Swinging on plane

Haven't you two been working on your swing plane for about 80+ years now? I hope you figure it out soon!

haha not true. Dawg and I have been working on it for 125 years combined time :D. We are going to get it too huh Dawg? No give up in these old boys. With Marc's great tip and some consistent practice, it will be ingrained like a tic on a Georgia hound!

Gotta love the guy in cargo shorts and a T-shirt. It was a good video though.

WOW - THANK YOU Marc ( and Monte)
This made so much sense!! I saw it yesterday morning and got out later for 18 - pretty much my best driving day ever!! not so hot on approaches for whatever reason but I mainly concentrated on this for my driver - first driver on #2 went 277 - which is way huge for me!! 250 is usually my max - seemed to give a slight fade on most balls but I was consistently hitting BOMBS and they were in the FAIRWAY!!!
Soo simple perfect fro ME:clown:

Some times I over think things. Simple plane alignment might be the ticket. Thanks for sharing!

Nawwww I really can't claim that... Marc knows more about the golf swing than I know about cooking Collard Greens. He knows the golf swing really well. The thing about Marc, is he will not offer advice unless someone asks him. He is definitely not the forceful know it all type. When he does say something about the golf swing, it is pretty darn interesting and something to take hold of!

I figured all of that to be so. The tip has helped me (this week anyway). Not many times do tips or videos strike my fancy but this one just clicked with me.

I worked on this move this morning prior to play and had the best swing plane I could possibly hope for. My ball striking was so much better and really solid. This along with a minor tweak in my grip (Norman grip) had me under 80 today with a nice wide grin.

been using this a lot today with my golftec drills, and i have a lesson tomorrow so i can't wait to see if it helps tomorrow or not. its so easy and makes a lot of sense.

A drill I use is swing back slowly to the top, stop, and focus on coming down on that exact backswing plane. It really helps and you can do it with any plane, really.

Tappin!

Ok so I've worked pretty hard on this for a couple weeks and it has definitely helped. Has made my misses a lot smaller.

This is from this morning. Losing the cup in my left wrist at the top, and still hinging wrists a little early (which sucks the club inside). Going to see my coach in a couple weeks so hopefully we can polish it up and get it rolling.

Here's a vid from December for comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEJGCcixyRI&feature=related

You can see how the club sucks inside early, hands get behind body at top and clubface was dead shut.

I did this drill every night at home and worked on the plane in a mirror. Practicing in a mirror at home is a great way to make swing changes especially if you don't have the time to make it to the range often. Hope this has helped others as well!

Quite a noticeable difference Marc! Love watching you progress.

I might have to start doing this does it work for every club or just the driver?

I might have to start doing this does it work for every club or just the driver?

Works for every club. Best to practice with a wedge, then move on to other clubs when you can hit 20 or so well.

your drill has triggered a lot of curiosity in my head. i think im going to head outside at try it out

I saw Martin Hall do this exact drill on his show on the Golf Channel tonight.

That video totally called out my flaw...under the plane backswing.

I've been working hard on taking the club back "over" the plane (but in reality it looks closer to on-plane)...but its hard.

This video makes so much sense, I can't wait to try it with a mirror tomorrow. Thanks for posting.

Took some still shots of your videos so I could see the before/after of your swing plane. You can really see the difference in these! Even your posture looks very different in these two videos. Was that intentional?

marcplanedrillbeforeafter-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I changed my posture a tad, trying to be a little more upright rather than bent over.

Ty Pete!

Yeah I changed my posture a tad, trying to be a little more upright rather than bent over.

Ty Pete!

Well it's really obvious that you've worked hard and are getting your swing on plane. Now get to work on that putting! LOL

Ty Pete!

Marc -- Your swing is solid and something I would love to emulate! Your swing looks so textbook correct :clapp:

Spent part of my lesson with the local pro working on this drill. We also used the horizontal swing to practice the right hand 'whipping' through at impact - the whipping sound should seem as though it's occurred after contact, just like a baseball swing. Probably added 15mph and much more consistency to my swing plane doing this in just half an hour.

This video is easily the best video I have ever seen explaining the golf swing. For a long time I have been trying to correct a fairly big overswing, going past parallel which causes me to come over the top. Which if I don't get it right turns into a massive slice, getting worse the longer the club I hit. Today I went to the range and completely focused on doing what the guy says in the video and couldn't believe how well I was hitting it. When I did it right I was hitting it dead straight, sometimes it drew a few yards and sometimes it faded a bit but I have to work on it a bit more. We will see how well it goes tomorrow playing pennance for my club against one of the other clubs near here. I will take some videos later in the week cause I am really confident I can stop the overswing with this method and get the club set really well at the top of the swing.

Works for every club. Best to practice with a wedge, then move on to other clubs when you can hit 20 or so well.

It has helped me with the short irons as much as driver. I had been getting out of plane with the short irons and struggling to keep the ball on line, lots of high draws. So, I cut the arc down in the drill to about 2/3 of the full arc and the irons are much better. This allowed me to shorten the swing while keeping in plane and taking spin off the ball.

I've been doing this drill for a couple of weeks now, and I am still amazed at how simple and effective this is. I have struggled with my swing plane for years; mainly because my take away was so inconsistent that I had to make a lot of adjustments on the downswing. It has also allowed me to work the ball a lot easier. I guess when you're on-plane everything is easier. I think I may finally be able to break 90 now.

I'm happy to see this has helped others.

The main thing I've been working on now is a one piece takeaway, letting my shoulder rotation start the backswing instead of my hands starting it. I know a lot of you have a problem sucking the club inside on the backswing or lifting it up and all other kind of stuff, I was the same way forever lol. This will cure all that noise.

It makes it so much easier to swing on plane with a one piece takeaway b/c the club doesn't have a choice but to be on plane. So practice this with the plane drill and once that right elbow folds under the left arm will rotate and the club will go to its spot in the swing naturally. 30 minutes in a mirror every night for a month will do wonders.

Back