I did end up losing one of the B330s' and bounced a B330 off of a cart path and then the street. The B330s is still on someone's roof right next to their gutter and half way under a shingle. The B330 didn't scuff, but does have a big black spot on it.

The weather is looking good Tuesday-Sunday, so I have range time planned this week and more golf next weekend. I will have a solid round next weekend and will be able to talk about all aspects of the ball's performance. First and foremost is to figure out how to hit the sweet spot on a wedge. The plan for Tuesday evening is to chip and hit some 30-50yd pitches.

Date: 2/18/12
Course: Heritage Hunt CC
Weather: Mid 50's, sunny, 15-20mph winds

I played 18 holes yesterday at VA Vince's course and used both the B330 and B330s for part of the round. I had another very sub par ball striking day on the approach/wedge shots, but had an exceptional day from the tee. The B330 seemed to stay a little lower with the driver into the wind, but the B330s climbed a bit, causing a loss in distance. I realize I'm hitting into a stiff headwind, but the B330 seemed to perform a little better. With wind behind, both balls seemed to carry forever and stay straight.

I wish I could talk about the great short game control these balls offer, but I don't get much spin from the hosel. Both balls feel great coming off of the putter face and I really love the simple alignment aid. I did end up losing one of the B330s' and bounced a B330 off of a cart path and then the street. The B330s is still on someone's roof right next to their gutter and half way under a shingle. The B330 didn't scuff, but does have a big black spot on it.

The weather is looking good Tuesday-Sunday, so I have range time planned this week and more golf next weekend. I will have a solid round next weekend and will be able to talk about all aspects of the ball's performance. First and foremost is to figure out how to hit the sweet spot on a wedge. The plan for Tuesday evening is to chip and hit some 30-50yd pitches.

Good stuff DD...and it seems no matter how awesome the ball is, you can still find ways to smack them into bad locations...:D

Well as there is still snow on the ground I haven't been able to take them to the course yet, but I did have the opportunity to play them in a simulator and practice green. That's the good news, the bad news is the computer wasn't functioning properly so I didn't get any numbers at all. It showed me the flight and where the balls landed but no numbers at all. I was very disappointed. But that's the only bad news, the good news is I think I found my new ball. The winner for me was the B330RX, I loved how it felt off the face of all clubs and it seemed to give me a little extra distance, according to the yardage markers on the sides of the screen. But the real winner for me was on the putting green. The RX felt a little stiffer and had a better sound off the face than the RXS. It just gave me more confidence. I'm hoping to pick up some RX in Yellow before the snow melts and give them a some full rounds of golf. There are a few holes at the course I play that I think I'll get enough distance off the tee to shorten up my second shot by a club or two.

The course was closed yesterday... It's 34* but I should be able to get out today... hoping and praying they let me! And if not, tomorrow will be 40* and I WILL be playing. Who's ready for some cold weather testing!

Wow... what a busy week. I played 36 on Wednesday and am just now getting a chance to write my review. (Note: I am not picky about my golf ball off the putter unless it is an absolute rock. I know that some testers have noticed differences with putting distances, etc... I have not noticed any real differences so putter shots were not evaluated here.)

Round 1
Langdon Farms Golf Club
7:30am 42*, cloudy, no wind

During my first round I played the B330s and the ProV1. I was the first person out on the course and played as a single so I was able to play multiple
balls, hit multiple balls from the same location, etc...

Driving:
Both balls seemed to have similar distance off the driver. I thought I noticed a few times where the B330s was a couple of yards longer
but my swing isn't consistent enough to say this honestly. The B330s seemed to hold it's line better and fly with a slightly more
penetrating and slightly lower flight. The B330s seemed to be slightly louder off the face. I didn't have a great driving round so
I didn't focus too much on this area.

Iron Shots:
This is the area where I noticed the biggest differences. The B330s was consistently 1/2 club longer. The ProV1 actually felt,
(sounded?), better but the results with the B330s were what I preferred. Both balls held the green on medium length iron shots,
(140-170yd), with only a couple of feet of roll out. Similar to the driver, the B330s seemed to have a slightly lower and more
penetrating flight. The course was pretty wet and I lost 2 of my B330s when shots plugged and I was unable to find the ball. This
really pissed me off. Nothing worse than hitting a decent shot and still losing the ball.

Wedges: With the greens being as soft as they were both balls stopped on the greens without problem from wedges. I actually preferred the
feel/sound of the ProV1 better but the results of both were great. On short chips both balls skipped/checked with ease. The 330s
checked up quicker than I expected. If it continues to show increased spin on these shots it could be very beneficial this summer
when greens firm up and stopping power is needed. More testing to green side shots is needed.

Recap:
Both balls seemed to play very similar. The differences I could tell were that the B330s seemed to have a slightly lower trajectory
and more penetrating flight. This could prove to be very useful in windy conditions. I also will expect this difference to lead to more
roll out on drives when the fairways firm up. This could be a huge advantage this summer.

Round 2
Wildwood Golf Course
12:30pm
44*, partly sunny, no wind

For this round I had planned on playing the B330 and the ProV1x but I found a couple of Nike 20XIxduring my morning round and since I
have never played the 20XI I decided to put it up against the B330. I again played as a single so
I was able to play multiple balls, hit multiple balls from the same location, etc...

