Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Got to see one in person at Edwin Watts today. It is a really great looking driver, too bad all the bays were full for demos of the Edwin Watts Golf Academy.

Quick google search told me it is a Golf Pride 25 gram grip.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Holy crap thats light! I cant imagine me changing the grip will make a difference in performance distance wise so I think I will be ok. If not I can always switch back.

Sorry to hear that CL, what about this driver is not working for you right now? I know its lighter and an inch longer than your last driver, but do you think anything else is contributing to the struggles? Swingweight perhaps, or has it changed your tempo?

Im sure I have just over looked this but does anybody know the weight of the grip on the CG Black? My midsize grip I want to put on is 65grams so I am trying to figure out just how much weight I will be adding. If I recall the stock grip is only 35-40grams, heck maybe lighter lol.

10y, the CG Black grip is 25grams. I'd like to go oversize but looked at midsize grips as well. Being a fan of Winn Grips, I'm thinking:

25g WinnLITE Soft Midsize Hero since proceeds go to the Troops First Foundation ... and I think my B-1 would look killer with the camo grip.
6ls-hero.png.normal.png

26g Winn Dri-Tac Oversize Black (The midsize is actually 23g)
7dtw.png.normal.png

I didn't look at Golf Pride or Lambkin. I looked at Pure but they didn't have anything this low.

Now, according to this video with Frank Thomas, grip weight doesn't make a difference ... but I'm unlikely to mess with it much personally - that's how much I like the CG Black. (skip to 47s)
[video=youtube;WsLl5GQ-kqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsLl5GQ-kqA#t=47.3s[/video]

Man just got back from a round and struggled mightily with this driver. Pushing right and pop ups. Just didn't have a driver swing today

Mama said they'll be days like this. Anything in particular? I tried to walk on today but no luck, would have been waiting for quite a long while.

Thanks for the info D. I will just give it a little time with the stock grip and if it doesnt work (which it wont hehe) I will swap it out.

Sorry to hear that CL, what about this driver is not working for you right now? I know its lighter and an inch longer than your last driver, but do you think anything else is contributing to the struggles? Swingweight perhaps, or has it changed your tempo?

I just didn't have a driver swing today CB. I think this driver for me is sometimes difficult to stay in tempo with. Maybe too light? I was just awful. Pushing most of them right. Lazy pop flies. Quick duck hooks. I struggled with everything today though. Just a sloppy day.

Chunky, can you pinpoint what was different from last night to tonight? I believe you said last range session was quite good.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

I am sure it will come around Chunky. I am going to get to the range tomorrow, if the rain holds off. I rolled my ankle pretty bad yesterday, so I am hoping the swelling goes done some with my brace on.

Chunky, can you pinpoint what was different from last night to tonight? I believe you said last range session was quite good.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

I was crushing it yesterday. I think today I was very lazy with my pivot. Instead of doing the pivot I was doing the sway. Swaying, for me, leads to exactly what happened today which is an all over miss. What I have noticed with this driver though is that this seems to happen more often then with other drivers. Early so there is lots of time to figure this out. But could it be possible that the lighter weight leads me to get lazy? I don't know. I don't tend to miss with the driver as much as I seem to be missing with this one.

Difference from yesterday and today was startling. Yesterday on the range I was killing it. Heck I took some video of me hitting it and I was basically hitting every shot I tried. Fades, draws, straight. Everything. Mdbuschr played with me today and he can verify how bad I was. On a great note, he was destroying this driver today. I think he hit it 2 or 3 times and each time I saw him hit it was an absolute bomb

I just didn't have a driver swing today CB. I think this driver for me is sometimes difficult to stay in tempo with. Maybe too light? I was just awful. Pushing most of them right. Lazy pop flies. Quick duck hooks. I struggled with everything today though. Just a sloppy day.

I was crushing it yesterday. I think today I was very lazy with my pivot. Instead of doing the pivot I was doing the sway. Swaying, for me, leads to exactly what happened today which is an all over miss. What I have noticed with this driver though is that this seems to happen more often then with other drivers. Early so there is lots of time to figure this out. But could it be possible that the lighter weight leads me to get lazy? I don't know. I don't tend to miss with the driver as much as I seem to be missing with this one.

Difference from yesterday and today was startling. Yesterday on the range I was killing it. Heck I took some video of me hitting it and I was basically hitting every shot I tried. Fades, draws, straight. Everything. Mdbuschr played with me today and he can verify how bad I was. On a great note, he was destroying this driver today. I think he hit it 2 or 3 times and each time I saw him hit it was an absolute bomb

Interesting thoughts CL, I will be following you closely as you keep testing this driver. I got along with the SL 290 right from the start, but I know many struggle at first with the lighter weight.

