Taylormade R9 Supertri weights

WeekendWarrior

Reaction score
Handicap
I like the feel of a heavier driver head and am thinking of putting 16 gram weights in all 3 ports of a supertri. What do you think would happen to ball flight?? Has anyone tried this?

I would imagine you'd get a lower flight, my current weight setup is 8,8 in the front and 4 in the back. I really like the mid flight that I get, much more penetrating than before.

You would be moving the CG from the back to the center, it will probably be little bit lower ball flight.

Interesting thanks for the replies. I dont want to lower the flight too much so i will try two 8's in the front and a 16 in the back

thats ALOT of weight. like some already mentioned 8's are really popular. 8-2-8 in the supertri.

i also like 8-8 in the R11

That is still a lot of weight, your normal Supertri has 18grams added with the weights, I would say you don't want to put much more than 2-3 grams more in that. I had played with this a lot when I had the supertri and I found that a little extra weight goes a long way.

Yesterday i ordered two 8 grams for the front two ports and they should be here middle of next week. That will give me a 8, 16, 8 combo. If its too much weight i will have to try a different configuration. I will let you know how it goes

Ok i finally got my weights in and tried the 8, 16, 8 setup on the weekend. Can definately feel the extra weight but does not feel too heavy to me. What i have found is that i have gained around 10 metres off the tee and the only diffence i can see is that i can draw the ball more easily. I cant see any difference in terms of a lower ball flight. One thing i do notice and this might explain the draw is that the shaft feels a little bit whippier. So all in all i recommend it.

Just thought id update everyone on my adventures with this club. I have had the extra weights in now for a while and personally like the heavier feeling. What i have also done is cut an inch off the standard stiff flex shaft that it came with. This change has made a huge difference. I am hitting the ball straighter and over the weekend hit some of the longest drives of my golfing career. I feel as though i can go after the ball and swing harder. I am now starting to think that shortening driver shafts is a wise move, and personally i dont believe any of us weekend amateurs will notice any distance decrease or any problems with swing weight changes because of the shorter shaft. By the way loved watched the presidents cup, good to have it back in Oz and how good were the Fanatics??

Just thought id update everyone on my adventures with this club. I have had the extra weights in now for a while and personally like the heavier feeling. What i have also done is cut an inch off the standard stiff flex shaft that it came with. This change has made a huge difference. I am hitting the ball straighter and over the weekend hit some of the longest drives of my golfing career. I feel as though i can go after the ball and swing harder. I am now starting to think that shortening driver shafts is a wise move, and personally i dont believe any of us weekend amateurs will notice any distance decrease or any problems with swing weight changes because of the shorter shaft. By the way loved watched the presidents cup, good to have it back in Oz and how good were the Fanatics??

Most guys do better with shorter shafts :D.

Glad to hear your accuracy has improved and I know for sure my driver length which is 44 inches is a ton more accurate for me. I can not play the 46 inch driver lengths that are in the stores now.

WW - How did the extra weight affect your trajectory? I would suspect it would be a bit higher since the shaft is bending so much more.

DD i havent noticed any real change in trajectory at all. When i commit to it the flight is still a nice mid trajectory.

I played sunday and actually choked down about a inch or two and had a awesome driving day, I did not notice any difference in trajectory or distance which surprised me. I did not choke down on 2-3 holes and those were the holes I missed the fairway. Has me thinking a little about chopping a inch off.

I played sunday and actually choked down about a inch or two and had a awesome driving day, I did not notice any difference in trajectory or distance which surprised me. I did not choke down on 2-3 holes and those were the holes I missed the fairway. Has me thinking a little about chopping a inch off.

Going from 46 to 45 helped me alot.

I cut my Supertri to 45" and installed heavier weights to maintain the swingweight. Didn't notice a change in trajectory, but the feel was more solid.

I too, have played around with different weighting options, using other weights 8s, 10s, 12s in different combinations and have changed back to the stock setup, I think, 1, 16, 1. Or is it 2, 16, 2. But I think you have hit on the key to playablity with the Supertri.

When I start to miss hit, I just grip down and inch or two and get almost the same distance if not more with better control. My shaft is the TM version of Adila RIP alpha 70 X. Length is stock, grip is midsize GP New Decade. For me, grip down is the simplest solution to get the sweet spot on the ball.

What I noticed when I added too much weight to my driver it made the shaft weaker because the club head was so much heavier than before. Stick with two mid-weights in the front and then like a light one in the back. I noticed you really have to just try everything until you find one that you like.

What I noticed when I added too much weight to my driver it made the shaft weaker because the club head was so much heavier than before. Stick with two mid-weights in the front and then like a light one in the back. I noticed you really have to just try everything until you find one that you like.

As I understand it, added weight causes the shaft to flex more. Maybe requiring more weight in the head is an indicator that the shaft is too stiff for your swing and maybe a shaft with less flex is in order?

For me the total weight, shaft + grip + head seems to be the most important factor. Last week, I had the opportunity to test 4 different shafts with my Supertri and an R11. The combinations of 70+ gram shafts, with the Rip Alpha 70 gram X being best and the 70 gram Mitsubishi Kaili S flex being almost as good and both were better for me than the lighter shafts. The Supertri was hotter for me than the R11 with any of the shafts.

Back