TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

Nice, Gage, can't wait to hear about them!

Thanks! I'm going to see if my computer will let me make a video with them. If not, I'll just write out my first impressions.

Saw these in person for the first time today. The longer irons definitely are pretty big, but they look like they will send the ball sailing! Great feedback from the testers so far, I am not sure the offset would work for me too well, and not a huge fan of the looks, but definitely one I want to try hitting. Sounds like they are definitely an iron that can offer some great forgiveness and distance for someone working on improving their game!

Glad you are excited. You should post this in the contest thread, good luck!

I'm in and looking forward to WINNING.

Well the camera on my laptop isn't working, so I'll just write everything out. Although I'm sure everything I'm about to say about these irons have already been said. But here it goes:

Right out of the box, I loved the way these looked. I've seen them in person before, but they look even better now that I own them. I really like the combination of the black and green and the name has grown on me over time. The top line is thicker than my previous set, but those were cheap knockoffs I had just to be able to play. Looking down at them, the top line gives me a bit of confidence that I'll be able to hit these well as a beginner golfer. And the toe-bar gives me the confidence that I'll be able to hit irons straighter than in the past. As of now, I don't mind the grip like some of the other users: they have a good feel and I like how TaylorMade included the green in them. But some of my grips in the past have turned my hands black, so I'll purchase some new ones if that happens with these. The 5 iron looks like a mini-hybrid and I feel like I'll be able to just blast the ball with it. I didn't order the 4 iron because I have a 3 and 4 hybrid, so I'm excited to see how the distance of the 5 compares to these. I'm also excited to witness this "trampoline" effect TaylorMade added by bringing in the metalwood engineers for design. Hopefully I'll be able to play a quick nine tomorrow between classes, and I'll be able to give a better review about how they feel. But that's all for now!

Hit them well tomorrow Gage, and let us know what you think.

I'm going to try to play tomorrow! I have an 8:00am class then a break until 3:30. So I'm going to they to play between classes.

Happy for ya Gage and looking for your take on them tomorrow! :clapp:

I'm in and looking forward to WINNING.

Mr. P You are in the wrong thread buddy :bulgy-eyes:. Good luck though!

I just finished putting my new grips on the RBZ irons. They look pretty darn slick or sick as some of you say :D. They will be out on the course tomorrow going through the paces again!

Here is a question for you testers. If you decided to keep these irons as your mains, would you have to do any rearranging because of the distance from the 4I? What would be the next club in your bag: Hybrid? 5W? 3W?

Here is a question for you testers. If you decided to keep these irons as your mains, would you have to do any rearranging because of the distance from the 4I? What would be the next club in your bag: Hybrid? 5W? 3W?

I would keep my bag like it is with the 1i hybrid 15.5 degree and the 2i hybrid 18 degree. I don't think the gap between the 4 iron and the 2 hybrid would cause any problems.

If I did change anything, it would be along the lines of adding a RBZ 3 hybrid along with a Cleveland Mashie FW3.

edit: The four iron is 20 degrees so my 2 hybrid at 18 works out really well.

I was thinking about that today actually! Good question! I would have to update my hybrid used between my 3W and 4i. It appears the RBZ 4i is going about what my current hybrid goes (225-235). Happen to be eyeing the RBZ rescue anyways so may work out.

Would also need to adjust my wedges. The RBZ GW is a 50 degree wedge. My current Vokey wedges are 52, 56, 60 degrees. I have wanted to adjust my wedges down anyways, so would probably go 54 and 58 degrees along with the 50 degree RBZ GW I have.

Hello everyone. I have been following these threads in regards to the RBZ hybrid/irons and after the awesome positive reviews and my own demoing at golfsmith I decided to buy them. Golfsmith hooked me up by selling me 5-pw and 3/4 hybrid. Unfortunately I live in Ohio so I have a couple months to wait, but I am very thrilled and excited to have these!! I will continue to read how others are doing that are able to play. One thing I ask is how does the hybrid feel? I haven't see too many reviews about the 3/4 hybrids..

THP sent iron sets to the testers, not hybrids. We will have a full review of the hybrid on the home page coming up soon.

Hello everyone. I have been following these threads in regards to the RBZ hybrid/irons and after the awesome positive reviews and my own demoing at golfsmith I decided to buy them. Golfsmith hooked me up by selling me 5-pw and 3/4 hybrid. Unfortunately I live in Ohio so I have a couple months to wait, but I am very thrilled and excited to have these!! I will continue to read how others are doing that are able to play. One thing I ask is how does the hybrid feel? I haven't see too many reviews about the 3/4 hybrids..

