SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

I haven't seen too much written about the 61º. I've never shaken hands with my Vokey 60º (but my 64 I play well). I'm especially interested in short uphill chips to a close pin. What sort of spin can this club create?

I play the 61 but it does not get used a ton. Love it for full shots from 70-85. Typically only use around the greens when a flop is required. These clubs can generate a good amount of spin.

Since my home course has quite a few elevated greens I have had to carry it to the edge with a close pin and had good success. Easily able to carry from 8-10 yards and stop within 5 feet with just a little forward trickle.

I have also done my fair share of flops that only go 6 feet after sliding under way too much so practice of that shot is required.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Guys I am so EXCITED! Just found out I won a Scor4161 in the facebook giveaway, I will def be adding my thoughts once I get it and get some range/course time in. Thanks Scor Golf!

Congrats, just saw that on FB.Enjoy

I play the 61 but it does not get used a ton. Love it for full shots from 70-85. Typically only use around the greens when a flop is required. These clubs can generate a good amount of spin.

Since my home course has quite a few elevated greens I have had to carry it to the edge with a close pin and had good success. Easily able to carry from 8-10 yards and stop within 5 feet with just a little forward trickle.

Thanks. That's what I'm talking about.

I have also done my fair share of flops that only go 6 feet after sliding under way too much so practice of that shot is required.

It sure is :banghead:

I've been pretty happy with my Fourteen 56-08º, but they only make a 60-08º. I don't know if the one degree makes that much difference. I'd love a 62 with a low bounce but am open to a Scor LW after reading Shawn's post. It's a little weird to order a club one has never held and swung.

After sleeping on this, I had a thought. So far with my SCOR wedge, it seems that I really like the V-sole technology, but I don't care so much for the feel of the "Tru-Form Forged" head; essentially a casting/forging hybrid. I wonder if I would have anymore luck with the old Eidolon wedges? As I understand it, they are cast only, which could mean I would like the feel even less. But, with the exception of the V-sole, they are a more traditional shape.

Anyone have some thoughts on this? I will also fire off an email to my contact at SCOR.

edited to add: I'm really not a "forged vs. cast" snob. I played Ping ISI's for years. I will play anything that performs well for me, and I don't care how its manufactured. In the shorter clubs, though, feel can directly effect performance.

Guys I am so EXCITED! Just found out I won a Scor4161 in the facebook giveaway, I will def be adding my thoughts once I get it and get some range/course time in. Thanks Scor Golf!

Congratulations!!

Just put my order in for my wedge, thanks a ton for the info Shawn! I went with the 56* in KBS firm flex +1/4" and 1* upright with +2 wraps, should be perfect!!! Cant begin to tell you how excited I am to try this out after following this thread.

I'll be interested to see how this one games for you keep us posted .

Well, it was a damp morning here in Atlanta, and my foursome bailed on me. I took the opportunity to head over to the Riverpines Par 3 course to have a wedge showdown. SCOR 54* vs. my current 54*. Using Brand new 330-RX balls, I played two balls per hole, one with each club. No club substitutions allowed; I wanted to see how versatile the wedges were by hitting shots that I probably would not ordinarily attempt with a 54*. Although I kept score, I was really only keeping track of how the wedges performed: no sense punishing a wedge just because I can't sink a putt. I alternated which wedge I hit with first, so neither wedge got an unfair advantage from constantly being the "mulligan" club. On the 9th hole, I let the club that was winning have honors.

The results were.....inconclusive. The wedges performed very similarly. As I've already stated, my current wedge performs slightly better on full swing shots. The SCOR 54* performs slightly better on the partial swing shots. I didn't have a launch monitor handy, but there was evidence my current wedge was getting a hair more spin on the ball. The bunkers were just mud pits today, so I stayed out of them - but I already know I prefer the SCOR wedge in the bunker. Chipping favors my current wedge. For the record, my wedge shot -1, and the SCOR was at even par, with each wedge getting 2 birdies.

