project X 5.5 shaft vs. s 300

gulfnut

Reaction score
Handicap
I assume that the project x 5.5 would be closer to a regular than a 6.0. I'm looking at some used mizuno mp 30's. Height and distance is definately a factor. I had a set of mp 52's, loved the feel and hit them really straight but could only hit a 5 iron 150 yards with project x 6.0 's. I have a set of wilson deep red 2's and hit the 7 iron 150 no problem. Can't work the ball with them and hit to many left, can't hit a knock down fade with the wilsons, but good height and distance. Any suggestions on which older mizuno's will work for distance ??? Maybe a set of mp 60's or 62's or possibly the 32's ??? I really would like to buy another set of Mizunos. I used to be about a 6 handicap 20 years ago with a set of mp 14's but lost too much ball height and distance with blades. Any suggestions would be appreciated !!!!

Going with distance alone, it sounds like the r300 might work better than the s 300

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Well I bit the bullet tonight and bought a set of Mizuno mp 33's 7 thru pw and mp 30's 4 5 and 6 irons. I intend to put some practice time in and learn to hit them !!! I'm excited, 185 bucks on E bay, even if I can't hit them, they just look totally cool !!!!

Well I bit the bullet tonight and bought a set of Mizuno mp 33's 7 thru pw and mp 30's 4 5 and 6 irons. I intend to put some practice time in and learn to hit them !!! I'm excited, 185 bucks on E bay, even if I can't hit them, they just look totally cool !!!!

Congrats on the purchases man. What shafts do they have in them?

Congrats on the purchases man. What shafts do they have in them?
s 300's Thats what 98% of them seem to be. I looked for a couple of weeks for some regulars shafts and none turned up in the blades.

Spend some time to get to know them and you will love them. I have been hitting MP32s for a couple of years now, bought them used for about $225 (4-PW) so you got a good deal on these.

Spend some time to get to know them and you will love them. I have been hitting MP32s for a couple of years now, bought them used for about $225 (4-PW) so you got a good deal on these.
I played with a set of mp 14's 15 years ago and got down to a solid six handicap but I did put some quality practice time in. When it got cold out I lost quite a bit of distance and height with the 14's. If I remember correctly, the 33's are heavier and get the ball up pretty good and the 30's are more forgiving. Right now I'm a 12 and getting back into golf with some passion and desire to actually practice and work on things instead of just playing rounds. I tried 4 different sets of irons in the last 2 years and played at least 20 rounds with each set. I think I know what I want, can't wait to hit the 33's !!!!

I assume that the project x 5.5 would be closer to a regular than a 6.0.

I think of Project X 6.0 shafts as being "medium stiff" -- stiffer than "regular" but not as stiff as "stiff". I tried them in a set of Nike VR Blades and had to swing a little harder to get the most out of them. I also thought the 6.0's felt a little too light for my taste.

I think of Project X 6.0 shafts as being "medium stiff" -- stiffer than "regular" but not as stiff as "stiff". I tried them in a set of Nike VR Blades and had to swing a little harder to get the most out of them. I also thought the 6.0's felt a little too light for my taste.

Actually based on testing both machine and regular, that is not exactly true. 6.0 is stiffer than most standard stiff and 5.5 is actually closer to the stiff shaft. Measures quite stiff.

Actually based on test ing both machine and regular, that is not exactly true. 6.0 is stiffer than most standard stiff and 5.5 is actually closer to the stiff shaft. Measures quite stiff.
Thats the answer I was looking for. The Mizuno's I just bought have S 300's. I'm going to try them next week. I'm thinking I may have to put a set of regular shafts in them. Right now, the clubs I hit the best are an old set of Wilson Deep Red 2's with regular shafts. I have bought 5 sets of irons in the last 2 years and haven't hit anything better yet. I've had the wilsons for 5 years now. I'm one of those guys that is convinced I can buy more game !!! If I could just hit the right combination !!! Thats 1/2 the fun !

I just got rid of s300's for px 5.5 and am so glad I did it. They arent as stiff as s300's and feel way better in my opinion. They are lighter as well, ball flight seems to be similar. The big difference is price.

I just got rid of s300's for px 5.5 and am so glad I did it. They arent as stiff as s300's and feel way better in my opinion. They are lighter as well, ball flight seems to be similar. The big difference is price.

Ditto. I had some irons with S300s in them for a short time last year, and I just couldn't hit them. Switched to PX 5.5s and they were just right. I would call the 5.5s Regular Plus.

I got the S300s in my RXTs and have been playing them for a few months. I liked them a lot in the shorter irons - very straight ball flight After playing army golf with several sets of lighter shafted irons - but longer irons were a problem. Too many low hooks. I pulled out my old R7TPs with non Flighted PX5.5s for a round and was much more consistent. Just put in Flighted PX 5.5s last week (why not a little more help on those long irons?) and was much happier with the one round I have in so far. Did a lot of online research before making the move and my unscientific conclusion is people tend to get the PXs in a higher stiffness than they need - don't know if it's ego or not understanding the number system.

Anyway, I've always played stiff in my irons and I am very happy with the 5.5s

Back