tour striker or 1 iron?

jacob1

Needs more cow bell
Reaction score
Handicap
Would practicing with say a 1 iron get the same results as a tour striker for way less price? I just cant bring myself to buy the tour striker for that price.

You can pick them up on ebay for under $60 now. I got one for my father last fathers day and he swears by it. I actually do notice that he is making better contact now. Don't think a 1 iron would work the same way as the TS.

To answer you question, no. It would have a negative effect instead of positive. The principle behind the TS is cover and turn over. The 1i is not designed to do this...and yes you can pick one up on eBay for these than a 1i that your would have to pay to get adjusted.

I agree. The tour striker is specifically designed with Tadashi's aforementioned purpose in mind, while the 1 iron just has a TINY sweet spot. Maybe if your goal is to improve contact every time, but you will not get the same thing out of a tour striker that you will out of a 1 iron (IF you get ANYTHING out of that...)

I just got one of these yesterday, the Tour Striker Pro 7, and can't wait to use it next week.

I agree. I've had the tour striker for about a year now and it really reinforces the concept of hitting down on the ball with club lag. Really great training aid.

I agree with the others. The Tour Striker is the only option here vs. a 1-iron. It's also an awesome training device.

Got a grinder in your garage? Why not make your own?

TS all the way. I love mine and it has helped reinforce hitting down and creating lag. I've only had it for a couple weeks, but use it every time I go to the range and it's helping me in all my other clubs. Now if I could stop swing out-in...

I got a TS the other day and went straight to the range with it. My problem is creating lag. I can't seem to get my hands ahead of the club and from what I've seen from the video I am just a tiny bit late. A lot of my misses are high and right, which I've been told is due to me "flipping" the club. I am also trying to lower the flight of the ball. I hit everything extremely high.

So I get to the range and the TS is the first thing I hit. The first few were pretty sweet but I noticed I wasn't catching it in the middle of the face. I alternated shots here and there with the TS and my normal clubs. I didn't notice immediate feedback and maybe I haven't given it enough time. While hitting the TS I was still hitting the ball very high on some shots and others were like lasers. I'm not sure if they were hit thin or if I pured them so well that it just looked funny.

There were also balls that I hit thin and I could tell right away. So my question is on the ones I thought were thin but weren't obvious, was that just me hitting the ball properly? And how can I be hitting this thing the way I should and still be hitting the ball sky high?

I got a TS the other day and went straight to the range with it. My problem is creating lag. I can't seem to get my hands ahead of the club and from what I've seen from the video I am just a tiny bit late. A lot of my misses are high and right, which I've been told is due to me "flipping" the club. I am also trying to lower the flight of the ball. I hit everything extremely high.

So I get to the range and the TS is the first thing I hit. The first few were pretty sweet but I noticed I wasn't catching it in the middle of the face. I alternated shots here and there with the TS and my normal clubs. I didn't notice immediate feedback and maybe I haven't given it enough time. While hitting the TS I was still hitting the ball very high on some shots and others were like lasers. I'm not sure if they were hit thin or if I pured them so well that it just looked funny.

There were also balls that I hit thin and I could tell right away. So my question is on the ones I thought were thin but weren't obvious, was that just me hitting the ball properly? And how can I be hitting this thing the way I should and still be hitting the ball sky high?

I can only speak from experience, but when you hit this thing correctly, it won't go sky hi or balloon on you. You are using it on mats, right? It will be a perfect mid trajectory that cuts through the air. When I hit it perfect, I've hit it about 175-180. If it's going sky hi on you, you are still flipping somehow. I started out only doing very smooth 3/4 swings and pushing my hands through the impact zone. I also use the TS Pro with the Pure Ball Striker every time I use it. If I were you I would go to Chuck's YouTube page and watch his videos or send him an email. He is a really nice guy and will answer any questions you have.

Now i'm not saying that I am the end all be all best ball striker in the world, but i'm getting better and the TS Pro has helped me a lot.

I am glad to see this....reminds me to dig mine out and take it to the range...I forget about this great training aide....maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback runpuddrun. Do you have a link to Chuck's YouTube page? I would love to check it out

Got a grinder in your garage? Why not make your own?

Funny you posted this. My neighbor did this with an old 7i he had. I have never hit the tour striker, but I am sure his home made version works the same way.

I can only speak from experience, but when you hit this thing correctly, it won't go sky hi or balloon on you. You are using it on mats, right? It will be a perfect mid trajectory that cuts through the air. When I hit it perfect, I've hit it about 175-180. If it's going sky hi on you, you are still flipping somehow. I started out only doing very smooth 3/4 swings and pushing my hands through the impact zone. I also use the TS Pro with the Pure Ball Striker every time I use it. If I were you I would go to Chuck's YouTube page and watch his videos or send him an email. He is a really nice guy and will answer any questions you have.

Now i'm not saying that I am the end all be all best ball striker in the world, but i'm getting better and the TS Pro has helped me a lot.

I do the same thing, it is amazing for keeping my swing on point. I am religious about always using the TS and PBS when practicing and/or warming up...I start every range session or pre-round warm up using both together, then work my way to just the PBS on my normal club, then move to just my normal club.

Back