The V-sole really does work. On bunker shots, I honestly think I can feel that lead bounce preventing my wedge from digging in. I've never really felt the bounce on a wedge working before, and if I don't buy the SCOR wedges I am certainly going to pay more attention to figuring out what bounce works best for me. The V-sole patent expires in 2013, and I suspect we will start seeing some similar technology offered by other companies then.

Although I don't think I would consider the SCOR wedge to be the best wedge I have ever hit, it certainly belongs in the conversation with the top wedges on the market today. If you buy a set of 3, they are $133 per club, which is right in line with the Titleist Vokey's and Cleveland 588's, plus you get a custom length shaft, lie angle adjustment, and cool SCOR grip as part of the price. And if you are at all interested in the possibility of replacing your PW and 9 Iron -- something I find very intriguing -- Then SCOR has you covered. Titleist and Cleveland are currently offering 46* wedges, but no 9 iron replacement.

If you are happy with your current wedge setup, then I personally would not recommend making a switch to SCOR. But, if you are in the market for new wedges, or you just like the idea of changing your short iron set up, then they are worth a good hard look.

Hey guys thought I would give you all an update. About me 30 years old. Have been shooting in the lower 90s lately. Have started a series of lessons which have had some pretty immediate benefits which I am thankful for. Have been playing again for the last 2 years. I can get close to a 100mph swing speed on occasion but probably hover at that 95 range. On occasion I can find that higher gear and hit the ball a little further. Irons wise I play the Adams CB2's. They are a forged GI Iron with stiff KBS shafts. I have to say I really like these clubs. Really Like them. I practice at least once a week and try to play once a week as well.

I bought the Scor the 3 wedge system - 49, 53, and 57. I replaced my Adams Golf GW 50, Vokey 56, and 60. The vokey wedges have stayed with me for the last two years. They were bought without much knowledge and I wanted different lofts for a while because I didn't like the gaps. I never used the 60 much as I bought too low of a bounce and could not hit it well. I really liked the ideas of the Scor's because they were a matched set and soles were similar on all of them. I also felt it allowed for a nice transition through my bag from hybrids through scoring irons. I also liked the fact you could buy any loft you wanted and appreciated the recs and online fitting. I have to say their customer service was great and got me irons 5 days after purchasing. Very cool.

I took these to the range today and practiced quite a bit with them. I started just trying to hit some pitches into a decent sized practice green. I hit several balls with each club and saw great results. With the similar soles I could set up the club in exactly the same way and get similar results. I didn't have any digging and was really pleased on the amount of spin I was getting with QStars and E6's (balls in the bottom of the bag) despite the fact they are a low spin ball. Great feel on these and you could immediately tell if you hit a good shot. Very responsive and confidence inspiring.

Pleased with these results I next hit the sand. I took the 53 and 57 into the trap with me. I am really starting to understand how to use the bounce of the club. I opened the club way up and started hitting good shots. This is where I would have to say I was the most impressed. Every ball getting up and out. All balls stopping on the green as well. There are 2 flags on the green, near and far. Even on the short sided flag I was really giving myself a shot. Absolutely one of my better sand practices. Confidence was boosted way up. I stayed in there a little longer than I planned and just kept hitting shots up and out with ease. I ended leaving the range an hour later than planned.

I then took took the 57* wedge and got behind the bunker and had to pitch over the bunker to the near and far flag. Ball was a little forward in the stance, club slightly open. I hit some nice shots consistenly over the bunker. I had 8 balls with me and on average 6 would be on the green, maybe seven. I then went to the near flag and hit several nice high shots that would leave me in a pretty good position. Huge improvement for me, huge, like amazingly better than normal.

Before I left I took all three clubs and attempted to hit them at a couple of different trajectories which was doable consistently. Had pretty consistent distances.

I also hit some full shots with the 49 which overall were okay. I need some more time on the range with it before I can give an accurate report.

So far, overall, more than satisfied with my purchase. These are quality products from he grip the club head.

