What ball did you play your last round and what did you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cally HX Diablo again. Played one ball for 9 holes (a first for me). I was getting okay spin around the greens but nothing exceptional. I will probably buy some i(z)'s next time I am in town-- I love the i(s) but want something a little less spinny off the driver.

Not after tonight Kyle...
Can't wait to start reading about the 2012 new releases. Folks who play year round, I crave your reviews.

I hear that but i also got my skates sharpened. How is the hirzl glove

The left one. Didn't last as long as usual.

Played the Srixon q-star because I got a deal on them. NOT bad at all. I wasn't expecting much but it was definitely worth it.

I played the Srixon Trispeed Tour Yellow .... it was 58* and no wind

My jury is still out ... I didn't seem to get the distance off the driver that I'm used to

The ball 'felt' hard to me, didn't seem to compress on the clubface .. maybe I'm not able to swing hard enough for this ball

Didn't see any wild hooks or slices with the ball .... I did try a couple of cut shots which turned to slices, but that wasn't the fault of the ball

Hi Folks

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction with regard picking the right golf ball.

To start off with I’m in Ireland, 36yrs old, had a hip replaced 4 years ago and my mobility is slightly restricted. I am just getting back into the game, which I played a lot when I was in my teens and before the hip injury, so I have only picked up a club in the last couple of month after the hip injury and a 6 year layoff.

I have been told that I have an average swing speed 85-90mph by a simulator. I have no problem getting the ball into the air. I am a fairly straight hitter. The last time I played, was the Kightsbrook in Trim Co. Meath (Junior Solheim Cup 2011 venue) and I hit all but 2 fairways and was only just of the other two. So I am looking for a good distance with good control approaching the greens.

Price range €20-25/dozen

I have being looking at the following

1. Srixon AD333/Softfeel
2. Bridgestone e5 & e6
3. Various Gallaway balls

I am currently playing with Nike Power Distance Soft at the moment, it’s ok but I’m not warming to it.

My head is wracked looking at the selection of balls, with the development of new technology and range of balls to choose from.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
P.S. Sorry for the long winded post, hope the info was relevant.

Last edited:
Played the new 2012 Callaway HEX Black Tour today and WOW! The tour iZ is my main ball so I was really excited about this new ball from Callaway for next year and it did not disappoint! First let me say this ball is durable, I use the Jaws wedges and they chew up balls pretty good but after 9 holes there is only 1 minor cover slash on the HEX Black, hit around 4 full wedge shots with it today. The feel is phenomenal, its not as hard as the iZ but not as soft as the iS, it feels perfect IMO, I am talking compression here, I really felt like I could compress the ball even in this 40* weather. The cover is soft as well, feels just a tad firmer than the iS when rubbing it with the fingernail.

Off the putter this ball is a dream, it is the best feeling ball I have felt to date off the putter. It has a nice solid feel with a slight click, no where close to as clicky as the iZ. I hit some awesome iron shots with it today so I got a good feel for this ball already, stuck a 9iron from 145 to 3 feet and a 7 iron into the wind from 150 to around 6 feet and both shots hit the green took one hop and checked up and then released about 6 inches. I sticking it dead with the wedges, it would either hit and just completely stop or take a bounce and spin back about 4 or 5 inches, nothing to serious which I like, I dont think I will be sucking them off the green which is a good thing.

It is also long off the tee, my driver game was crap today and I only hit 1 fairway but even my misses were longer than normal. This ball was about 5 yards longer on average than the iZ for me today, I had one drive where I was just playing a draw but it didnt draw and went straight right and this one ended up almost 15 yards longer than where I normally am on that hole when I miss right. I am guessing some of that is due to the ground being kinda hard from how cold its been lately so I cant wait to test this out once it warms up next year.

IMO this ball is the iS and iZ combined, its like they took the best of those 2 balls and combined them. I believe this is a 5 piece ball as well, watch out Penta!!! One other thing before I forget is the trajectory with the driver was slightly lower and with the irons it was nice and high which I really liked. I was playing in 20-25mph winds today and this ball did great, held its line very very well with cross winds and seemed to penetrate the head winds like a champ. Overall if I continue to see the results I saw today this will be my ball for 2012.

Very nice write up 10yarddraw!! Sounds like I need to give these a go eventually against the TP and 330.