Driving: The 20XI consistently was a few yards longer than the B330. My driver is by far my most inconsistent club but when I hit 2 repeatable
shots in a row, on the same line the 20XI always seemed to be 10 yards or so beyond the B330. Coincidence or not, I'm not sure. I'd love to get
some launch monitor data with these 2 to see if there is any data to support this. I doubt if I will be able to do that though. Both
balls sounded good off the driver and had a similar trajectory, (mid-high).

Iron Shots: Similar to the driver, the 20XI was slightly longer than the B330. Maybe ½ club. Both sounded good and had similar trajectory.
I did notice that the B330 held the green a little better on mid & long iron shots. There were a couple of times that the B330 stopped within 3-5' on the
green but the 20XI had at least 10' of roll out when hit from the same location with the same club. The greens on this course were
much firmer than that of the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] course and I was able to judge green performance much better.

Wedges:
Distance on wedge shots seemed to be similar. Like that of iron shots, the B330 seemed to hold the greens better than the 20XI on ¾
– full wedges. With skipping/skidding chips, the B330 seemed to check up faster and stop quicker. The 20XI stopped well also, just
slightly more roll out.

Recap:
This was my first experience playing the 20XI and I was pleasantly surprised by a little bit of increased distance. The B330
consistently outperformed around the green though and since shots around the green are where scores are made I would have to give the
edge to the B330. I would like to evaluate both of these balls more though, they each had good attributes.

Played 9 holes yesterday and really only used the RXs. Loving this ball more and more every time I use it. The ball is just long and straight for me. Shot dispersion has become a little tighter. This ball does not balloon on me at all. Really digging the durability of the cover as well. Like I said in another post, putting has been a little difficult in regards to gauging speeds but yesterday I seem to have that just about kicked. Got a good amount of spin with it as well. Hit a nice knockdown 9 iron about 12 feet past the whole and it pulled back to about 3 feet. Greens were a little wet but very receptive to any type of shot. The only thing I am wondering is when does this ball actually hit stores?

Good write up OG....

I just got back from 9 holes and about 30 minutes on the practice green... in the COLD. I'll put up my write-up tonight.

Oregon it was nice to see your first round was at Langdon Farms. I really enjoyed playing Langdon when I lived in Portland.
Once it gets a little warmer out there I think you will see some added distance. Good job!

Had a short-game session today at the range with these. Writeup coming later.

Wind Play...

I played another 18 today; my third in as many days. These 2012 B330 and B330S balls play fantastic in the wind (IMHO). We were playing with sustained 20-25mph winds today. I can only say "wow", which is what a few of my playing partners where saying today when these puppies were penetrating/cutting through the headwinds we had to deal with today.

One of my regular playing partners, who knows my game pretty well (but had not played with me in a few weeks), was the first to notice and ask if he could try these balls himself. I gave him one to play with and he was impressed as well. I liked the performance of the B330 a little better as I seemed to get a little more penetrating flight with these as compared to the B330S. However, both performed extremely well. I was all but convinced that the B330S was going to remain my 'go to' ball for the 2012 golf season. But, the B330 really performed well today and I think may be edgeing out the B330s right now, based on today's performance.

I tend to have a relatively high ball flight off of my irons so I do not typically have any issues holding greens. Both of these balls provide good spin on full shots and performed well today. The B330S seem to spin a little more on partial shots, but depending on what specialty shots you are trying to hit, the B330 seems to be quite adequate. After giving these balls a fairly good evaluation so far, I am leaning toward playing the B330 a little more and perhaps making this my regular gamer. The quest continues...

I'm going out tomorrow to get four sleeves to try the 330/S, and the RX/S. one month away from Myrtle Beach and all these write-ups are intriguing!!!

Alright guys, I got out for a short game practice session of chipping and putting with the B330RX and the RXS. Had to wait on a guy who literally had hundreds of balls on the chipping green to clear. So I started with the putter.

Putting:

I took both the RX and RXS on the putting green along with the Srixon Q Star I have been playing as of late. Had a mixture of short, medium, and long putts with all three balls. I noticed immediately how both the RX and the RXS were softer off of the putter face for me than the Q Star. They were also a little more 'clicky' off of my milled SeeMore as opposed to a deeper, fuller clack of the Srixon. Both Bridgestone balls rolled very well and smoothly - I also happen to like the printing on the ball as an alignment / putting aid.

After I was warmed up, on short putts, I had no issues rolling both the RX and RXS with medium-ish green speeds. Stepping back into the 10-15 foot range, I again had no trouble with the feel of these compared to the Q Star. It was the long putts that I felt a difference with these - I could tell that I wasn't used to a softer feeling ball than the Q Star, because I consistently came up short on putts over 20 feet, then overcompensated and blew quite a few putts by the hole. My Srixon, at first, was much easier to cozy up to within a 3 foot circle. I did start getting the hang of the feel of these by the end of my putting session.

Overall, I liked these off of the putter face very much. The only issue I had was the feel on longer putts.

Chipping:

I finally was able to get to the chipping / short game area and wanted to compare the spin between the two BStones. Starting with shorter, more lofted chips with my SW, I noticed that the RX had a bit more rollout for me than the RXS. Not surprising, since the RXS is advertised to have more short-game spin than the RX:

[video=youtube_share;-r7PyFdjtOo]http://youtu.be/-r7PyFdjtOo[/video]

I moved further away from the green and wanted to test the rollout of each ball on a standard bump-and-run shot, in which I used my 8 iron. Using a target in the back of the green, I hit a few bump-and-run shots across the green to test rollout. Again, the RX had, on average, more rollout than the RXS on this type of shot:

Last edited:
Back