Quick question about posting scores on courses with temp greens- yesterday I played a course that had 3 of them. I really haven't played many times with multiple temp greens. So I am not sure I follow how I should post these 3 holes. Below are the holes, handicap, and score I shot yesterday. My course handicap would have been an 11. Is anyone aware of how these should go in? Any input at all is greatly appreciated.

4th hole. Par 5. 9th handicap. Birdie.

8th hole. Par 4. 11th handicap. Par.

15th hole. Par 3. 8th handicap. Par.

Is it accurate that since these three holes were not played under the rules of golf, I have to post Par with an adjustment of 1 for all 3 holes since they were "stroke" holes? Do I post all three as bogey???

I really have no clue. I think we can't post scores in this area until April anyway.

I really have no clue. I think we can't post scores in this area until April anyway.

Really? We aren't supposed to post scores over the winter???

Really? We aren't supposed to post scores over the winter???

I don't know about your area, but many areas don't allow posting scores in the winter (unless you play somewhere like Florida or Arizona on vacation).

I don't know about your area, but many areas don't allow posting scores in the winter (unless you play somewhere like Florida or Arizona on vacation).

Ill have to check that out.. Thanks a lot Hawk - appreciate the response.

No problem. There is a section regarding winter rules/handicapping on the USGA site you can check out too. I started reading it and then almost fell asleep hehe.

temporary greens here in Scotland are usually on the fairway where they have just created a hole. i hate them with passion and just pick my ball up after my drive then approach!

I played this morning before work but the ground was frozen solid so was pointless but i took a wee video of our temporary greens.

Wow that's pretty bad.

Barry, that's pretty bad. I say within 15 yards is a gimme birdie! :)

Tappin' from CM's iPad!

Haha Barry! That's about what my club did for about 3 weeks so I feel ya on that. Only they put two circles around it and put a 1 or 2 to designate how many putts you would have taken. It was terrible.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

Went out to one of the military courses around here today to play with some buddies. This course is really supper nice and a great layout with a total yardage of 6980 something from the tips. Well when we got there they only charged us half price and we thought they were just giving us a deal cause it was after 1. Well get on the first hole we all hit and then we notice they have a temporary green set up. Get to the next hole same thing. So we stopped one of the workers and asked about them. He told us that they have had temporary greens for a year now because they re-did all there greens. We were not to happy about this.

We decided to go back and ask for our money back because we did not want to play without real greens. They were nice and said no problem. I guess it is nice that they gave us the money back and that they are putting great effort into their course but it would have been nice to know before we went out there. Could have gone somewhere else.

Has anyone else played on temporary greens? Did we do the right thing by getting our money back or should we have just keep going?

Honestly, I dont see how they did anything wrong. If its been like that for a year, theyd fully expect everyone to know about it. But you did get your money back.

I don't think that it's a big deal, especially since they charged you half price

Tappin!

Also I am used to playing on them in winter. I usually just try to chip to the hole instead of putting. When was this?

Tappin!

Yep. A few links I've played over the past couple years have used temp greens. Mostly due to bad drought issues that killed off the greens. The agravating part is when they fail to inform you of that at the clubhouse as they take your money for a round. Worse was, one course was still charging full price despite the fact that 50% of their greens were down for repair. :angry:

This thread makes me appreciate living in Florida!

We have a "temporary" hole at one of the courses by me. They plunked a par 3 in between 10 and 11 to replace the 14th while it is rehabed. The funky thing is that the tee box for 10b (as they call it) is on the 10th fairway right where you would lay up. To save time and avoid walking backwards we will tee off on 10b before holeing out on 10.

My course did this last year when a couple of the greens died due to heat. I would just take a two putt and get out of there.

I've experiences that before but since everyone in my group was around the same area, we just agreed to play closest to the pin and move on.

My course did this last year when a couple of the greens died due to heat. I would just take a two putt and get out of there.

I think you have the right idea. It is annoying but definitely the best approach.

My home course always has "temp" greens. The condition of our greens goes from temporarily bad to temporarily awful to temporarily ok, but never temporarily good or great :angry:

All we have that isn't temporarily is excuses!

Back