Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I putted last night for quite a bit. And I used my new wedge to get comfortable with a more traditional type wedge. It went well. I like short game practice!

Me too buddy. I'll be at my short game practice area the first day it's open.

Me too buddy. I'll be at my short game practice area the first day it's open.

It's more fun than anything else for me right now. I have a couple bucks left over and I'm going to get some lessons. but for now I'm going to buy a stiffer driver shaft, throw an R11 adapter on it and go HAM with some faster swings. Something cheap. Sometimes I just want to swing hard.

I like to swing hard too, Mr Tmex.

One thing I forgot - we discussed club fitting for the MC and he's going to help me out with that when it comes to the irons and driver. That's a huge relief for me.

that's a nice weight off your shoulders right there

that's a nice weight off your shoulders right there

You're telling me. He has a good reputation as a fitter, so I feel like I can trust him. I started trying to fit myself when I was talking to him and he basically said to stop it right now haha.

There is an outdoor heated range about 90 minutes from here and I'm going there Sunday. The amount of money I've been spending on indoor practice and testing is just plain crazy and I want to be able to take my time. There is a little pitch and putt there too and I'm going to see if they'll let me on it. Supposed to be under 30° so we'll see.

Dang all this prep going in is making me feel like a slacker! I hit a small bucket, with a steel shaft to see how I held up. Umm it was interesting! But two things, I figured out my issue (still going to get lessons) and I love the 588 wedge I bought. Sure its the first generation but its almost new and probably the best wedge I've ever hit.

:rain: :angry: nuff said

Nah, you're not a slacker buddy. Golf's my only outlet and I need it to stay sane more than anything.

Nah, you're not a slacker buddy. Golf's my only outlet and I need it to stay sane more than anything.

What you're doing is extremely motivating. I love this thread. Seeing everyone get better.

I have an appointment for an hour on the launch monitor/simulator today, a lot of my time will be focused on testing I'm doing for a review but I've got the J40 irons in the bag along for the ride as well. Looking forward to swinging the wrenches again.

I do too, Tmex. Your MC 1 experience has definitely helped me stay more relaxed about the whole thing. I'm focusing on enjoying the journey rather than worrying about the destination.

Me and my medicine ball and balance board had an epic time last night. Hoping to build more power in my core to compensate for a shorter turn/backswing. Going to put the new muscles to work at the range this weekend

Me and my medicine ball and balance board had an epic time last night. Hoping to build more power in my core to compensate for a shorter turn/backswing. Going to put the new muscles to work at the range this weekend
Good stuff Hanks, gym work is great no matter what but I love doing swing specific workouts and it can do nothing but improve your game.

Since my last update in the thread I have gone to the gym once, tried to go to the gym yesterday but it was closed, and I'm going to try and go to the range today. I have a round schedualed for tomorrow and it will be my first day on the course since I started working with opening the clubface up. Can't wait to get out there and see what happens.

Playing Bear Mountain, Breeze?

yeah I'm targeting areas that I've never hit before and while the short term pain sucks I'm hoping it's worth it in the long run

Good stuff Hanks, gym work is great no matter what but I love doing swing specific workouts and it can do nothing but improve your game.

Since my last update in the thread I have gone to the gym once, tried to go to the gym yesterday but it was closed, and I'm going to try and go to the range today. I have a round schedualed for tomorrow and it will be my first day on the course since I started working with opening the clubface up. Can't wait to get out there and see what happens.

Playing Bear Mountain, Breeze?
Indeed I am, in fact I managed to get out there and play today as well. I was just planning on hitting the range, but when I got there some of the boys were going out to play and they needed a fourth for a good money game so I went with as its hard to turn that down. We played cart 2-2-2 (our cart vs there cart $2 for the front 9, $2 for back 9 and $2 for the 18 hole match, with each team being able to press once). I was unsure how my new club face position would hold up on the course but thought here we go. Well for the first 8 holes I was attrocious and so was my partner for that matter. We were down 6 after 8 holes and were both stuggling while our opponents, both 10 HC were playing out of their minds. Well on I finally get the hang of my swing and just destroy the hole and get my first birdie of the day, and my partner finds his swing and pars the hole for us to get the match back to 4 down after 9 but we still lost the front. We decided to press the back 9 and we came at them hard, winning all but 3 points on the back 9 and taking both the pressed back 9 and the full 18 hole score, plus we were pressed on 16 and we took that too, for a HUGE $8 won each!

