Angry Young Men: Ogilvy vs Allenby

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Well almost:

November 28, 2011
[h=1]Truth & Rumors: Allenby challenges Ogilvy to fight[/h]
Frustrations from the Presidents Cup boiled over as a spat between Robert Allenby and Geoff Ogilvy came close to blows in front of 150 guests at the Hyatt Regency Coolum while celebrating Greg Chalmers Australian PGA victory, reports Steve Orme. Allenby, who went 0-4 without earning the International team a single point at Royal Melbourne, laid the groundwork for the feud when he placed the blame on his teammate for his poor performance.
The 40-year-old hit back at criticism of his own play on Thursday and appeared to deflect the blame onto his playing partners—Retief Goosen, YE Yang and Ogilvy.
He claimed Goosen missed several birdie putts in Thursday's foursomes, insinuated that Yang didn't pull his weight in Friday's fourball and claimed Ogilvy 'hit me in the tree three times off the tee and I had to chip out three times', in Saturday's foursomes.
Ogilvy, who was playing alongside Allenby at the Australian PGA, responded to his fellow Victorian's comments via Twitter:

While Ogilvy maintained that the tweet was genuine when questioned by the media, Allenby took offense to what he believed to be a sarcastic retort and confronted Ogilvy.
When Allenby sauntered over to Ogilvy's table and sat down at around 9:15 PM on Sunday night, the 2006 US Open champion immediately made his dissatisfaction known.
He was overheard accusing Allenby of throwing him under the bus and openly questioned his character, which sent the four-time PGA winner into a rage.
Allenby inadvertently broke a wine glass and screamed 'do you want to go?', prompting Ogilvy, who was surrounded by seven friends, to get out of his chair in front of a captivated and stunned audience.
However, Allenby's temper struck again when Ogilvy sought out an apology later in the evening.
The ugly stoush escalated once again as Allenby invited his adversary to meet him outside of the main square, to which Ogilvy quipped 'I'd like that'.
The squabbling finally came to an end as Allenby stormed out while Ogilvy watched on calmly. If only Allenby had shown this much fight during the Presidents Cup...

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2011/11/truth-rumors-allenby-challenges-ogilvy-to-fight.html

Utterly ridiculous. You never throw your teammates under the bus like that whether it is true or not. This guy is a piece of garbage for doing this.

I think he was going to shank him with the wine glass.

Allenby is a waste of flesh. Gotta be one of the most hated men on tour.

Interesting! I loved reading that story lol.

Allenby was in the Presidents Cup? Interesting.....never saw him.

Pretty embarassing for the both of them.

And who said golf wasn't a contact sport? But yes, embarrassing is right.

I feel bad for Greg Chalmers. He was very emotional after winning that tournament and seemed like a pretty nice guy. The cameras caught him talking to his little boy, who was clearly very proud of his Daddy. Too bad a nice celebration had to be marred with some overinflated egos (well at least one anyway).

I don't like either one of them, let them beat the hell out of each other.

Allenby wanted to start it off by blaming everyone but himself for his poor performance. I don't see Aussies as the type that will take trash talking well. Sure, Ogilvy took a little jab back but the response by Allenby was laughable and he was out of line to take it that far. As a captain's pick you could at least put up a strong showing and if you lose, well then you go down fighting.

Just maybe not fighting your teammates... doh!

I see Hawk being this bitter sometime next summer

I'd take em both to the woodshed:deadhorse::beat-up:!

I'd take em both to the woodshed:deadhorse::beat-up:!

That is a given, you would be all over those whippersnappers. :D

I agree with what others have said. RA is a arse for having tried to throw his playing partners under the bus.

Dude... Allenby was playing by prison rules... he breaks a frickin' wine glass and yells "do you want to go"! Holy crap that is intense. I am thinking Allenby had a sock hidden away with a cue ball inside too.

Dude... Allenby was playing by prison rules... he breaks a frickin' wine glass and yells "do you want to go"! Holy crap that is intense. I am thinking Allenby had a sock hidden away with a cue ball inside too.

An orange is better. Leaves no marks

Throwing a teammate under the bus after an event is over is about as low as it gets.

Kevin

First Jack Del Rio, now Robert Allenby. Lots of bus drivers in the sports world now

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

This entire thing just strikes me hilarious. I bet the two get at it and have a slapping match, or pull hair.

Back