Daly and girlfriend wear out their welcome down under...

Anyone else find it funny that his ranking is 666th?

Just saw the entire fiasco on The Golf Channel, it looked like the girlfriend was much more emotional about the entire thing than was JD. I back the stance all Aussies have taken, it was totally low class.

Instead of being a total fool, why didn't he just hit a shorter club to a safe spot and get himself over the water from elsewhere? JD has an ego the size of his old gut, but he's just not good anymore.

When I hear about something like this it just makes me think "meh" who cares about him. It's been a sad slow spiral for JD, and I would rather hear interesting stories of people like Jason Day, Bubba Watson, or Erik Compton. Fun stories ... not sad stories. Daly makes me sad.

While I agree to an extent with all of that, in the end two things heal all wounds and nobody seems to be exempt from it.
Time
Winning
Both of these things make all fans and more importantly casual fans immune to bad deeds, bad eggs and personal attacks both on and off the course. There are countless times we can look at players in golf and other areas that are horrible both on and off the course and over time and with some good PR as well as good luck at their sport fans do come around. While every country is different, and every fan is different, I dont think anybody should be fooled that if Daly came out and won the Open Championship next year out of the blue, that fans would not come out in droves to see him play again. Just to "see what happens".

JB these are very valid points, but what the organisers of the event and other are most upset about is they went out on a limb to get him here and made some compromises along the way. To have him take the place of 1 of dozens of young Aussie pro's who are shooting the lights out to try and make it, is really a hard pill for them to swallow. The Australian golf circuit is nothing like what you guys have, it is a real struggle for our local pros. The 3rd or 4th tier feeder levels for the US PGA tour would be much bigger than anything we have here. The promotion of the game is what is most important and having the Presidents Cup is an enormous thing for our game and this type of publicity is incredibly damaging. Had he just come here, played and partied hard and had a good time it could of been money well spent.

JB these are very valid points, but what the organisers of the event and other are most upset about is they went out on a limb to get him here and made some compromises along the way. To have him take the place of 1 of dozens of young Aussie pro's who are shooting the lights out to try and make it, is really a hard pill for them to swallow. The Australian golf circuit is nothing like what you guys have, it is a real struggle for our local pros. The 3rd or 4th tier feeder levels for the US PGA tour would be much bigger than anything we have here. The promotion of the game is what is most important and having the Presidents Cup is an enormous thing for our game and this type of publicity is incredibly damaging. Had he just come here, played and partied hard and had a good time it could of been money well spent.

Those are two different things though. "Had he come here, played and partied hard and had a good time", means he still would have taken a spot from one of the younger guys. While you are correct in all facets, to a degree, the quoted part shows that the idea of the younger guys trying hard to "make it" means less across the board to the organizers than most want to recognize. When it all comes down to it, we as fans never want to admit, the almighty dollar is what drives all of it, and the young guy struggling to make it, brings in a fraction of what John Daly brings in even when its a train wreck.

I always liked John. His previous antics I didn't think much of, just "John being John", but enough is enough. Like Hooters, his time has come and gone.

I concur.

I was really hoping that he was going to do better.

Those are two different things though. "Had he come here, played and partied hard and had a good time", means he still would have taken a spot from one of the younger guys. While you are correct in all facets, to a degree, the quoted part shows that the idea of the younger guys trying hard to "make it" means less across the board to the organizers than most want to recognize. When it all comes down to it, we as fans never want to admit, the almighty dollar is what drives all of it, and the young guy struggling to make it, brings in a fraction of what John Daly brings in even when its a train wreck.

Granted JB, if there was no Presidents Cup he certainly would improve crowd attendance, but we have the best players in world here atm pulling in the crowds and in that context that is where the organisers of the event are so disappointed. It has had a negative impact on the promotion of the game.

Looks to me like he hit his last few balls into the drink on purpose; they weren't even close. That's the same as quitting and storming off.

FWIW, he tweeted that the photographer accidentally hit his skank gf in the head with his lens while he was trying to take Daly's pic, and that's why she reacted that way.

I used to love daly. I quit rooting for him 6-7 years ago. Now I wish he would go away.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Absolute clown. Wow.

I've never really liked the guy but more and more I dislike him even more. It's sad to me he keeps milking the exemptions. I would think he would work more on getting better so he could play more consistently. Now, I don't know if he's actually trying to get better or not, but it sure doesn't seem like he's putting enough work to me the way he's played. I think it's far past time he should have to earn being able to play events again.

A-Grade Douchebag. One hit (major) wonder.

The Australian PGA has withdrawn their offer for him to play in our PGA C'ship too. Good move. He has been in the news for the wrong reasons almost every time he has played in Oz in the last few years.

Good riddance.

