Nicklausfan

Reaction score
Hey Gang:

In March I'm heading back down to FLA with my wife and son. The second part of our trip will be spent on Jekyll Island. In between, we are staying a day and a half on Amelia. Does anyone have any experience regarding the courses there? Thanks.

Alex

I played at Amelia Island Plantation years back, if I remember correctly they have 3 different courses there. One was on the ocean side, one on the marshes and one in between. Back then the courses were absolutely beautiful, and fun to play.

Amelia Island is a great sleepy little town with some world class golf. The course are kept in great shape and are very challenging from all sets of tees. Sand based courses so they hold up well to the salt air. Enjoy the time

You really can't go wrong at any of the resort courses on Amelia Island. The Plantation courses, Long Point, etc. Across the intracoastal a few miles further inland you also have North Hampton (a Palmer track that I love - they moved a ton of earth to make it a bit slopey) and Amelia National (a Fazio design) that are across the street from each other and are both great experiences. Fernandina Beach Municipal has 27 holes and is affordable but not nearly the quality or condition of the others around it. You can often get good deals on Golfnow at a lot of those courses, especially during the offseason, such as $50 at the Ocean Course, etc.

Fort Clinch is a great place to spend some time with the family if you enjoy history (a Civil War era fort) or nature (tons of beach access and nature trails, oak tree covered roads, etc). Old Town Fernandina is a quaint little area with shops and restaurants to stroll around for a few hours, too.

No experience here, but I can't wait to read your thoughts Alex. Enjoy and good luck on the course!

I stayed at the Plantation a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

The Ocean Course was closed for renovations so I played the other two. Except for a couple of holes, the layouts were very good and they were in excellent condition.

The hotel itself was very good and the main restaurant was excellent also. There are lots of other things to do in the area as well.

You really can't go wrong at any of the resort courses on Amelia Island. The Plantation courses, Long Point, etc. Across the intracoastal a few miles further inland you also have North Hampton (a Palmer track that I love - they moved a ton of earth to make it a bit slopey)....

North Hampton is a pretty tough course. One of my favorites though.

Thanks a bunch for the responses gang. As I always I really appreciate it. I always love playing in different parts of North America when I have the chance. This trip to Amelia sounds like no exception. Fort Clinch is definitely on our agenda while there.

Alex

Back