Discouraged: should have played -- please read

We all start this game from the bottom and work our way up.
Try not to be intimidated by players that are better than you.
I have always relished playing with better players as it seems to elevate my game and I usually pick up a couple of tips without them even knowing.

I play all the time with a guy at my club who is a 1.2 handicap. He is amazing out there, but always helps me out. I have played quite a few rounds with very good golfers and have yet to find one who was rude or impatient with my lack of skill. Most guys are pretty cool, I wouldnt worry.

I'm glad you went out and enjoyed yourself.

If invited, I think its great to play with better golfers, seeing the course from their eyes can really change your perspective.

Not golf related, but when I used to race mx, there was no better want to improve then ride with better riders. I went from mid pack to winning my class when I started riding with some guys who were way better than me.

I really appreciate everybody taking the time to write such thoughtful replies. Like I said I had a great day today however the thing that's like those is how awesome this form is.

As you can tell from my post count I'm still brand-new it's great to see guys who have been on here for thousands of post take time to reply to such a silly post thanks again and happy holiday

Update: well, I manned up and I played golf with the guys. I played consistent golf. Mostly played bogey golf. Held my own hit a couple great shots left with dignity and had an awesome time and it up shooting a 46 in front 9. Bowed out after nine had a great time!

Go to wash my car and enjoy this Thanksgiving

I am glad you went out and played. Next time it will not be as intimidating. Playing with better players can certainly make you a better player.

I have recently been in your shoes as well. I played for the first time, about a month ago, with three guys. Two of them play on the professional mini-tours and one plays for a Division 1 college. I only knew one of them, but had never played with him. They played from the championship tees, which on my course is intimidating enough. I have since played with these guys on three diferrent occassions and it has done nothing but help me and my game. Keep up the good play...

I really appreciate everybody taking the time to write such thoughtful replies. Like I said I had a great day today however the thing that's like those is how awesome this form is.

As you can tell from my post count I'm still brand-new it's great to see guys who have been on here for thousands of post take time to reply to such a silly post thanks again and happy holiday

Nothing silly about your post man, it's nice to hear your thoughts about the game.

Great thread, we've all been there ourselves.

I love the chance to play with players better than me. Watching what they do and listening to their tips really helps me.

As someone else suggested, try teeing off first if you are playing the same tees.

Glad you decided to play with them.

i usually play better when i play with people that are better than me so i always jump at the chance to push my game up a level to try to compete with them. But i can understand how you feel. it can be discouraging but you can always learn a lot from playing with players that are better than you too. If the opportunity arises again id jump on it.

I agree with alot of what people are saying. You should def. play with those guys. I know what higher handicaps feel out on the course when they get paired with me, especially because I'm young. Alot of people get scared to screw up and slow me down, but in all honesty, it doesn't bother me or any other good players I'm playing with at all. We enjoy helping those learn the game and get better by being with us. We were once like them so why intimidate them?

One of the best quotes I have read about this was when a young pro once played with Jack Nicklaus. For the life of me I can't remember who it was. Point being, the young pro apologized to Jack for playing so poorly, and Jack replied to something to the effect of ," (name), I haven't noticed you playing at all, never mind poorly." I probably butchered this quote but the point remains the same- play the game as you can. Keep up pace and know the rules. If you do that, you can play with me any day any where regardless of handicap.

Back