Nicklausfan

Reaction score
So I'm at the dome today hitting some balls and working on things that I was instructed to do by my coach. Believe it or not it was to hit balls being too far off of the ball. A serious swing flaw at set-up. It was more of a cause and effect type workout... the best way to learn your swing he says is to be able to identify what causes a bad result. I started out being all business and then I worked on faults. So my trusty caddy/wife is with me and she videos a couple of swings. I get home, watch and I am mortified. Not only am I too far off of the ball but I'm literally watching my takeaway. He caught me doing this a couple of times during our range sessions earlier in the year.

Somehow I was still striping the ball. How I'll never understand nor do I want to. Odd. Man, that's a diaster mid-round waiting to surface.

Alex

Not everyone has a perfect swing. Plenty of people succeed with swing flaws. Tommy Gainey's swing is UGLY but he's still a tour player. I wouldn't worry too much about it and just get back to swinging how you're comfortable. I'm sure your swing will go back to the way it was soon enough.

So I'm at the dome today hitting some balls and working on things that I was instructed to do by my coach. Believe it or not it was to hit balls being too far off of the ball. A serious swing flaw at set-up. It was more of a cause and effect type workout... the best way to learn your swing he says is to be able to identify what causes a bad result. I started out being all business and then I worked on faults. So my trusty caddy/wife is with me and she videos a couple of swings. I get home, watch and I am mortified. Not only am I too far off of the ball but I'm literally watching my takeaway. He caught me doing this a couple of times during our range sessions earlier in the year.

Somehow I was still striping the ball. How I'll never understand nor do I want to. Odd. Man, that's a diaster mid-round waiting to surface.

Alex

I get in streaks where I watch the putter go back. It does not promote putt making.

Kwvin

I get in streaks where I watch the putter go back. It does not promote putt making.

Kwvin

Hi kwvin!

I have a bad habit of watching my takeaway with my driver. I'm so intent on not taking it inside that I'll sometimes watch it for the first few feet, rather annoying.

--
tapatalk

Jim Furyk's swing has been described as an "Octopus falling out of a tree." Yet he won the FedEx cup last year and is a huge star. Everyone's swing is personal and you need to be happy in your own skin.

Quick question, do you ever practice and focus on the process and not the result? Next time you are practicing, do everything you can to NOT watch the clubhead. If the shot is wayward, it's ok as long as you kept your head still.

Hi kwvin!

I have a bad habit of watching my takeaway with my driver. I'm so intent on not taking it inside that I'll sometimes watch it for the first few feet, rather annoying.

--
tapatalk

I've done that on occasion. Ironically, if I watch the driver go back I end up hitting a bigger slice than the one I was trying to prevent. You doing that with your driver may paralyze your lower body a little bit and cause you to make that flat footed follow through, which keeps you from getting to the left side.

Kevin

Quick question, do you ever practice and focus on the process and not the result? Next time you are practicing, do everything you can to NOT watch the clubhead. If the shot is wayward, it's ok as long as you kept your head still.

Thanks guys a lot of great points being made. Blu.... to answer your question oh yeah I always practice and focus on the process. It's really been the rallying cry between my coach and I. He actually doesn't care if we're working on something in particular and I hit one thin, fat or any combination thereof. As long as it's what he's looking for and it's during our journey to building my swing to getting it to where he wants.I think I answered the question but it might have been in reverse of what you were saying. I might have to crack out the camera tomorrow.

Alex

The important thing to me is that you know what to look for and what your problems are. THAT is key to knowing what and how to fix it. You know what to do, just dedicate yourself, put in the time, and you;ll be fine.

I think all that matters is what happens at impact. It doesn't matters how the club gets there, as long as it gets there. :)

Not everyone has a perfect swing. Plenty of people succeed with swing flaws. Tommy Gainey's swing is UGLY but he's still a tour player. I wouldn't worry too much about it and just get back to swinging how you're comfortable. I'm sure your swing will go back to the way it was soon enough.

