Hockey Stick Putters

ken419

Return of the Hack
Reaction score
Handicap
Oh Yeah
Thought about getting a Hockey Stick Putter. From what I've read about them, they're not approved by the USGA, but I can't find a reason why. Is it simply because they haven't tested them, or is there something I'm missing in the rulebook that makes them illegal?

Going off of memory alone here, I believe the putter is not approved because of the width of the shaft.

Is cross checking allowed? Cuz that would make Golf a whole lot more interesting.

Going off of memory alone here, I believe the putter is not approved because of the width of the shaft.

Thanks JB. If that's the reason, then I'm completely lost (bear with me- I've been running on 4 hours sleep the past few weeks). Looking both at the printed book (USGA's 2010-2011 The Rules of Golf), as well as their website. I see nothing about rules regarding shaft width.

I'm wondering if you've ever tried these putters Ken? to be honest they feel awful and I would never use one.

what about a real one like from Happy Gilmore? I believe it was an Odyssey?

shooter20ow.jpg

od_gilmore_2.jpg

Ive got one of these putters and they not approved by the USGA. I think part of the reason other than the shaft width is also how big the head is. The clubheads on these things are huge compared to a normal putter. They kind of frown upon things like that.
Theyre a cool thing to have if youre a hockey fan but they arent the best putter in the world. The fiberglass shaft takes away a lot of the feel and the clubhead is aluminum, so you have to swing it quite a bit harder than you do a normal putter because of how light it is.
Also, theres no kind of cavity or perimiter weighting, so you have to hit the perfectly ball dead center on the clubface or else the ball comes off dead and goes about half the distance that youd expect it to.
I pull my HSP out every once in a while for a casual round with friends, but Id never use it if Im trying to shoot the lowest score possible.

NHL Putters

NHL Putters

Anyone else seen/used these things?
flames2000x2000.jpg

They just seem so awkward and I can't see how well they'd actually work for putting. Plus for the price you could get quite a few other nice brand putters.

I have seen them before. I think they are more of a novelty item than something you would use on a regular basis. I am a huge hockey fan and when Happy Gilmore came out I wanted one of those putters but I can't see myself on a course with one of these.

Anyone else seen/used these things?
flames2000x2000.jpg

They just seem so awkward and I can't see how well they'd actually work for putting. Plus for the price you could get quite a few other nice brand putters.
My buddy has a Dallas Stars, exactly like that. He uses it once in awhile.

I dont own one but always pick it up at golf town. They are great.... for a display

Ive owned a couple of them (Wisconsin Badgers and Chicago Blackhawks). Theyre fun but they definetly arent the best putters in the world. They have a really clicky feel at impact and take some getting used to.
They are a putter that you could use if you wanted to though (just not in tournament play because they arent approved by the USGA). I got to where I could putt pretty well with my HSP (usually sank 50% of my putts within 10 feet) but you need to have a pretty sound putting stroke to putt well with one. There is no offset and no perimeter weighting to help you out.
Bottom line: if youre a hockey fan its a cool putter to have but its nothing Id want to use if I had anything serious riding on my putting.
Another putter worth taking a look at is a Five Hole Putter. Its basically a hockey shaft with a traditional golf putterhead (Anser or mallet style). Not to mention they cost less than half of what a HSP costs, which is nice. The $120 that they want for a HSP is a bit steep, considering you could get a really nice real putter for that much money.

I've used them, and trust me there pretty fun. They work like magic, i was so surprised but i drained more then i did with my Spider or Scotsdale that day lol. Thing was so sick, I got my buddy one and he loves it haha.

But i'd never use it, The feels not the greatest and I'm not so sure how the long shots on the course would actually be.. But 12 feet in it works better then you'd think id have to say that.

I've used them, and trust me there pretty fun. They work like magic, i was so surprised but i drained more then i did with my Spider or Scotsdale that day lol. Thing was so sick, I got my buddy one and he loves it haha.

But i'd never use it, The feels not the greatest and I'm not so sure how the long shots on the course would actually be.. But 12 feet in it works better then you'd think id have to say that.
I found that I need to hit a putt 25% harder with the HSP that I would with a normal putter because the face is pretty dead. The blade is made out of aluminum and the shaft is fiberglass, so it absorbs more energy than a traditional putter.

I found that I need to hit a putt 25% harder with the HSP that I would with a normal putter because the face is pretty dead. The blade is made out of aluminum and the shaft is fiberglass, so it absorbs more energy than a traditional putter.

Oh that i totally agree, I don't think it would be really meant for the course more of a house hold item or if your drinking with some buddys pull it out on the course haha. But i was surprised it wasn't as bad as i would have thought.

Oh that i totally agree, I don't think it would be really meant for the course more of a house hold item or if your drinking with some buddys pull it out on the course haha. But i was surprised it wasn't as bad as i would have thought.
They were definetly meant for the course, they just need a lot more r&d to fix some of the design flaws. As long as its just a casual round, theres no reason why someone couldnt put an HSP in the bag and putt well with it.

'Hockey Stick' Style Putters

'Hockey Stick' Style Putters

What do you guys think about this style of putter?

115a.jpg

Not the odyssey black tour designs, but the putter style in general. I am left-handed and haven't had the opportunity to hit one in any local shops, but am interested to see how you guys feel about it?

Good, bad, or indifferent?

Back