Great job Frank. SCORs are really easy to hit out of bad lies and sand. Set it and forget it.

Hope you find what you are looking for Rusty. Wedges can be pretty personal. As a short iron system I'm sold. It's like a subset of irons in the bag for me.

Plan on heading to GG with the SCORs tomorrow to get some monitor numbers. Anyone care to throw in a requested wedge for comparison? Can't hit em all, but I can probably hit 2 other OEM wedges for comparison.

Played a practice round yesterday. I brought a bunch of extra balls to a very quiet course, and attempted to do a little side by side with the SCOR 50* and my Eidolon 50*. It became apparant very quickly that I was going to struggle with the transition back to the Eidolon wedge. The difference in weight was incredible. I'm not great at feeling the club in my swing, but when I swung the Eidolon it was like I had a heavy training club in hand.

My SCOR wedges have the Genius 9 graphite shafts while the Eidolon clubs came with the Genius 12 steel.

It took me a long time to be able to put even a nominally good swing on the Eidolon. The added weight of the club had me hitting fat forever. Like really fat! I'm not saying I don't hit fat shots with the SCOR wedges, only that the results are much better. Yesterday was the first time I had swung the old wedges since I received the SCORs. It was also the first time I could truly appreciate the light weight shafts in the club, and how well they mesh into my iron set which also have graphite shafts.

Frank - Love to see the results!

Took my 54 out on the course yesterday. I was pretty impressed with it overall. Has a real nice feel to. I'm not sure how much of the V-Sole comes in to play, but I only hit about 10-12 shots with it all day. I know my father hit it out of the sand once and on a couple of pitch shots and he really liked it. He enjoyed the graphite shaft in it because it made the club lighter than his wedges. I didn't really hit it out of the sand, but I did use it on some pitches, chips, and full shots. By the end of the round my distance control with it was pretty good. Hoping I can get out again this coming weekend to give it a go again.

Frank - Love to see the results!

Thanks Hawk. I'm in training. Lesson number 2 is today as well.

Tapatalk

After my lesson today I was seeing much better results with my all of my clubs. I wanted to take time and hit some full shots with my 49* since I had a nice swing going. Wow it felt nice. Saw the consistent distance gains with my other irons with this club as well. Just a real joy to hit.

Spin has been touched on some by the others but I have not had anything to say about it, other than I'm not a high spin player. Well, I'm still not a high spin player, but a well struck (at least as well I can strike it) ball stops on a dime with these clubs. In my practice round yesterday, I played the Q-Star, but I also took some swings with the E5 and the B330RX. I expect the RX to stop quickly. For that matter I expect the E5 to come to a halt within a few feet.

The Q-Star, before now, has always had a lot of roll out for me. To the point that I was ready to quit gaming it. Imagine my amazement when shot after shot with the Q stopped within 2-3 feet. It did not matter what club. As long as I put a decent swing on the ball it would hit, bounce forward a couple feet and stop. Even poor shots, typically thinned, stuck more than good shots with prior wedges.

Color me happy. Hopefully I can come to rely on that level of stopping power in "lesser" golf balls.

It was also the first time I could truly appreciate the light weight shafts in the club, and how well they mesh into my iron set which also have graphite shafts.

While the SCOR steel shafts are lighter than my iron shafts they are the same flex. This has really been helping me with consistency.

Spin has been touched on some by the others but I have not had anything to say about it, other than I'm not a high spin player. Well, I'm still not a high spin player, but a well struck (at least as well I can strike it) ball stops on a dime with these clubs. In my practice round yesterday, I played the Q-Star, but I also took some swings with the E5 and the B330RX. I expect the RX to stop quickly. For that matter I expect the E5 to come to a halt within a few feet.

The Q-Star, before now, has always had a lot of roll out for me. To the point that I was ready to quit gaming it. Imagine my amazement when shot after shot with the Q stopped within 2-3 feet. It did not matter what club. As long as I put a decent swing on the ball it would hit, bounce forward a couple feet and stop. Even poor shots, typically thinned, stuck more than good shots with prior wedges.