Jim Furyk's swing has been described as an "Octopus falling out of a tree." Yet he won the FedEx cup last year and is a huge star. Everyone's swing is personal and you need to be happy in your own skin.

This is exactly how I feel about the golf swing. Different physical aspects and talent leads to all sorts of personalisms :D. I still think a good smooth tempo will fix most flaws and is something to strongly pursue. Paralysis by analysis can kill your natural ability to swing within your limits.

This is exactly how I feel about the golf swing. Different physical aspects and talent leads to all sorts of personalisms :D. I still think a good smooth tempo will fix most flaws and is something to strongly pursue. Paralysis by analysis can kill your natural ability to swing within your limits.

Gray:

Very good points.

It also shows that if you ingrain something whether positive or negative during a practice swing it can definitely effect your "real" swing. Sean...I've always said that it doesn't matter how you get to the the top or on the way down but it's that critical 24 or so inches leading up to impact..and of course following through that matters.

Alex

Ive caught myself watching the driver takeaway too. Its a bad habit to get into so now I try to look just in front of the ball.

Yes, everyone's swing is personal, and my swing coach is very big on letting golfers keep their own personality in their swing. You can have a few natural idiosyncrasies so long as you naturally compensate for those elsewhere in your swing. But, just about every good golfer comes to the same position at this point in their downswing:

Glover-Downswing.bmp

Jim Furyk swings way outside the target line, and then pulls the club back inside on his downswing. Raymond Floyd used to bring the club way INSIDE his toe line, and then let it drift back out to get on plane in the downswing. Kenny Perry actually lifts up and sits back down in his downswing. Jack Nicklaus had a flying right elbow and actually came over to top....

But all of them pretty much got the ball back into that same swing plane by the time their hands were waist high.

I am not a golf pro, and I don't know what kind of swing Nicklausfan has, but standing too far away from the ball can be a serious problem if it prevents him from delivering the club consistently on plane.

Bubba Watson said it right, do what works for you. If you learn your swing and perfect it, it doesn't matter if you look good while swinging. As long as it works for you.

Yes, everyone's swing is personal, and my swing coach is very big on letting golfers keep their own personality in their swing. You can have a few natural idiosyncrasies so long as you naturally compensate for those elsewhere in your swing. But, just about every good golfer comes to the same position at this point in their downswing:

Glover-Downswing.bmp

Jim Furyk swings way outside the target line, and then pulls the club back inside on his downswing. Raymond Floyd used to bring the club way INSIDE his toe line, and then let it drift back out to get on plane in the downswing. Kenny Perry actually lifts up and sits back down in his downswing. Jack Nicklaus had a flying right elbow and actually came over to top....

But all of them pretty much got the ball back into that same swing plane by the time their hands were waist high.

I am not a golf pro, and I don't know what kind of swing Nicklausfan has, but standing too far away from the ball can be a serious problem if it prevents him from delivering the club consistently on plane.

This afternoon my coach called me after getting home from an angiogram. Freaking guy!! I was at the dome working at the time. Anyways he asked me if I had been working and I said yes and told him about yesterday. He said that when I do that (watch the takeaway) I never seem to take my eyes off of the ball. He said "It's okay as long as you don't but I'd prefer if you didn't move because it's likely costing you 10 yards when you do that (the extra movement)".

My session was much better today.. I knew I was staying both behind the ball and not watching the takeaway.

Alex

Kwvin

You are not supposed to do that?

You are not supposed to do that?

It's best not, in my opinion. Eyes and head still. Promotes more putt making.

Kevin

I am always mortified when I see my swing on video

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I am always mortified when I see my swing on video

When I videoed mine for TMC, it took me weeks to get over seeing it.

Kevin

Haha I hate seeing myself. It never looks like it feels. I feel like Freddie but look like Furyk

Back