Chipping Technique

I chip just like a regular shot, with an eighth of the backswing. Swing your wrists and put your hips into it, works WAY better than keeping my hands tight and forward like a pro will preach.

Thanks for posting the video, Duey. That's actually pretty similar to what the others have been when you really look at the basics.

Freddie - you say 'toe up', but it almost looks like the heel is up in the video. Can you explain that just a little for me?

I thought I was a good chipper until the late summer when I started topping everything. Our assistant pro took one look at me and changed everything. I use to chip the way Andy's video shows with the narrow stance and the ball back. He had me widen my stance and move the ball to the middle. It works! It could have been a quick fix and next year I may go back to Andy's way. Thanks for all the videos.

Thanks for posting the video, Duey. That's actually pretty similar to what the others have been when you really look at the basics.

Freddie - you say 'toe up', but it almost looks like the heel is up in the video. Can you explain that just a little for me?

I bet Freddie means have the club up on the toe. I'll do that. The ball comes off the club with little spin. You have to trust the mass of the club to lift the ball. I've read through this thread and we're mainly talking about chipping the ball and letting it run, correct? I agree with most everything Andy says in his video, thought the ball seems a little far back in the stance to me, but that may be camera angle. I'm not a big fan of chipping with a 56* wedge. The margin for error is greater in that the ball occasionally will check up. I like a 50-52* myself with my hands in front, but not quite as far in front as Andy advocates with a 56*. And like others have said, the hands lead the club face through impact.

Kevin

I chip just like a regular shot, with an eighth of the backswing. Swing your wrists and put your hips into it, works WAY better than keeping my hands tight and forward like a pro will preach.

I don't agree with this. Sway of the wrists makes mishits (thin, fat, etc) more likely, and since distance control is one of the biggest things in chipping, mishits are BAD. I also find that hip sway messes with distance control. I think it's much easier to do it putting stroke style or hinge-and-hold (which is essentially like a putting stroke on the way through).

I don't agree with this. Sway of the wrists makes mishits (thin, fat, etc) more likely, and since distance control is one of the biggest things in chipping, mishits are BAD. I also find that hip sway messes with distance control. I think it's much easier to do it putting stroke style or hinge-and-hold (which is essentially like a putting stroke on the way through).

I agree with this. If I don't keep my hands and hips quiet I struggle mightily with consistent distance.

For me I've started using a bump and run shot much more recently and my proximity to the hole has improved in bunches. Plus it takes the bladed wedge shot out of play.

--
tapatalk

Generally you want to chip with your big muscles. You don't want a lot of wiggling around going on while chipping.

Kevin

Loving the videos and info. I wish I had a lit practice green to go practice on right now.

I'm all about letting the ball run to the hole and that's how I normally play my chip shots. I wasn't bad before, but I want to be better and I think a consistent, simple technique could help me.

Generally you want to chip with your big muscles. You don't want a lot of wiggling around going on while chipping.

Kevin

Chipping with your belly doesn't count...hehehe

I'm sorry that should be heel up toe down. By doing this with a fairly straight faced club you can get the ball out of the rough and rolling toward your target quicker. It also minimizes the stroke length because it is more like a putting motion. I like to minimize the length of the motion to 12"-18" back and through. Based on the length of the shot I will chip with longer clubs. This can continue through the hybrids.

Thanks for that! I never thought to try something like that out of the rough. Looks like I have a great place to start. My indoor facility has a decent little practice green and I can work in my basement over the winter as well. I'm not really so concerned about distances right now. Just clean contact.

Thanks for that! I never thought to try something like that out of the rough. Looks like I have a great place to start. My indoor facility has a decent little practice green and I can work in my basement over the winter as well. I'm not really so concerned about distances right now. Just clean contact.

When I speak of rough I am talking about the 6-12" outside of the collar of the green. This technique will carry out of the rough and over the fridge and roll to the hole.