Color me happy. Hopefully I can come to rely on that level of stopping power in "lesser" golf balls.

The spin I get with the SCORs is controlled. Balls like the E6 and AD333 stick to the green on full shots. I can't back them up on demand, but they have backed up on me in the past. On less than full shots the 2 pc balls do run out more than the B330 RX or Z Star.

Took my 54 out on the course yesterday. I was pretty impressed with it overall. Has a real nice feel to. I'm not sure how much of the V-Sole comes in to play, but I only hit about 10-12 shots with it all day. I know my father hit it out of the sand once and on a couple of pitch shots and he really liked it. He enjoyed the graphite shaft in it because it made the club lighter than his wedges. I didn't really hit it out of the sand, but I did use it on some pitches, chips, and full shots. By the end of the round my distance control with it was pretty good. Hoping I can get out again this coming weekend to give it a go again.

Nice ddec. Hope you can get out with it again to put it through its paces.

I went to GG today hoping to get some numbers on the SCORs. Gentleman that was assisting me said their monitor was messed up said I could try another day. Kinda bummed out.

I did find out one thing. While warming up I was hitting some Maxfli distance balls into the net. Felt like I was missing everything as the tactile feedback was really harsh. One I caught low and it stung my right hand. Mentioned I forgot to bring my own balls for the session and the associate pulled out 2 B330 RX's for me while he was messing with the monitor. What a difference. Much softer. Point is 2 pc distance balls may give a pretty harsh feel with the SCORs. Not the normal rock feeling I get with distance balls, my hands were hurting after 10-15 shots.

10y: Nice to see you join the experience mate. I think you'll really going to enjoy them.

Ddec: Has it started getting wet up there yet? Aside from getting the front edge down for me, I think the biggest benefit to the Vsole is rocking it in hard pan or wet conditions and have it perform the same. The wetter or dryer it gets the more impact I think you'll see.

Rusty: I really appriciate your honesty on the experience so far. For what it's worth I found the same thing in regards to full vs half swings at the start. I was much happier clubbing up, gripping down and taking less of a swing to hit a distance, especially in regards to chipping. As I've become more confortable with them I don't mind a full or less swing with any of them. The kick that I get through the ball on a full swing is still starteling to me but I've grown to like it.

Frank: Nice results there right from the off. It'll be neat to see what you think after a month or so of settling in to them and your lessons. I'd be interested to hear what your instructor thinks of them as well. I saw mine the other day in passing and he didn't seem very convinced of the method behind them. But he's a full on Vokey only guy so I wasn't expecting much until he tries them.

Suppose to pour rain this weekend which means more sloppy par 3 fun while I test various balls against each other for the colder weather season.

Ddec: Has it started getting wet up there yet? Aside from getting the front edge down for me, I think the biggest benefit to the Vsole is rocking it in hard pan or wet conditions and have it perform the same. The wetter or dryer it gets the more impact I think you'll see.

The course I played on Sunday was mix of regular and soggy conditions. I only hit it off of a wet lie once that I can remember and I hit it fat. So not much of a testing process there. Weather looks like it should be in the low 50's Fri-Sat-Sun so hopefully I will get out at least 1 of those days and give it another shot. I'm guessing this will be the last good weekend of weather up here for a while.

I love that people are getting these through contests or purchasing so we can get some other feedback. As far as spin goes, I think these clubs CAN be very spinny. It depends on the type of swing you put on them. there are times where i dont want spin and I want it to roll out and I am able to do that. There are other times where I want the ball to stop on a dime and I have done that. Then there are the times where I wish the ball didnt back up off the green...hahaha

I love that people are getting these through contests or purchasing so we can get some other feedback. As far as spin goes, I think these clubs CAN be very spinny. It depends on the type of swing you put on them. there are times where i dont want spin and I want it to roll out and I am able to do that. There are other times where I want the ball to stop on a dime and I have done that. Then there are the times where I wish the ball didnt back up off the green...hahaha

I saw similar results. I know my old man spun one pretty good out of the sand. We were both impressed with it the other day. The one thing that was a turn off to him, was the price. When I told him that it was 149 a wedge(plus 15 more if he added graphite shaft), that's when he said, "it's nice, but I probably wouldn't spend that. Plus I'd probably want to get 2 and $300 is a big chunk of change for me to spend on 2 clubs."

