Nike VR Pro Driver

why does no one talk about this driver. i hit r11 an 910 d3 an this killed both. both those drivers have a water down shaft. that project x shaft in nike is 280 dollars alone. give this club its due. plus u can go in quarter degrees in adjusting the head.

That avatar is hilarious

I love this driver. I think that it is one of the best offering in 2011. It's up there with the Launch 290 and F11, of the drivers I've tried. I like that the 9.5* is available in a 460cc head. I think that there is enough forgiveness for a mid-high handicap to play it. I would happily trade my SuperTri for it. I am not going to spend the money, but I wouldn't have any hesitation putting it into my bag. Also the Machspeed Black is no slouch either.

so I hit this driver for the first time yesterday

all I can say is WOW

Take it for what its worth but the golf galaxy sim had me at 275 pretty much down the pipe every time

I figured the yardages were jacked up, but that I could at least try it against my Burner 2.0

Wasnt even close, the Nike averaged 16 yards further and was more consistent, it had a very solid feel to it when you made contact.

When it comes down in price next year, I might have to check it out again

Sexiest driver out there. I love the entire VR Pro line, but I yet have yet to get any of the beautiful products in my bag.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

I bought this driver a few weeks ago and really love it. It seems to be the only driver I can hit where I can really, really get after it. It did take some getting used to the sound and feel, but I tried the R11 and 910D series drivers as well thinking I would end up with one of those...never hit the Nike until I ruled out the TM and Titleist...ended up with the VR Pro Tour Driver & got it while the Buy One get a VR Hybrid Free deal was on....I love this driver!

I bought this driver a few weeks ago and really love it. It seems to be the only driver I can hit where I can really, really get after it. It did take some getting used to the sound and feel, but I tried the R11 and 910D series drivers as well thinking I would end up with one of those...never hit the Nike until I ruled out the TM and Titleist...ended up with the VR Pro Tour Driver & got it while the Buy One get a VR Hybrid Free deal was on....I love this driver!

Curious why you chose those 3 drivers to narrow it down to? And in the end, did you compare shafts that were really similar? What I mean by that is in your description, you talk about it being the only one of the 3 that you can really go after. That would make me think it is a shaft thing more than a club head thing. The PX 6.0 gets a lot of play, and for some reason most believe it equates to a "stiff" shaft across the board when comparing it to other OEMs. Truth is, that it is significantly firmer than that and plays firmer as well. In our testing, it is also higher spin than either the R11 or the 910D2. Now Im just rambling, but these questions pop into my mind when us, the consumers, are choosing drivers and narrow it down.

I really liked this driver while I had it, but it broke around the adjustable part of shaft. This driver has a great feel when hit flush.

I really liked this driver while I had it, but it broke around the adjustable part of shaft. This driver has a great feel when hit flush.

I would agree, a much better feel and sound than the machspeed IMO

Curious why you chose those 3 drivers to narrow it down to? And in the end, did you compare shafts that were really similar? What I mean by that is in your description, you talk about it being the only one of the 3 that you can really go after. That would make me think it is a shaft thing more than a club head thing. The PX 6.0 gets a lot of play, and for some reason most believe it equates to a "stiff" shaft across the board when comparing it to other OEMs. Truth is, that it is significantly firmer than that and plays firmer as well. In our testing, it is also higher spin than either the R11 or the 910D2. Now Im just rambling, but these questions pop into my mind when us, the consumers, are choosing drivers and narrow it down.

No, I actually hit almost every driver in the store for an extended amount of time over a couple of weeks. I don't have the same equipment knowledge as you (or most THP members). I have a pretty quick swing speed 105+ and have used "softer" shafts in the past which don't work well for me. I narrowed down to those few drivers because of the overall feel of the club, look at address, and using the few launch monitor stats I understand. The only Nike driver I tested originally was the MachSpeed Black. I didn't care for the VR because I like a more rounded head at address than the "tear dropish" look of the VR. After I hit the VR outside I really liked the feel of the club during swing and I DID in fact want the Str8-Fit technology (see my avatar). I actually was out driving the R11, which I thought had some good reviews with regards to distance. I like this club because I felt it fit my particular swing better than the others. I'm not very big...and had to adjust...to the sound at impact and feel at contact with these new drivers as they seem to me to have more "pop" both in sound and feel than older technology (i.e. Nike SQ I played before). The overall look of the club is what placed it as "'last" in my selection process, but since have learned to be more confident with the style driver rather than the fat round look I'd become used to playing. I'm very happy with this club.

Thank you for the input.

No, I actually hit almost every driver in the store for an extended amount of time over a couple of weeks. I don't have the same equipment knowledge as you (or most THP members). I have a pretty quick swing speed 105+ and have used "softer" shafts in the past which don't work well for me. I narrowed down to those few drivers because of the overall feel of the club, look at address, and using the few launch monitor stats I understand. The only Nike driver I tested originally was the MachSpeed Black. I didn't care for the VR because I like a more rounded head at address than the "tear dropish" look of the VR. After I hit the VR outside I really liked the feel of the club during swing and I DID in fact want the Str8-Fit technology (see my avatar). I actually was out driving the R11, which I thought had some good reviews with regards to distance. I like this club because I felt it fit my particular swing better than the others. I'm not very big...and had to adjust...to the sound at impact and feel at contact with these new drivers as they seem to me to have more "pop" both in sound and feel than older technology (i.e. Nike SQ I played before). The overall look of the club is what placed it as "'last" in my selection process, but since have learned to be more confident with the style driver rather than the fat round look I'd become used to playing. I'm very happy with this club.

