Bridgestone J40 Pay It Forward Review Thread

Nice write up yesterday Cookie. Those are a couple impressive shots with the 3i and it seems that you're noticing the same thing as me with the 6i, it's quite easy to hit really which is why I decided against strong lofting my order for MC2.0. Great stuff so far, can't wait to hear more.

Curious...when you were thinking about going stronger on the lofts, how much stronger were you thinking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for those pics Cookie, seems like the V2s and Nikes are probably similar inside (short irons), as the J40 was a bit bigger in person, but didn't really show it in the pictures.

Great write up cookie. For the first time swinging the DPC J40's that's one heck of a shot with the 3Iron going 230yds on #16. How did the %.5 s feel to you? Is this the shaft you'll use in the MC? Enjoy your time with the J40's

Curious...when you were thinking about going stronger on the lofts, how much stronger were you thinking?

I was kicking around the idea of going 2 strong on them. Mainly my goal of doing that was to get the 5i to go the distance of a 4i to bridge the gap from irons to hybrid. Instead of doing that and risking screwing up the bounce and overall make up of the irons I decided to leave them standard and put a 24* hybrid in. Besides all that I wouldn't completely mind getting a little more distance out of each iron, but in reality who cares if I'm hitting a 7i instead of an 8i out there? The DPC irons are very easy to hit so it shouldn't matter.

Just caught up again on this thread, good stuff Freddie and cookie, these puppies seem to be the real deal.

Great write up cookie. For the first time swinging the DPC J40's that's one heck of a shot with the 3Iron going 230yds on #16. How did the %.5 s feel to you? Is this the shaft you'll use in the MC? Enjoy your time with the J40's

Thanks! To be honest, I can't even tell you that I noticed a difference in feel between the 5.0 and 5.5's. I am really more results driven and judge by what I see rather than what I feel.

Based on the results and what little I know about shafts, I believe the 5.5's will be in my bag for the MC. What I did notice is that I did not pull a single shot left with these and that is a common miss with the 5.0's and my swing. Tadashi and I were discussing it and obviously the faster SS with the 5.0 can cause some whippiness through the impact zone which could lead to those quick pulls or balls left of target.

2/7/2012
Grand Oaks Golf Course, Grand Prairie, TX
9 holes
60, partly sunny, minimal winds
Bridgestone J40 3, 6, & 9 iron with PX Steel 5.5 shafts
Previous irons: Nike VR Pro Combo

I headed out after work on Tuesday to get more some time in with these. The range at my course is still closed due to flooding so I opted to walk 9 holes with 6 clubs in the bag. I had the J40 3i, 6i, 9i, 52*, & 56* wedges. 6th club was my putter.

I will break this down by each of the respective irons and what I saw in each of them:

3 iron: I used this 7 times off of the tee. 6 times it was on normal tee shot and once on a par 3.

- Off the tee: I did not hit any that I just caught extremely well. I had several that were caught pretty good and I saw a mid trajectory and about 210-220 yards from them. I did miss a few and in hindsight I believe it was primarily due to having it teed up a bit too high. When I did that, I caught the ball near the top of the club face and off the toe and would only see about 185 or 190 from those and a higher ball flight. All things considered, it is not a bad miss and I would consider this 3 iron easy to hit consistently off of the tee. In comparison to the hybrid I would typically use in this scenario I liked the 3 iron as it seemed to always go straight off of the tee whereas on occasion I would pull the hybrid left if I got too quick with it.
- Off the deck: I only had 2 chances to hit it off of the deck and did not have as much success. Both times I came in behind the ball hitting about 2-3 inches before it and ended up pulling those left but still saw about 90% of the expected distance, think I just need some time dedicated to deck work with it. This shot can be seen in the HOTD video thread.

6 iron: This is the club that has me falling for this set BIG TIME. I am usually decent from a contact perspective with the 7-PW but getting into that 5 & 6 iron range I start to struggle a bit. This 6 iron is so easy to hit. It is quite a bit bigger IMO compared to the VR Pro Combo 6 iron. That size difference definitely gives me confidence and forgiveness that I know my game needs.
- Turf Interaction: I am finding it hard to hit a ball fat with this club. Even when I come in behind the ball, instead of digging it just kinda cuts along the top of the turf before getting to the ball and still delivers a very solid result.
- Distance: Typically, a well caught 6 iron for me would be about 160 yards. The J40 is 1* degree stronger than my previous 6 iron. I have yet to hit this less than 160. I am seeing 160 even when I come in a touch fat on the shot. When I catch it clean I am looking at closer to 168-170. I am seeing a mid-high ball flight that is stopping quite quickly combined with the B330-RX. Greens are a bit firm here in TX and I am still seeing them stop within 7 feet consistently.

9 iron: I did not get to hit this as much as I wanted to on Tuesday. I believe that I only had 3 shots with it and 2 of those came on par 3's.
- Par 3 playing at 140 and that would typically be an 8 iron for me. I tried to jump on the 9 iron and hit a quality shot about 27 feet short and a tad right of the hole. I saw what I would consider to be a high ball flight, but not ballooning.
- The other par 3 was playing at 112 to the flag and I choked down with an easy swing and came up 7 yards short of the green. I simply miscalculated the wind into me and I thought I had hit a great shot. This one can also been seen in the HOTD thread along with my commentary of the shot.

