CS

Major Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
About 6 months ago I was having problems hitting my 4 hybrid and I wanted to try a 4 iron to see if that would be better for me. I wanted a cheap club that way if I didn't like it it wouldn't be a big deal to loose a few dollars. I went to golf works and found the maltby ke4 u groove irons I ordered the 4 and a fst 125 stiff shaft the head cost 14.99 and shaft was 5.99 I thought that was a very reasonable price. The graphics on the iron don't really appeal to me but at address the club looks really good it has a thin top line minimal offset and a narrow sole. The performance of the club for me was great it's forgiving it feels smooth on pure hits and miss hits give just enough feedback to let you know where you missed. The ball flight is mid high on good hits I'm getting 210-215 yards miss hits are not to far off line and still have good distance. I'm having such a good experience with this iron I'm almost thinking I want a full set but I'm leery about clubs that aren't a major OEM and I don't think the maltby MPF scores are really an accurate measure of a clubs performance. so my question is has anyone had any experience with maltby clubs or know anything about them?

About 6 months ago I was having problems hitting my 4 hybrid and I wanted to try a 4 iron to see if that would be better for me. I wanted a cheap club that way if I didn't like it it wouldn't be a big deal to loose a few dollars. I went to golf works and found the maltby ke4 u groove irons I ordered the 4 and a fst 125 stiff shaft the head cost 14.99 and shaft was 5.99 I thought that was a very reasonable price. The graphics on the iron don't really appeal to me but at address the club looks really good it has a thin top line minimal offset and a narrow sole. The performance of the club for me was great it's forgiving it feels smooth on pure hits and miss hits give just enough feedback to let you know where you missed. The ball flight is mid high on good hits I'm getting 210-215 yards miss hits are not to far off line and still have good distance. I'm having such a good experience with this iron I'm almost thinking I want a full set but I'm leery about clubs that aren't a major OEM and I don't think the maltby MPF scores are really an accurate measure of a clubs performance. so my question is has anyone had any experience with maltby clubs or know anything about them?

I used to play Matlby wedges and Hybrids, honestly loved them. Its what got me into doing my own club-work and they performed very very well for me.

The nicest thing is that you don't have to wait 2-3 years before they become cool like the OEM equipment.

The nicest thing is that you don't have to wait 2-3 years before they become cool like the OEM equipment.

LOL, so true, most OEM equipment is terrible, but then 3 years later they seem to get the kinks worked out and they are just awesome.

I used to play Matlby wedges and Hybrids, honestly loved them. Its what got me into doing my own club-work and they performed very very well for me.

Thats good to know you had good luck with them. My biggest fear is getting a full set of these and not having consistency within the set.

lol I never thought about it that way!

Maltby stuff seems to have a pretty good reputation on the component side of the industry. I'd play them if I had good results, although I agree with you on the MPF ratings.

Maltby/Golf Works makes top quality clubs - I've had a variety of them in the bag through the years and they have performed very well.

I will be gaming a KZG Driver shortly I'm actually really interested in component clubs.

I will be gaming a KZG Driver shortly I'm actually really interested in component clubs.

A friend of mine (7 hcp) has a set of KZG irons and loves them. Component clubs are very good if fitted and assembled correctly.

A friend of mine (7 hcp) has a set of KZG irons and loves them. Component clubs are very good if fitted and assembled correctly.

Local guy here is the top KZG fitter in the Midwest apparently. Gonna have him build me some irons sometime soon probably.

:eek:fftopic: what happened to those Ping G20 irons you were gaming ?

Wow seems to be alot of love for the golf works stuff.. I'm kind of surprised I never though a component company could compare to an OEM.

:eek:fftopic: what happened to those Ping G20 irons you were gaming ?

Hey Mikey, I have the diablo edge irons I like them and they are good irons but I've been having trouble with hitting the ball on the toe because the length and lie would need to be changed so I'm putting them up for sale instead of having them adjusted. For now I'm back to my old r7's that are the right length and lie for me

Not a fan of Maltby irons, although I've read some good things about them. Other "component" clubmakers (Snake Eyes, KZG) make better-looking equipment, without the MPF hype that Maltby tries to push, IMO.

I think that if that component club works for you, good for you. At those prices try another club like a 7i. Add one at a time. You can always have any adjustments made for lie and loft if needed.

My best driver ever was a Bob Mann driver. The right clubhead and shaft for me at the time.

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with this brand or those irons. Clubs don't have to be from one of the major OEM's to do the job. If they do the job, that is all that matters.

Not a fan of Maltby irons, although I've read some good things about them. Other "component" clubmakers (Snake Eyes, KZG) make better-looking equipment, without the MPF hype that Maltby tries to push, IMO.

I agree with you about the MPF hype I don't buy into it.

Hey Mikey, I have the diablo edge irons I like them and they are good irons but I've been having trouble with hitting the ball on the toe because the length and lie would need to be changed so I'm putting them up for sale instead of having them adjusted. For now I'm back to my old r7's that are the right length and lie for me

OH Curt, MY BAD, I got you confused with Condroll (sp) Sorry Buddy :-(

I don't know how I got you two mixed up, you don't look anything like him :D

OH Curt, MY BAD, I got you confused with Condroll (sp) Sorry Buddy :-(

I don't know how I got you two mixed up, you don't look anything like him :D

That's ok Mikey it's an honest mistake! lol

I have been looking at getting some components for awhile myself just don't know what combination to get

I played with component wedges (Snake Eyes) all summer and I have to say I really liked them. I got a really good deal on Mizuno's and will try those out next summer, but if they don't work out, I'm going right back to the Snake Eyes.

I played with component wedges (Snake Eyes) all summer and I have to say I really liked them. I got a really good deal on Mizuno's and will try those out next summer, but if they don't work out, I'm going right back to the Snake Eyes.
where did you get your snake eyes clubs from?
Also has anyone tried clubs from hireko golf?

I have a snake eyes 60* And I love it! But I am looking to upgrade my wedges this spring.

Back