Anyway, whats important is I was hitting the ball really really well on the back 9 and as it went on my confidence in my swing increased and increased to a point where I almost wasn't thinking about it. The ball is flying so much higher now that I would go after pins I normally wouldn't because I knew I could hold the greens. I have really high hopes for my round tomorrow and I will be playing in the Members winter league tomorrow and my game really feels good. Most importantly my putting stroke feels great. I didn't miss my line once today, and while I of course didn't hit all my putts, it was all due to miss reads or the wrong speed.

Didn't work on my putting stroke today. But I did go down and do my normal work out. Plus again adding the punching bag. Did 6 mins with it tonight. Roughly 160 punches. Focusing on my speed for the first 3 mins. Then blasting the heck out of the bag for the last 3 mins. I can see that 10 mins is gonna be tough since I do my weight workout first. Lots of reps with medium weight. Can't wait till the weather breaks. After this month of working out I feel stronger.

Indeed I am, in fact I managed to get out there and play today as well. I was just planning on hitting the range, but when I got there some of the boys were going out to play and they needed a fourth for a good money game so I went with as its hard to turn that down. We played cart 2-2-2 (our cart vs there cart $2 for the front 9, $2 for back 9 and $2 for the 18 hole match, with each team being able to press once). I was unsure how my new club face position would hold up on the course but thought here we go. Well for the first 8 holes I was attrocious and so was my partner for that matter. We were down 6 after 8 holes and were both stuggling while our opponents, both 10 HC were playing out of their minds. Well on I finally get the hang of my swing and just destroy the hole and get my first birdie of the day, and my partner finds his swing and pars the hole for us to get the match back to 4 down after 9 but we still lost the front. We decided to press the back 9 and we came at them hard, winning all but 3 points on the back 9 and taking both the pressed back 9 and the full 18 hole score, plus we were pressed on 16 and we took that too, for a HUGE $8 won each!

Anyway, whats important is I was hitting the ball really really well on the back 9 and as it went on my confidence in my swing increased and increased to a point where I almost wasn't thinking about it. The ball is flying so much higher now that I would go after pins I normally wouldn't because I knew I could hold the greens. I have really high hopes for my round tomorrow and I will be playing in the Members winter league tomorrow and my game really feels good. Most importantly my putting stroke feels great. I didn't miss my line once today, and while I of course didn't hit all my putts, it was all due to miss reads or the wrong speed.
This post has awesome written all over it!!! Nice going Breeze!

Looking forward to some good short game practice today. It is going to be pretty chilly so I thought I would just stay near the clubhouse so I can practice and go inside to warm up when need be. While the main purpose.of my time spent today will be testing out the Bridgestone balls, I am just really happy to see my short.game continue to improve like it has. My chips have become almost automatic, leaving me some short easy putts when I am scrambling. My putting pace has improved quite dramatically as well. I am not really nervous any more when I step up to a long lag putt because I feel confident in getting it close. I can't wait to see my Callaway wedges in the mail soon, I will be spending a lot more time around the greens with them too in order to get them dialed in.

Scorecard from today more updates later.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

ok, so now that I have some time let me explain about the pic I posted above. I went out this morning to play in our Mens' league and I was feeling really good after my round yesterday. My goal today was to play smart golf and really think my way around the golf course, never taking a shot off and I accomplished that goal. We played cart golf 5-5-5 and as you can imagine, I love having some money on the line. It really adds some pressure to me, to have your own money on the line, and that of your partners too when you are out there.
It was cold today, 37*-40* at its highest and windy and wet but it was still a good day and I have to say I might have played the single best round of golf I have ever played, which showed me that all my hard work has paid off. It wasn't my best score ever, but in the wet and cold conditions we are playing in right now golf is much much harder and the course plays really long. There are a couple par 4's right now that you have to play as short par 5's so even though it shows bogey on the card, it feels like a par. What I learned today is that my biggest weakness right now is my chipping. My putting has been good, my pitching has been good, but chipping I'm leaving myself longer putts than I should be.

Anyway, the stats from today are:
- NO DOUBLE BOGEYS
- NO THREE PUTTS
- 10/14 fairways
- 7 GIR
- 32 Putts

That is solid, Breezy. Way to go dude!

Solid round CB!

Nice and Sunny today....cool and windy....temps in the mid 50's with north winds at 20-30mph...course was really wet from all the rain of the past week or so. Got in a good range session and then went out and played 18.

Had a decent ball striking day, but couldn't putt for anything....ended up making par on the last 3 holes to shoot 87.

Back