Tappin' from the iPhone!

Very nice write up 10yarddraw!! Sounds like I need to give these a go eventually against the TP and 330.

Tappin' from the iPhone!

Thanks Cooky, ya def give it a go and see, ya never know until you try. Im loving it so far, I have not been this excited about a golf ball ever. The new HEX Chrome I want to try too, B330RX competitor ive heard.

10: I'm glad someone else is getting to experience the awesomeness that is the Black. I'm fairly sure it'll be my standard ball of choice as soon as they get generally released here.

10: I'm glad someone else is getting to experience the awesomeness that is the Black. I'm fairly sure it'll be my standard ball of choice as soon as they get generally released here.

Ya ST its awesome dude, fantastic ball! I have enough to last me until they come out next year so im glad about that haha. Would you agree it seems like they have taken the iS and iZ into one ball? Less spin off the tee and more into the greens is what I saw today. It also seems like it has a fairly low compression, really excited to see some compression ratings on it.

Hi Folks

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction with regard picking the right golf ball.

To start off with I’m in Ireland, 36yrs old, had a hip replaced 4 years ago and my mobility is slightly restricted. I am just getting back into the game, which I played a lot when I was in my teens and before the hip injury, so I have only picked up a club in the last couple of month after the hip injury and a 6 year layoff.

I have been told that I have an average swing speed 85-90mph by a simulator. I have no problem getting the ball into the air. I am a fairly straight hitter. The last time I played, was the Kightsbrook in Trim Co. Meath (Junior Solheim Cup 2011 venue) and I hit all but 2 fairways and was only just of the other two. So I am looking for a good distance with good control approaching the greens.

Price range €20-25/dozen

I have being looking at the following

1. Srixon AD333/Softfeel
2. Bridgestone e5 & e6
3. Various Gallaway balls

I am currently playing with Nike Power Distance Soft at the moment, it’s ok but I’m not warming to it.

My head is wracked looking at the selection of balls, with the development of new technology and range of balls to choose from.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
P.S. Sorry for the long winded post, hope the info was relevant.

Drog dont forget about the Srixon Q-Star, it is a fantastic ball for the price. Out of the balls you listed I would go with the E5 or E6. Also another decent cheaper ball is the Callaway Diablo Tour, think thats the name lol.

Callaway Diablo. I liked it OK. Would like to see how it is in warmer temps.

I switched to the Bridgestone B330-S today from the Penta. I really like this ball. After participating in a ball fitting on the range last weekend, I decided to put the recommendations into play. I believe I have found a new ball :)

Hi Folks

To start off with I

Played the new 2012 Callaway HEX Black Tour today and WOW! The tour iZ is my main ball so I was really excited about this new ball from Callaway for next year and it did not disappoint! First let me say this ball is durable, I use the Jaws wedges and they chew up balls pretty good but after 9 holes there is only 1 minor cover slash on the HEX Black, hit around 4 full wedge shots with it today. The feel is phenomenal, its not as hard as the iZ but not as soft as the iS, it feels perfect IMO, I am talking compression here, I really felt like I could compress the ball even in this 40* weather. The cover is soft as well, feels just a tad firmer than the iS when rubbing it with the fingernail.

Off the putter this ball is a dream, it is the best feeling ball I have felt to date off the putter. It has a nice solid feel with a slight click, no where close to as clicky as the iZ. I hit some awesome iron shots with it today so I got a good feel for this ball already, stuck a 9iron from 145 to 3 feet and a 7 iron into the wind from 150 to around 6 feet and both shots hit the green took one hop and checked up and then released about 6 inches. I sticking it dead with the wedges, it would either hit and just completely stop or take a bounce and spin back about 4 or 5 inches, nothing to serious which I like, I dont think I will be sucking them off the green which is a good thing.

It is also long off the tee, my driver game was crap today and I only hit 1 fairway but even my misses were longer than normal. This ball was about 5 yards longer on average than the iZ for me today, I had one drive where I was just playing a draw but it didnt draw and went straight right and this one ended up almost 15 yards longer than where I normally am on that hole when I miss right. I am guessing some of that is due to the ground being kinda hard from how cold its been lately so I cant wait to test this out once it warms up next year.