Sorry you had a bad time with the driver today CL. Maybe tomorrow will bring better results. When I recently hit the black driver my first two shots went to the right into the trees. The rep asked if he could give me one tip. After telling me to keep my head behind the ball, I hit a great drive straight down the middle. I have several faults that I fight and lunging is one of my worst habits. I'm sure you'll figure out what you're doing wrong or maybe this driver just isn't for you.

Glad you found something that works well for you shark. Out of curiosity what aspect of the 11 works better for you?

--
tapatalk

Didn't buy it just put it up against the CG black while I was @ Golf Galaxy. To answer your question they had the R-11 driver 10.5 set up neutral with a reg flex shaft. GG didn't leave the numbers up long ,but at a quick look the carry was much further 20~30 yds for me. The testers are pounding away with the Black I couldn't get anywhere close to those numbers on the monitor with Sirxon balls at GG. I'll take a 909 and my Sumo in with me when my Irons come in to see how they gauge on the monitor. I'll have to ponder this with the price drop.

Last edited:
Finally felt healthy so I tried to go 100% on this thing...bad idea nothing but pulls until I eased off. I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can get used to the light club. I'll have a full write up tomorrow

Well I’ve already stated how god awful I was today on the course. But I do want to point out what happened yesterday at the range. It was a beautiful day so I took a few hours and hit a couple hundred balls. The results were outstanding.

I pretty much was hitting exactly what I wanted to hit. I was really working on keeping the pivot in my swing instead of swaying and it was working yesterday. One other thing that I worked on was tee height. Everyone else was teeing this much lower than I was. So yesterday was the first time that I put the tee height back to normal for me. What a difference. The ball flight was exactly what I want from a driver. It starts off mid high and just keeps traveling upward until it reaches it’s peak. It then stays in the air just a little bit and gradually comes down with some decent roll out. A thing of beauty.

Here is a video of me trying all the shots. Draws, Low, Fades, and straight shots were all working yesterday. I really like the low shot with this driver which is surprising to me. Something about this driver is allowing me to play this shot better. It’s a great shot into the wind

Great video Chunky, that driver sounds great.

I hit this club today and unfortunately my pictures of the numbers came out really fuzzy, so I don't have the numbers but I don't know if it is the lighter weight or what but i was not getting any real good numbers. I am going to go back again later and try it again, as I think the light weight,which I am not accustomed to was throwing me off today. I liked how the ball felt coming off the club face and it felt solid but something was off for me today with this club.

I hit this club today and unfortunately my pictures of the numbers came out really fuzzy, so I don't have the numbers but I don't know if it is the lighter weight or what but i was not getting any real good numbers. I am going to go back again later and try it again, as I think the light weight,which I am not accustomed to was throwing me off today. I liked how the ball felt coming off the club face and it felt solid but something was off for me today with this club.

Matt was loving how the ball felt coming off the face. He was crushing this today

Hi guys I haven't vanished. Been really busy working backcountry patrol since early this morning. I will post up my range and course thoughts on Sunday.

Nice video Chunky, you were really striking it! I'm sure you'll get back to that quickly after the setback today.

I saw these today at Golftown. I couldn't believe how light they are and how beautiful too. I wanted to hit one, but I was afraid I'd like it. lol

Loved that video. Nice views of the ball flight all the way out there. Thanks, Chunk!

Nice little video Chunky, the ball flights looked really solid on those shots. Sorry it didn't translate over to the course as you expected but looked like you had some really nice tempo working at the range. I hit this in the store and came away impressed but really want to hit this on the course to get a better feel for it.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Cleveland Black Range Session
11/25/11

From the first swing of the day I new today was going to be a struggle. Forutnately I was armed with 460CC’s of awesome to help save me from myself. For whatever reason I was making contact almost exclusively out on the toe, video would later show that I was pulling my lead arm in just before contact. This was causing my path to become out to in just before contact. Hooray side-spin! On a positive note however the hits off the toe weren’t overly lacking in distance, landing around the 200yd indicator.

Well luckily for me the extra weighting in the rear of the Black driver was helping me shut the face and keep me from hitting those ugly high slices that seem to find the next county over. I was actually waiting for a day like this, a little bounce back to reality for me. My swing isn’t the most consistent thing, but more times that not I get in the right posistions and produce something skin to a good swing. Then there are days like Friday, where no matter what I do my brain and body refuse to get on the same page and the results are inconsistent.

Not much of an update, but really there isn’t much to report here. It was a bad day, but on the bright side those are getting fewer and farther between.

I've got to go out into the backcountry for a few hours and I will post my post round recap afterwards.

Back