Loving the updates all. Really, really interested in these again but I'm gonna have to cool off on purchases for a bit. What really just has my attention more than anything is the turf interaction off the multiple surfaces and the consistency.

I saw similar results. I know my old man spun one pretty good out of the sand. We were both impressed with it the other day. The one thing that was a turn off to him, was the price. When I told him that it was 149 a wedge(plus 15 more if he added graphite shaft), that's when he said, "it's nice, but I probably wouldn't spend that. Plus I'd probably want to get 2 and $300 is a big chunk of change for me to spend on 2 clubs."

I could see price being an issue for some people. I have heard that quite a bit. But....to play devils advocate. All I have heard on this forum from QUITE a few people was their excitement for the new 588 wedges. Has anyone taken the time to look at the price of those. or the new Vokeys...I could og on and on....so, I think people complain about price because they havent heard of SCOR. Well, I can assure you that if this was the best wedge for me, I would happily spend the 10-20 dollars per club more. Thought processes are funny to me. If it says Titlesit....over pay. If it says SCOR...no way.

Loving the updates all. Really, really interested in these again but I'm gonna have to cool off on purchases for a bit. What really just has my attention more than anything is the turf interaction off the multiple surfaces and the consistency.

I agree 100%...I love how these interact with all surfaces.

That is very much what I had seen previously md...I'm not a high spin player either, and whether it is just overall more spin, or club design, or whatever, I can see the difference between different types of balls with these wedges better than anything else I've tried. The last two rounds I played were one with the B330RXS and one with the Q-Star, and the B330RXS stopped really well, and the Q-Star rolled out a few feet.

I could see price being an issue for some people. I have heard that quite a bit. But....to play devils advocate. All I have heard on this forum from QUITE a few people was their excitement for the new 588 wedges. Has anyone taken the time to look at the price of those. or the new Vokeys...I could og on and on....so, I think people complain about price because they havent heard of SCOR. Well, I can assure you that if this was the best wedge for me, I would happily spend the 10-20 dollars per club more. Thought processes are funny to me. If it says Titlesit....over pay. If it says SCOR...no way.

I understand the perspective One-T, but I think that is a challenge for any newish or smaller brands, but that is one area where THP members and staff testers do provide (in my opinion) a great service to the companies and the golf community. Amongst our ranks, we've developed a much better understanding that these smaller brands can produce specialized products that may really perform better than the normal players. To some degree, that may be because we are getting more for the same dollars.

I don't have any actual numbers here, so this may be off the wall, but let's compare say a SCOR Wegde at $150 versus a Vokey at $150. If both companies are making the same profit (which the smaller company would probably need to have a higher margin per club due to selling so many fewer), the smaller company is almost certainly spending less on tour endorsements and marketing than the giant. However, the smaller company, in an effort to distinguish themselves, may be spending more per club on materials, R&D, manufacturing quality, and customer service...which are the areas that effect performance much more than who plays what.

I love when, through testing, we are able to demonstrate that there are some awesome smaller companies out there that make equipment that matches and exceeds the biggest brands. I feel to varying degrees that we as a golf community have been able to get thousands of eyes that would never have been exposed to brands such as SCOR Golf, or SeeMore Putters, or Boccieri Golf, and on and on.

Weather got a little warmer here this past weekend so was able to squeeze in a quick round. Wound up in 4 greenside bunkers-all in different conditions. Using my SCOR 58 degree, got up and down all 4 times-and it was all the up. Spin when I needed it, roll it out when I had to-very responsive. These really perform well from all types of sand trap conditions. V-Sole is great.

Back