IMO this ball is the iS and iZ combined, its like they took the best of those 2 balls and combined them. I believe this is a 5 piece ball as well, watch out Penta!!! One other thing before I forget is the trajectory with the driver was slightly lower and with the irons it was nice and high which I really liked. I was playing in 20-25mph winds today and this ball did great, held its line very very well with cross winds and seemed to penetrate the head winds like a champ. Overall if I continue to see the results I saw today this will be my ball for 2012.

Nice write up! As an I(Z) guy myself I'm excited about a better ball (seems impossible).

You confident with what you saw in regards to ball flight and distance on such a windy day?

Keep the feedback coming, please.

I played my last round with the Bridgestone B330S (current version). It's a ball I used to play, and really like, when it was the 3-piece version. So, I bought a dozen of the newest B330S 4-piece earlier this season, but did not put them into play until recently. This ball does everything I want - excellent, controllable distance off all clubs, good spin (but not too much) around the green, and nice feel off the putter. It's a tough call between this and the Z-Star, and I expect to play both.

Nice write up! As an I(Z) guy myself I'm excited about a better ball (seems impossible).

You confident with what you saw in regards to ball flight and distance on such a windy day?

Keep the feedback coming, please.

Sure am, there are a couple holes where the wind was straight side ways so I was still seeing the distance but just crooked lol, also this ball into the wind was close to being as long as the iZ with no wind. Like I said I will need to see once it warms up a little and no wind, hopefully have at least one more day in the 60's before winter fully sets in if not it wont be until next year. It is by far the best feeling ball I have played to date, not soft but not firm just perfect IMO. I would love to see the compression rating for it as I think its lower than the iZ is, felt like I was really compressing it even in the cool temps. With some side wind shots with my irons I was probably 10 yards long on a couple of them, usually doesnt happen with side winds.

Played a Bridgestone XFixx and its actually not a bad ball. I dont get a ton of spin with it but its got a nice, soft feel of the wedges and putter. IMO, its not as good as the Q-Star but for the price its not bad.
It remind me a lot of the old Precept Laddie-X, which wasnt a bad ball either.

Thanks for the nice words on my review guys. I did forget talk about the on green performance of the Foxx. Felt fairly solid off the putter, very comparable again to the 330-S.

If its not raining here on Monday, I do plan on trying to get out again. It's supposed to be about 10 to 15 degrees warmer so I'll try and post up another round of thoughts on the ball in a little warmer weather.

final round of the year, finished up the last of my pentas i bought back in may, loved them as well as the e6

Continued to Play my Penta TPs for my Myrtle Beach trip. 3 dozen for 80 bucks just can't be beat right now. The ball continues to perform really well for me. The ONLY downside for me is a little too much spin off the tee. Greenside they continue to lead the pack.

Played the 20xi (x) for 18 yesterday and 9 today. It's quite a good ball, a tad short off the tee for me vs my normal RX. Around the greens though its a gem, really saved me a few times. Im not sure what the compression is so that may be why its a little shorter for me. Played the same ball for 15 holes yesterday and that same ball for 9 more holes today. I know some have reported back about the s version cover not lasting to long, I had zero issues with the x.

Finished off todays round with a pink RX :heart:

--
tapatalk

Played the 20xi (x) for 18 yesterday and 9 today. It's quite a good ball, a tad short off the tee for me vs my normal RX. Around the greens though its a gem, really saved me a few times. Im not sure what the compression is so that may be why its a little shorter for me. Played the same ball for 15 holes yesterday and that same ball for 9 more holes today. I know some have reported back about the s version cover not lasting to long, I had zero issues with the x.

Finished off todays round with a pink RX :heart:

--
tapatalk

Wow SW I am very surpised to hear that, I couldnt even get 6 holes out of the S and I know JB had the same problem with both the S and X. I might grab a sleeve of the X to try out now.

Wow SW I am very surpised to hear that, I couldnt even get 6 holes out of the S and I know JB had the same problem with both the S and X. I might grab a sleeve of the X to try out now.

I was surprised as well. Granted I don't put a tremendous amount of spin on the ball, but even the one I used today and yesterday only has one mark on it and that's from a bunker shot. I would be fine with playing it some more, but wanted to switch out to the RX for the driver testing thread.

--
tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back