Mizuno MP-59 Irons Preview

I got to hit this club for 15 minutes this morning at the range. It was a 6 iron with the X stiff KBS Tours shaft in it. I came away impressed. Probably my favorite Mizuno iron I have hit. There is very little in the way of forgiveness, but they feel solid and the extra weight behind the ball makes these feel very powerful. The shots I hit with it had a great flight on them and very solid results. If you are looking for a blade with some muscle behind it and aren't too concerned with forgiveness, these are a fantastic option!

Did Luke switch to these? I know CHIII has and I also believe Byrd did too (believe I seen that on the 3 tour challenge) but haven't heard anything officially about the world #1. The new Mizuno Masterclass series on youtube that were posted in Dec has Luke using them and shows a shot with an entire bag full.

Did Luke switch to these? I know CHIII has and I also believe Byrd did too (believe I seen that on the 3 tour challenge) but haven't heard anything officially about the world #1. The new Mizuno Masterclass series on youtube that were posted in Dec has Luke using them and shows a shot with an entire bag full.

He did.

Thanks.

Is this for the new year or was he using them last year?

I don't know to be honest. I recently saw an interview with him about the irons and he said they'll be in his bag. He may have had them in his bag at the end of 2011 but I'm not sure.

They are pretty irons.

Thanks.Is this for the new year or was he using them last year?
I believe he used MP62's last year and will be using MP59's for the coming year.

Mizuno MP 59 Irons

Mizuno MP 59 Irons

Well as some may know I am a Mizuno fan this year. I hope to one much longer but given my past.....well depends on what comes out next year. hehe. Today I hit what I considered the best club I have ever swung.

The new Mizuno MP 59 6 iron. I had taken my JPX 800 pro 6 iron to E Watts just to hit a few balls. After about 20 mins 8 strolled.over the Mizuno display and say the 59s. Man they sure are sexy to me. I grabbed a 6 iron and went back to hit balls and was amazed at the feel of the entire club.

Not the sound this time. But the way the club actually felt. I liked the weight from the back swing to follow thru I could tell exactly where the clud head was. On the down swing the . weight brought the club head back to center almost magically. I put the club back and.walked around the store and soon went back and grabbed the club again for more hitting.

I probably hit 20 shots and only remember 1 going totally wacky. The rest were 150 to 155. compare to my other Mizunos I was about 5 - 7 yards shorter. Going back tomorrow to see if today was a fluke. Part of me hopes.it was because I will be bugging to get them if not. Already tried to work.a.deal at.store.

TapAhoy!

Well hit these again and although they are a very very good iron I compared them to my JPX 800s and I was much better the 800's. As my guy at the store said the 59's are a weapon if you can consistently hit the sweet spot which I could not. Staying with the 800's and loving them.

TapAhoy!

Last edited:
A lot of you saying not a lot of forgiveness, but what about compared to mp-58's?

Mizuno claims the 59's to be one of their more forgiving playing style club, so just wondering how they compare to other Mizuno players clubs in the past.

A lot of you saying not a lot of forgiveness, but what about compared to mp-58's?

Mizuno claims the 59's to be one of their more forgiving playing style club, so just wondering how they compare to other Mizuno players clubs in the past.

I played both and liked both, but I dont see much forgiveness in them. A little yes, and a little more than the 58s yes, but in comparison to others on the market, not really.

I played both and liked both, but I dont see much forgiveness in them. A little yes, and a little more than the 58s yes, but in comparison to others on the market, not really.

Thanks JB. That's the only thing about Mizuno I wonder about, when they talk about forgiveness, are they as forgiving as they say when compared to other companies who talk about forgiveness in their player irons.

Not talking about Mizuno's actual GI irons though. Hit the 800 Pro's and they were surprisingly forgiving. So just talking they blade/muscle back style clubs.

Ordered mine last week, should be here Monday. Longest week of my life! Was tough call though between these and the 53's

Thanks JB. That's the only thing about Mizuno I wonder about, when they talk about forgiveness, are they as forgiving as they say when compared to other companies who talk about forgiveness in their player irons.

