TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
Something clicked today with the driver.

Previously I have been able to carry around 180 and hope for roll to get me over 200. I know, not long- but probably about average for a majority of golfers. I have been working on my swing with an instructor for a while and although it feels better swinging, I had not seen any real results.... until today.

About halfway through my driver session I hit one which actually bounced off the 200 sign. No wind, not downhill or anything. A fluke? No. My next 10 shots ALL carried 210-220 right down the middle and according to the computer my SS was over 90 on all but one.

Amazing! I am suddenly 30 yards longer through the air! What a difference that is going to make!

I still can't believe it!

There's nothing like that feeling of something clicking and then whatever you do it just workds. Well done.

Congrats on the Driver coming to you. Was it something that you can't explain that happened or are was it something noticeable that you can take notes to continue with your success for you next trip to the range?

Congrats on the Driver coming to you. Was it something that you can't explain that happened or are was it something noticeable that you can take notes to continue with your success for you next trip to the range?

Mostly just a feeling, maybe mussel memory finally adjusting? I was concentrating on really doing an inside out swing waaaay out to 'first base' before coming around, standing tall through swing, and accelerating all the way. But I have been doing this a while. Today for some reason it all came together.

I''ll try again on Friday.

Mostly just a feeling, maybe mussel memory finally adjusting? I was concentrating on really doing an inside out swing waaaay out to 'first base' before coming around, standing tall through swing, and accelerating all the way. But I have been doing this a while. Today for some reason it all came together.

Congrats on the breakthrough. This is the exact same thing I do to bring my driver back around when it starts acting out. It really works!

Congrats! 20-30 yards is a big gain in distance.

Sent from HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

congrats on the breakthrough

Nice break through, keep it up.

I love those breakthrough moments. Congrats!

not much better in golf than having a breakthrough, NICE GOING !!

Congratulations TS, that is an awesome breakthrough 10-20% gain in carry is certainly admirable. WTG!!!

Mostly just a feeling, maybe mussel memory finally adjusting? I was concentrating on really . But I have been doing this a while. Today for some reason it all came together.

I use my memo pad on my smartphone to take notes like your thought of "doing an inside out swing waaaay out to 'first base' before coming around, standing tall through swing, and accelerating all the way". It helps me because over time I forget and I'm asking myself what was it last time that I was doing to make a good swing. Again Congrats on the break through.

That is a good feeling. My driver has always been the one club in my bag that I had no clue where it was going. A few weeks ago, I had that same feeling. I changed my swing just a little with my driver and it went dead straight. Now for about the last month, I've been more consistently straight with the driver than I've ever been. It really helps when you can put it down the middle every time off the tee.

Round two and more of the same. I have my stats saved on the monitor and its crazy looking at my last two driver sessions compared to all the previous ones. Its like two different golfers.

Swing speed average: 91.2 +6 (I reached over 100mph three times today including the highest I have ever recorded-107- and this is with a 45" shaft)
Ball Speed Average: 125.6 +15
Carry average: 196.2 +25! (I again carried 200 several times)
Total average: 204.7 +15 (including shots of 224, 230 and 238- my longest ever recorded on the monitor)

So more carry with a bit less roll, and more distance overall. My spin rates are up quite a bit- but I can deal with that for now if I am gaining in every other area. Real testament to how much more performance you can get out of technique vs. new equipment (not that I will stop buying new equipment anyway!)

oh yeah,.

I love it when a swing comes together, keep it up

Way to go! Keep up the good work!

Update. So its been two months since I suddenly jumped up in yards and swing speed and I am happy to report that it has stayed with me. Swing speed is now averaging 93mph and ball speed is up over 124mph. The result is that 90% of my shots are over 200 yards on the monitor- pretty much the reverse of what was just three months ago. But even better, I am now occasionally pushing 100mph with my swing speed and I can see that there are more gains to be made.

Today I hit one effortless shot that felt good, but didn't seem like it was that fast. However it turned out to be a 112mph swing with 146mph ball speed that travelled 252 yards (246 carry). I wish I had a camera with me to save the details. I don't think I have ever hit one that far without some wind and hill help.

I changed up drivers from the Octane as I was getting too many sky shots with the low profile head, but the Ping seems to be doing an even better job for me- even at 45.5". Anyway I am just super excited about it. At 240-250 I can start teeing off with the big boys! haha.

Best way to gain 17 yards? Proper Technique!

Excellent TS, glad to hear you're building on the already great result!

I had one of those 'eureka' moments at the end of last season with my driver swing, and I understand just how exhilarating a feeling it is to finally make the breakthrough and know what clicked after working so long at something. I was getting down about it, and then finally!

Keep up the hard work!

Thats great. Plenty of people have that moment when it just clicks but you done well to keep it going and long may it continue. I have moments like that then i get excited and loose it haha

Update. So its been two months since I suddenly jumped up in yards and swing speed and I am happy to report that it has stayed with me. Swing speed is now averaging 93mph and ball speed is up over 124mph. The result is that 90% of my shots are over 200 yards on the monitor- pretty much the reverse of what was just three months ago. But even better, I am now occasionally pushing 100mph with my swing speed and I can see that there are more gains to be made.

Today I hit one effortless shot that felt good, but didn't seem like it was that fast. However it turned out to be a 112mph swing with 146mph ball speed that travelled 252 yards (246 carry). I wish I had a camera with me to save the details. I don't think I have ever hit one that far without some wind and hill help.

I changed up drivers from the Octane as I was getting too many sky shots with the low profile head, but the Ping seems to be doing an even better job for me- even at 45.5". Anyway I am just super excited about it. At 240-250 I can start teeing off with the big boys! haha.

Sounds real good TS, just catching up to your post. I'd bet that the inside move has helped tremendously in your SS increase. I think it allows for more torque from your core and you really don't need to swing hard , just finish smooth with no tension. Keep us posted on your progress.

Congrats on the driver and more distance

Good job on the gains! With better contact and depending on your launch angles, that 112mph SS could of put you between 270 and 280! Bet that would put a smile on your face.

Back