When I speak of rough I am talking about the 6-12" outside of the collar of the green. This technique will carry out of the rough and over the fridge and roll to the hole.

That's always a tough spot for me, so I'll be working on it. It can be unpredictable. Thanks again, Freddie.

I'm sorry that should be heel up toe down. By doing this with a fairly straight faced club you can get the ball out of the rough and rolling toward your target quicker. It also minimizes the stroke length because it is more like a putting motion. I like to minimize the length of the motion to 12"-18" back and through. Based on the length of the shot I will chip with longer clubs. This can continue through the hybrids.

I'm going to try and get out to work with a couple lower lofted clubs like this tomorrow, along with a feel for me back swing distance. Thanks Freddie.

My belly is one big muscle.

Kevin

I better leave this one alone Kevin, haha

I spent a little bit on the green before my round today. I tried gripping up higher on the grip, but just could not get the feel for it. I think my stance and stroke mimics my slow southern draw, hehe. Sorry for making everyone wade through this.

[YOUTUBE]3DoaWKtYrSY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]p7Arhtj4GIU[/YOUTUBE]

@thedue @hawk no worries at all. I hope it helps make the game more enjoyable.

I use an 8i almost all the time for my chipping. I use a putting stroke to do it, hands led the way of course.

when the ball is in the greenside rough I'll use the 8 or 9, heel up, toe down, it lifts the ball very nicely. I find also that a long follow though towards the hole (like a good putting stroke) really helps with this shot and gets the ball rolling very nicely.

Also when chipping and the pin is close, downhill fast green, I'll also use the above technique. Shoter backstroke, shorter follow through, it takes the speed off when hitting it out on the toe like that ...... same concept of hitting the ball on the toe of the putter when putting a slippery fast downhill putt

Just a quick follow up. First off, I want to thank everybody again. I got some great info and videos to learn from and you can't beat that.

I've been working a good amount on this and I feel like I'm already seeing improvements in the quality of my contact and consistency with chip shots. I've found that the setup is very important as well as no hands/using my shoulders. I'm taking a couple mock swings to get the feel for not using my hands. I think a good amount of my issues came from being handsy.

I took it to the 'practice green' today, which is actually indoors at my sim facility. It's 15 yards from end to end and is one of those cool ones that actually has some give to it and will allow a little check up like a real green. I was able to work on using the same stroke for different distances with different clubs and I liked it alot. I know the distances won't be the same on a real green, but that's not really the point. The point is I can cover a distance with the same stroke and that's pretty cool to me. I've always gone by feel, but that's not always there for me. When it's not, I'm SOL.

Good stuff and I'm glad I made the thread.

Duey, a star is born! :act-up:

Good going Hawk !! I too am benefiting from this thread, Thanks for starting it.

I'm gonna try to get in some practice tomorrow .... if I make it I'll try to get some video of my technique .... heck, I'll prob learn something from seeing it myself ..... :D that's pretty scary !!!!!!!1

One thing I did was practice the set up and stroke in the mirror to compare with Andy's video. What I realized is that I wasn't getting the grip in front of the head nearly as much as I thought I was and that I was using my hands far more than I thought I was. Really helped to see it.

One thing I did was practice the set up and stroke in the mirror to compare with Andy's video. What I realized is that I wasn't getting the grip in front of the head nearly as much as I thought I was and that I was using my hands far more than I thought I was. Really helped to see it.

Good job hawk, your really working to get it down. Something that helps me is video while on the course and look back after the round. I have a bunch and made several more chip vids today. I can see I was all arms and pulling across my chest rather than more static.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Here's the chip that just kill's my game most days. Out of the rough and over a knob downhill. I came up short against the wind, but some how got it pretty close and had a stellar putt, haha. I went back and tried several more times after this and never got it close again. I think a feel player has so much of an advantage on these shots over us mechanical types.

[YOUTUBE]BHvRuWve6r8[/YOUTUBE]

Back