AndyAlso

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm new to THP, but mentioned to folks that I'd post info on a course in Kyoto Japan that uses 9 tee boxes for 18 holes. Sorry, the photos don't show many of the dual holes very well... Not sure if there have been similar posts of "unique" courses before, sorry if this topic is a repeat.

http://www.industrykendo.com/fushimi_momoyama.htm

That is definitely unique. I have played a course with 9 holes, but you played through it twice and on the back you used different tee boxes. Par 3's turned in to 4's. Par 4's to 5's and Par 5's turned in to 3's. Etc.

It is different. Never played a course like that.

Kind of like the doulbe greens at St. Andrews, but you play them from different directions coming in and going out. The 9th at Pacific Dunes has two greens but you only play to the one designated on the tee box.

What's really cool about it is the price for a public course in pretty good shape. It cost me around $25 US last year to play 9 holes with borrowed clubs, included breakfast (one of the images) and use of the locker room. The one missing key shot- the walk from the 9th/18th hole is around 150 yards uphill, but you do it by standing on a motorized conveyor belt. I'll get a sot of it this summer.

I've played a course similar to the adjustable tee box locations. The Maples GC in Noelville, ON, CA. It's a tri-par course design with 9 holes, with 3 different locations for making each hole a par 3/4/5. The owner/manager selects each hole daily to play, which adds to total par 36 for the 9 holes. But it can also be selected as par 3s all the way thru for par 27 or a mega course at all 9 holes at par 5s for par 54. During my 2 stops there, it's been played as par 36. My last stop there, my buddy and I got thru the 1st 9, then they changed the tee boxes and got to play from those chosen boxes, which made our last 9 a totally different challenge. On one hole, there's a tree that was pretty close to the tee box and I put my drive right into it and it glanced off, heading towards the bush, hits another tree and bounced out to the fairway about 80 yds out.
Anyways, that is an interesting layout, Andy.
Just a P.S. - The owner has plans to expand to 18 in the future, as I've seen where he was talking about, but that'll be sometime in the near future.

As for Unique Holes, this one ranks as one of the best IMO

images

As for Unique Holes, this one ranks as one of the best IMO

images

Shouldn't there be a river or a big fence along the bottom boarder of the green as an added obstacle since you are coming in from the Mexico side? :D

There a private course near here that has nine holes - you play nine in the morning, stop for lunch, while you are eating the go out and move the tee markers and cut new pins, then you go out for the "back" nine and they are practically new holes given all of the tee positions and the new pins.

My home course has 10 holes and 12 different tee areas.
There are two sets of tees, blues for the front 9 and reds for the back. The two sets of markers share most tee boxes, with one set being shifted to the side or behind the others by a few yards.
However, hole 13 (par 3) uses a different set of tees as well as a different green.
Holes 12 and 14 also use competely different tee boxes, but still play to the same green as you do on the front side.
There's been some discussion about adding another tee box to 6/15 as well.

A local course here decided to just build an extra four holes. They are sort of in the middle of everything and you can use them for any purpose you want - extending your round, warmup, etc. It's sort of a garbage course though.

It's a clever way of keeping a 9-hole course interesting, but really those discussed above are still just 9 holers, aren't they? You move the pin on a large links course green and it seems like a new hole, but it is still 'the 12th hole' surely?

There was a Minnesota course designer who designed and built 4 reversible courses. On odd number days, the course plays one direction, the even days, the opposite. Basically, you tee off somewhere near a green on each hole. Google John Goldstrand reversible course and you'll probably find a couple of them.

Back