Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

For those that are curious, here is my last set of data with my SuperTri driver on the same monitor:

Total: 214
Carry: 208
CS: 97
BS: 129
B/Spin: 4275
V Launch: 16.45
Height: 39 yards
Offline: 18 yards

That's a great looking FW! Thanks for the pics/vid Hawk. I'm really looking forward to your review. Those numbers are fantastic man. 100mph with a 5w is really swinging it. If you are hitting this as far as your current driver, that says a lot for the technology CG put in these clubs. Keep up the great work! You now have me very antsy to hit all of the new CG Black woods.

For those that are curious, here is my last set of data with my SuperTri driver on the same monitor:

Total: 214
Carry: 208
BS: 129
B/Spin: 4275
V Launch: 16.45
Height: 39 yards
Offline: 18 yards

Im right with you on being able to out drive my SuperTri with a FW.

Thanks for the numbers Hawk. That sounds like a great wood for you. I want to try this now if you said a PGA Pro (outside of target audience) hit it well.

Looks like your getting some great numbers out of this club, interested in how the driver will work out for you now as well!!!

Great stuff Hawk, I would love to see what you do with the CG Black driver. Its amazing your hitting a 5wood farther than your driver but that spin with your driver is insane lol.

My fairway wood is on the chopping block and I was planning to make a decision at the 2012 THP demo day but now I'm not sure I can wait.

Hawk those numbers are incredible! I hit the 3w version last week and it is a rocket launcher as well. Enjoy the club

Hawk, you need to hit the CG Black Driver. I think you could do some serious damage.

I was sort of skeptical before tonight, tbh. I don't know why since I fit right in the target group for this club. I can't wait to get it on the course again. I learned some things about it tonight. Namely, 1) I can go after it and 2) tee it higher.

Great job Hawk! Those are some great numbers...I need to demo these things ASAP, wonder if they will have Demo clubs available at Golf Galaxy when they come out tomorrow??

Wow Hawk!! I might need to ponder this club with those numbers. Great raw data man!

First off, I thought I'd get a video of the sound in a more controlled environment. I noticed one thing above all and that this club sounds powerful and really solid when you hit it clean. Gotta say that I love it. I love the FL too, but this is special in it's own way.

Secondly, I have some numbers to share. This was after a few warm up shots. I learned today that I need to tee this just a bit higher due the slightly taller face. All of these shots were off the tee. This was omitting two big mis-hits, but I'll add them in below so you can see if you'd like. The point of this is to show what this club is capable of with a good swing. The two I omitted in this bunch were a topper and a giant slice.

Total: 226.86
Carry: 216.57
Club Speed: 97 - one swing of 91mph and the rest were 96-100mph
Ball Speed: 133.29
Backspin: 3,856.86
Side Spin: Right 110rpm and Left 262rpm
Vert Launch: 11.66 - two lower ones, with the highest being 16.7
Max Height: 32.71 yards
Offline: 5 shots averaging 9.8 yds to the right of center and 2 shots averaging 15.5 yard to the left of center

Those numbers may not seem spectacular to you, but they are longer than I hit my driver. I saw swings right at 100mph twice. This is with a 5 wood. As validation, I grabbed my driver and the longest carry I had was 220 yards, with over 4k backspin. Obviously, I have driver fitting issues, but this was just amazing to me.

I really felt like I could go after it with the club and felt like the shaft really reacted well. I let the owner of the facility - a PGA professional - hit it and he was mashing it as well. He was really impressed and isn't really the target audience for it.

As promised, here were my two giant misses. One actually would have been ok if I didn't have any forced carries haha:

Spoiler
Low Pull Draw:
Total: 211
Carry: 188
CS: 93
BS: 132
S/Spin: 455l
V Launch: 2.8
Max Height: 11 yards
Offline: 28L

High Slicer:
Total: 180
Carry: 179
BS: 126
Sidespin: 3110r
V Launch: 16.7
Max Height: 41 yards
Offline: 43r

Wow Hawk! This is amazing. Looks like you are replacing your driver with a 5 wood for now? I've got to try these out soon!

Hawk - just saw your Supertri numbers. Shocked how much lower the launch is with the 5w vs the driver. I know your time is dwindling but hope you are able to get this outside and see if you see the real course numbers matching as well.

Thanks again man - great solid info provided.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Honestly, I don't know if I can match them outside right now just bc of the cooler temps and the wind, but I definitely have no reason to hit my driver at the moment.

Sent via Tapatalk

Hawk - just saw your Supertri numbers. Shocked how much lower the launch is with the 5w vs the driver. I know your time is dwindling but hope you are able to get this outside and see if you see the real course numbers matching as well.

Thanks again man - great solid info provided.

Tappin' from my iPad!

One thing I do want to note is that I had two shots in the 7-8° range that brought that average down a bit. I was normally above that number. Still, I launch that driver sky high. High spin/launch head with a high launch shaft.

This sounds like a missile launcher off the tee. Pardon my skimming skills but have you had any time to see how it works off the deck? I am curious about the trajectory and how well it works for fairway shots.

This sounds like a missile launcher off the tee. Pardon my skimming skills but have you had any time to see how it works off the deck? I am curious about the trajectory and how well it works for fairway shots.

Gray, I think I hit if off the deck once on Sunday and it wasn't a very good result. I think I fatted it, but I was trying a ridiculous shot that I had no business attempting haha. I'll hit some deck shots for sure this weekend.

Hawk, do you know what your numbers are with the FL 17° ?

Hawk, do you know what your numbers are with the FL 17° ?

I don't have a summary with it like I did with this, but after last night it is on the list of things to do. I think part of my shock was because I hadn't taken the time to measure the FL and didn't realize the performance I was getting compared to my driver. I've known for awhile that the FL was close or farther.

I will say that I think I like the 39S better than the 43R after last night. Something about it just really felt good to me.

With those kinds of numbers out of the FW I bet you are dying to get your hands on the driver.

Yes I am. I'm also leaving my driver at home next time I play.

I am not a fairway wood type person but I would love to try a 4 - wood in the Black !

Hawk those are some good numbers from that 5 wood. Maybe you should just take the driver out of your bag and hit this off the tee. I love the sound from that video. Sounds like you were hitting it well last night.

I am not a fairway wood type person but I would love to try a 4 - wood in the Black !

I'd consider bagging it even if I just hit it off the tee. Many times I think the fairway wood off the turf is a dumb shot for many amateurs anyway.

Back