I am planning a range session tomorrow immediately after work and then hopefully getting a round in on Saturday before a week's worth of projected bad weather moves into north TX. With that said, these will probably be shipped out Monday to the next reviewer as I do not want to sit on them for a week with bad weather.

Another good thing I learned from this is that I do like the flight/feel I am seeing with the PX 5.5's and they will be shafts for these irons for the Morgan Cup. I have yet to see the quick snap pulls with the 5.5's that I would sometimes see with the 5.0's which is a welcomed relief for me.

Good writeup Cookie. I love the 5.5 I have in my Burner 2s. Thanks for the update, keep them coming...

Nice Cookie! I'm thinking the 5.5 in my MC bag! Glad they fit your game better than the 5.0.

Fear The Frog! Amphibians can Tapatalk.

Great write up Cook! i like the sounds of these man.

Well done Cookie, glad you are seeing success with these. I think the PX 5.5s will work out just fine for you.

On a J40 DPC related note...mine arrive tomorrow! Boom.

I loved reading your write up there Cookie. I feel the same way about that 6i, it's just easy to hit. The 5i is the same way for me as well. Great work on this review!

I loved reading your write up there Cookie. I feel the same way about that 6i, it's just easy to hit. The 5i is the same way for me as well. Great work on this review!
I really like hearing that Jake. I got along great with the 6i while I had these, and am quite interested to see how the 5i is going to do for me.

I have been so impressed with the 3 iron off of the tee that I have thought about going with 3 iron, 4 hybrid, and then 5-PW. Next 2 days may decide that for me...

I have been so impressed with the 3 iron off of the tee that I have thought about going with 3 iron, 4 hybrid, and then 5-PW. Next 2 days may decide that for me...

WHy not just get 3-PW cookie?

loving the updates cookie. I can't wait to get these in the bag.

WHy not just get 3-PW cookie?

The 3 iron would be used strictly off of the tee. Think I still need a hybrid for those 185-195 shots off of the deck.

For me, it is just so much easier to hit hybrid off of the deck in place of a long iron but this 3 iron can be a laser off of the tee.

The 3 iron would be used strictly off of the tee. Think I still need a hybrid for those 185-195 shots off of the deck.

For me, it is just so much easier to hit hybrid off of the deck in place of a long iron but this 3 iron can be a laser off of the tee.

That makes perfect sense to me. A laser off the tee is a good thing.

I know what you are saying Cookie. My shots with the 3iron didnt move more than a foot left or right it seemed. Granted, the height on the ball flight wasnt that of what a hybrid would be, but it went straight and I got great distance when hitting off the tee.

I know what you are saying Cookie. My shots with the 3iron didnt move more than a foot left or right it seemed. Granted, the height on the ball flight wasnt that of what a hybrid would be, but it went straight and I got great distance when hitting off the tee.

Exactly TC, it is a solid 3i. War Eagle - that is what I saw as well off of the tee. Very, very straight for me and also a solid option into the wind if the need arises.

That 3 iron you struck on Monday should have you dreaming happy thoughts at night. That was a thing of beauty.

Exactly TC, it is a solid 3i. War Eagle - that is what I saw as well off of the tee. Very, very straight for me and also a solid option into the wind if the need arises.
Exactly when I was using it from the tee rather than my hybrid. Kept it much lower than the hybrid, and with that lower ball flight I swear if the fairways were dry it would have ran for days.

I'm going to have a helluva lot bigger write up tonight or tomorrow (my handy dandy voice recorder on the iPhone is full of thoughts) but allow me to say a couple quick things.

First though, parameters...

1) It was 35* without the damn wind-chill and the wind was blowing at about 20-25 MPH gusts.
2) It was my first round with them.
3) I couldn't feel my dang hands.

OK then, we're all on the same page now. My quick and dirty thoughts:

1) Sessy is an understatement. The lessened offset than my 2.0's helps me visually.
2) I'll say it dammit, these felt amazing (I will NOT say buttery though! You can't make me do it!).
3) Best turf interaction of ANY set of irons I have ever played. I played in mud all day and it was blissful.
4) Hellaciously beautiful divot trails.
5) I threw freaking darts.

That is all for now, quick and dirty. Long and wordy will be soon. The wya they performed in the muck and the terrible weather tells me those the DPC/SCOR combo will be deadly for me this spring and summer. I just wish the driver would have had as good of a showing for me lol.

I'm going to have a helluva lot bigger write up tonight or tomorrow (my handy dandy voice recorder on the iPhone is full of thoughts) but allow me to say a couple quick things.

First though, parameters...

1) It was 35* without the damn wind-chill and the wind was blowing at about 20-25 MPH gusts.
2) It was my first round with them.
3) I couldn't feel my dang hands.

OK then, we're all on the same page now. My quick and dirty thoughts:

1) Sessy is an understatement. The lessened offset than my 2.0's helps me visually.
2) I'll say it dammit, these felt amazing (I will NOT say buttery though! You can't make me do it!).
3) Best turf interaction of ANY set of irons I have ever played. I played in mud all day and it was blissful.
4) Hellaciously beautiful divot trails.
5) I threw freaking darts.

That is all for now, quick and dirty. Long and wordy will be soon. The wya they performed in the muck and the terrible weather tells me those the DPC/SCOR combo will be deadly for me this spring and summer. I just wish the driver would have had as good of a showing for me lol.

Been thinking of that exact setup.

Nice teaser Jman!! Not surprised in the least! Looking forward to the full write up.

Tappin' from the iPhone!

Back