In my experience, Mizuno talks about "forgiveness" in their player irons like Matrix talks about "high launch" shafts. Frankly don't think either of them know what the word means in those contexts. Excellent equipment none the less as they're still my favorite iron and shaft company by far.

Lookings forward to see how you get on with them Ratman.

Me too. They are supposed to be here tomorrow so I should be able to take them out Thursday for some range time and play a round on Friday. Waiting sucks!

Well I didnt get to go to the range Thursday after all but I did play 18 today. The course was crowded due to levely weather so I had to squeeze in between a mini tournament going on so no range time or anything. Just a few practice swings and off we go. The front 9 was up and down as was expected. I hit some very nice shots and some rough ones trying to get the distances and feel dialed in with an entirely new bag. I settled down on the back nine with a stretch of 6 holes that ran par, birdie (stuck an 8 iron to 2.5 feet), par, bogey, par and finished with a 41 for that nine (par 36). Two strokes off my best score for this same 9 at this course. The long irons were a touch harder to hit than I expected but as I got the short irons dialed in, I had more GIR's than I have had in quite some time. Overall i was happy with the 89 with all new clubs and more than 2 months of rust. The short irons and the new MP-T11's had fantastic distance control. Love these wedges already. Soooo much better than the '09 Vokeys I had before. The distance control was something missing from previous irons and one of the primary things I was looking for in my set.

It's just one round and a rusty one at that but I feel good about my decision to get the 59's and can't wait to get back out there again.

Nice first time out Ratman. I really liked my MP-T11's. I know exactly what you're talking about when you talk about distance control. What irons did you have before your 59's?

I had an old old set of Mizuno T-Zoid Comp EZ's. I know a lot of people liked them back in the day but I never got a good feel for them. I am pretty sure it was shaft related but after 13 years (10 year absence from golf due to injury) I think I was overdue for a new set. At least that's what I tell my wife. I did play a few rounds last fall with some old T-Zoid Pro II's and MP-32's as well. I liked them both but they were pretty well worn out. Weather is turning really nice here so looks like I am going to be able to kick the playing season off early and in high gear. Can't wait and got my bag set just in time.

Demoed a set of MP-59s today...WOW!!!

Demoed a set of MP-59s today...WOW!!!

I got the chance to demo a set of these clubs today and all I can say is, "WOW!!!" To use the cliche, they are buttery soft and one of the most forgiving blades Ive ever hit. I can see why all of Mizuno's tour pros have switched to the 59s.

I got the chance to demo a set of these clubs today and all I can say is, "WOW!!!" To use the cliche, they are buttery soft and one of the most forgiving blades Ive ever hit. I can see why all of Mizuno's tour pros have switched to the 59s.

Are they going to find a way into your bag in 2012?

I also love these irons. They are exactly as you described them.

Are they going to find a way into your bag in 2012?
LOL...ummm, probably not. What with relocating to a new city and getting married soon my golf budget is pretty tight. I just might keep my eye out on Ebay for a used set and buy one when I can get a set for around $300. Probably not in '12 but I could see a set in my bag in a few years.

Very nice irons! Anyone already tested them with KBS Tour and Nippon NS-Pro 950GH shafts?

A set of the MP59's with Project X 5.5 shafts have been offered to me at a very reasonable price. I had the opportunity to hold these clubs in my hands this weekend and they are a very impressive looking set. They look good and feel good at address. Although, I have not had the opportunity to hit them yet. I am going to try and get out this week and hit them. I currently play the TaylorMade CB's and love them.

I am looking for a little feedback from anyone out there who is gaming these or has hit these irons. I am just looking to gather as much information as possible. Ultimately, it will come down to how much I like them once I get the opportunity to hit them. But, that being said, I value the opinions of those out there in 'THP Land' and want your opinions to help me with my decision to pull the trigger or not.

Just ordered them. I was hitting Miuras but on the monitor these had ridiculous numbers. I'm not talking distance but they are longer but all the stuff. Can't wait, should be here Thursday!!

Just ordered them. I was hitting Miuras but on the monitor these had ridiculous numbers. I'm not talking distance but they are longer but all the stuff. Can't wait, should be here Thursday!!

Congrats on a solid purchase!

Back