Awesome man! Good decision it looks like and glad to see you found something that seems to be working.

awesome to hear, Im going to see if any of the courses around here have a demo one I can take out on the course and try

Not a problem guys! I've played with guys that can really hit the R11 and I really felt it came down to absolute personal preference to feel and look. I wasn't out driving the others (TM or Titleist) by 20 yards or anything, just consistantly 5-10 max. I also found that it didn't hurt me when I tried to put a little extra into a swing. Which as a self proclaimed "averge joe" means a lot because my swing isn't as "mechanical" as some of you guys here. I think that this purchase has opened me up quite a bit to some other clubs that I wouldn't have looked at before. I can't say this driver is for everybody...just happens to be the one for me................for now anyway!

I had the VR Pro Driver with Project X 6.0 shaft and it broke by the SR8-FIT sleeve. I never really bonded with the sound either. I took it in to be replaced and walked out with the R11. I hit the R11 straighter and 15 yards farther than the Nike, plus the R11 has more adjustment options. Best thing that could've happened for my game.

Nike VR Pro Driver

Has anyone used the Nike VR Pro Driver? Any opinion on this driver? How forgiving is this driver? Does it look good when addressed (small compact head) ?

I think it is a great looking driver, I really like the feel of it, and the sound is not bad for a Nike. I hit some really great looking shots with the driver. I didn't find it to be unforgiving, but it wasn't as forgiving for me as other drivers such as the G20, Octane and 910D2.

I think it is a great looking driver, I really like the feel of it, and the sound is not bad for a Nike. I hit some really great looking shots with the driver. I didn't find it to be unforgiving, but it wasn't as forgiving for me as other drivers such as the G20, Octane and 910D2.

How accurate is this driver? Most of your tee shots ended up in the fairways?

How accurate is this driver? Most of your tee shots ended up in the fairways?

I've only hit it on a range and on a LM, but I found it to be fairly accurate. I lost more distance on off-center shots than I did with some others, but I haven't played with it on the course when I can really tell.

I'm using a Nike VR Pro Tour Str8-Fit driver, if that's the one you're referring to (not the new VR Pro Limited Edition, which I've hit on the range as well).

If this is in fact the club you're talking about.. I went to purchase either a R11 or 910 driver. I didn't feel comfortable with either and didn't like the feel very much. I left and went back and tried the VR Pro. I really like this driver a lot. Felt more comfortable with it overall.

I would say, search around about the Str8-Fit. I've had to have mine replaced by Nike due to it snaping at the hosel (seemed to be an issue IMO from what I've read). I've hit the new VR Pro LE driver as well and would say that off the face, it's better than the VR Pro, R11, and 910 from my experience. Doesn't have any adjustment to it, but the new face is hotter and I preferred it.

Has anyone used the Nike VR Pro Driver? Any opinion on this driver? How forgiving is this driver? Does it look good when addressed (small compact head) ?

I currently have this driver in the bag. I love it, but as far as forgiveness, it's probably not the best. The default setting is at 2* open I believe. You can adjust the str8-fit to make it more forgiving to your swing though. The look at address is awesome, I like the clean and simple look.

I'm using a Nike VR Pro Tour Str8-Fit driver, if that's the one you're referring to (not the new VR Pro Limited Edition, which I've hit on the range as well).

If this is in fact the club you're talking about.. I went to purchase either a R11 or 910 driver. I didn't feel comfortable with either and didn't like the feel very much. I left and went back and tried the VR Pro. I really like this driver a lot. Felt more comfortable with it overall.

I would say, search around about the Str8-Fit. I've had to have mine replaced by Nike due to it snaping at the hosel (seemed to be an issue IMO from what I've read). I've hit the new VR Pro LE driver as well and would say that off the face, it's better than the VR Pro, R11, and 910 from my experience. Doesn't have any adjustment to it, but the new face is hotter and I preferred it.

Yeah, I'm referring to the VR pro with str8fit hosel. Not the limited edition.

Did you use the stock Project X shaft when it snapped?

How straight is this driver compared to the other two?

Last edited:
Yes, I've got the Project X 6.0 Stiff and 9.5*. I hit the clubs on a launch monitor so it wasn't easy to tell straight, but once I got the adjustments dialed in, I love it. I closed up the face some and feel way more confident over the ball. I'm aware that adjusting the face isn't "fixing" my slice problem, but it certainly makes for a more fun day on the course.

I wanted to bring this thread back to the top. I've been looking at the VR Pro Str8-fit driver (not LE), and I'm interested to hear other's thoughts. The price on that driver right now is pretty ridiculous (you can find them for under $150).

I'm always looking for a driver with a lower ball flights. (I tend to hit "moon shots" that kill me on windy days.) If anyone has thoughts on the VR Pro with a PX shaft, I'm all ears.

I wanted to bring this thread back to the top. I've been looking at the VR Pro Str8-fit driver (not LE), and I'm interested to hear other's thoughts. The price on that driver right now is pretty ridiculous (you can find them for under $150).

I'm always looking for a driver with a lower ball flights. (I tend to hit "moon shots" that kill me on windy days.) If anyone has thoughts on the VR Pro with a PX shaft, I'm all ears.

Can't speak for the driver, but the 3wood is a beast!

Back