First of all, great for you RBZfan :clapp:! I have no doubt you will be a happy camper. We are testing only the irons (4 - AW) and personally, I have only hit an RBZ hybrid taped up at Dick's. It really felt sweet and I went back by there today and sure nuff, a 3 hybrid was looking real sad & lonely at me. I almost took her home :D. When you get to hit the hybrids come back and let us know how they worked for ya.

edit: The four iron is 20 degrees so my 2 hybrid at 18 works out really well.

Is it really that strong? That surprises me that they would do a 20 degree 4 iron and their 3 hybrid at 19 degrees. I know that the loft isn't a straight swap over when going from irons to hybrids but it's probably going to be a bit closer than a regular iron set when you consider how they have designed the irons. Being from the same line I thought they would make the hybrids a continuation from the irons distance wise. Having not hit the 4 iron against the 3 hybrid though... maybe the hybrid is hotter than the iron so the gapping will be good considering only 1 degree of loft distance.

I hope my plans work out, should be getting RBZ maybe friday from Golfsmith, and going here Wednesday or Thursday http://teesgolfgrill.com/

Is it really that strong? That surprises me that they would do a 20 degree 4 iron and their 3 hybrid at 19 degrees. I know that the loft isn't a straight swap over when going from irons to hybrids but it's probably going to be a bit closer than a regular iron set when you consider how they have designed the irons. Being from the same line I thought they would make the hybrids a continuation from the irons distance wise. Having not hit the 4 iron against the 3 hybrid though... maybe the hybrid is hotter than the iron so the gapping will be good considering only 1 degree of loft distance.

Yea take a look at the specs on this link:

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/products/irons/Rocketballz-irons/product-detail-specifications

My current hybrids are Cleveland clubs not TM.

I hope my plans work out, should be getting RBZ maybe friday from Golfsmith, and going here Wednesday or Thursday http://teesgolfgrill.com/

Congrats Lanzante and looking forward to your take on the Rocketballz Irons. We have a large RBZ family growing here! When you finish up at teesgolfgrill, drop your thoughts in here on your findings with the new irons. The more info the better for people considering these clubs.

Happy for ya Gage and looking for your take on them tomorrow! :clapp:

Mr. P You are in the wrong thread buddy :bulgy-eyes:. Good luck though!

I just finished putting my new grips on the RBZ irons. They look pretty darn slick or sick as some of you say :D. They will be out on the course tomorrow going through the paces again!

I am already looking forward to hitting those bad boys again, the grip was the only thing I did not like about them. See you soon buddy.

Congrats Lanzante and looking forward to your take on the Rocketballz Irons. We have a large RBZ family growing here! When you finish up at teesgolfgrill, drop your thoughts in here on your findings with the new irons. The more info the better for people considering these clubs.

I feel that if and when I get these clubs i can offer an interesting review... mainly because I have been golfing not yet a year, more serious in the last 6 months now. Im coming from 10 year old dunlop blades and now to the cutting edge technology offered by the good people at taylormade. I'm an avg. joe that is hooked on a great sport. The anticipation is killing me

I am already looking forward to hitting those bad boys again, the grip was the only thing I did not like about them. See you soon buddy.

They now have the same grips you game so you will be in hog heaven :blob:!

The 4i is longer than my 21 degree fairway, so it's really replacing that. The 5i is longer than the 4H that it's replacing, so it's replacing that. Basically I'm going from 4i to 5 wood, and even then I'm a touch concerned that the 5w and 4i might be too close in distance gap.

Nope, I've basically been playing with irons with these lofts for a while, so my current setup (3 and 5W) is already optimized for it at 15* and 18*. I'm moving to a 18* 2i hybrid and a 14* strong 3W, but not much will change.

I think you are really going to enjoy that set up. I have the 3H and couldn't be happier. It's a very solid club. I'll be playing this weekend hopefully and post some thoughts in the Hybrid thread. I do think the 4 is as easy to hit as a hybrid club and I think I posted earlier would not want to trade it out for a true hybrid. These are range thoughts only though.

You know, it's that time of year when clubs come out. I got excited with testing so I decided to adjust the other clubs around a bit. I ended up with the RBZ 3H and 3Wood because I felt the RBZ 4 iron was getting close to my previous 3H. Honestly my other 3W would have been fine, but I was struggling with my previous hybrid and it was on notice.

Back