Granted JB, if there was no Presidents Cup he certainly would improve crowd attendance, but we have the best players in world here atm pulling in the crowds and in that context that is where the organisers of the event are so disappointed. It has had a negative impact on the promotion of the game.

I dont disagree, however you just said this "Had he just come here, played and partied hard and had a good time it could of been money well spent." And then said in the next sentence that he was stealing a spot from the younger guys and that the promotion of the game is the bigger key. Unfortunately those are two very different things, because in the end, had he not acted a fool, nobody would have cared for a second that a "younger guy" did not get the opportunity to play and that the promotion of the game was getting overshadowed. In the end, I really do stand behind my original thoughts and say no matter how bad he acted and how upset the people are, if he were to win in the next 12 months, the organizers would take him back with open arms and some fans would be ready to forgive. We have seen his type of antics before and whether or not you are winning, plays a huge role in whether or not its tolerated.

A-Grade Douchebag. One hit (major) wonder.

The Australian PGA has withdrawn their offer for him to play in our PGA C'ship too. Good move. He has been in the news for the wrong reasons almost every time he has played in Oz in the last few years.

Good riddance.

Well really 2 hit wonder because he does have 2 majors as well as multiple other wins.

I want to reiterate here that I am not sticking up for Daly. Most on here know my feelings for the guy and that I think he is in the wrong completely.

I want to reiterate here that I am not sticking up for Daly. Most on here know my feelings for the guy and that I think he is in the wrong completely.

Secret Daly lovers are worse than the real fans! :wink:

Can't say I'm surprised by his antics. Some guys would take their gazillionth chance as a spur to maybe buckle down and work for the future. Not this one.

Secret Daly lovers are worse than the real fans! :wink:

Can't say I'm surprised by his antics. Some guys would take their gazillionth chance as a spur to maybe buckle down and work for the future. Not this one.

Agreed. You would think after his antics in just the last year things would change, but the clown just does not think he is doing anything wrong. Its like seeing an infant sometimes. The last 12 months has so many things that leave you shaking your head. However dont be fooled, I am no fan, I despise the guy actually, just have realized how quickly in the world of sports winning makes everything else go away.

Agreed. You would think after his antics in just the last year things would change, but the clown just does not think he is doing anything wrong. Its like seeing an infant sometimes. The last 12 months has so many things that leave you shaking your head. However dont be fooled, I am no fan, I despise the guy actually, just have realized how quickly in the world of sports winning makes everything else go away.

Don't worry, I know - it's difficult to impose an objective opinion on this (and possibly another) subject when it seems that 99.9% of people are either 'lovers' or 'haters'.

I'd draw people's attention to the example of Darren Clarke, Open Champion. This guy got abuse for admitting that he likes a drink or ten, (which probably only happened as a result of him winning actually!) but does it ever spill over on to the course or adversely affect his public demeanour? There's being a 'big kid' and bad boy, then there's being a waste of valuable real estate. Enter JD.

Don't worry, I know - it's difficult to impose an objective opinion on this (and possibly another) subject when it seems that 99.9% of people are either 'lovers' or 'haters'.

I'd draw people's attention to the example of Darren Clarke, Open Champion. This guy got abuse for admitting that he likes a drink or ten, (which probably only happened as a result of him winning actually!) but does it ever spill over on to the course or adversely affect his public demeanour? There's being a 'big kid' and bad boy, then there's being a waste of valuable real estate. Enter JD.

Good analogy. DC got it big time before we all looked at him as more of a sympathetic figure over the last few years (deserving). While never in the "air" of a Daly in "clownhood", it is interesting seeing what the DC win did.

well well well ..... I find it very interesting all be told

it's like I can see two sides of the guys life story, there's the Good, The Bad and The ugly ..... we all have some of that in our lives I guess

Good analogy. DC got it big time before we all looked at him as more of a sympathetic figure over the last few years (deserving). While never in the "air" of a Daly in "clownhood", it is interesting seeing what the DC win did.

Agreed, he's not quite in the same dead-end league as Daly - and actually, he's more like just a typical Irishman than anything!

well well well ..... I find it very interesting all be told

it's like I can see two sides of the guys life story, there's the Good, The Bad and The ugly ..... we all have some of that in our lives I guess

Yeah, we all have our moments, and there's been times every week when I've felt like just throwing a tantrum and walking out of my job....but I wouldn't get invited back like he does.

I dont disagree, however you just said this "Had he just come here, played and partied hard and had a good time it could of been money well spent." And then said in the next sentence that he was stealing a spot from the younger guys and that the promotion of the game is the bigger key. Unfortunately those are two very different things, because in the end, had he not acted a fool, nobody would have cared for a second that a "younger guy" did not get the opportunity to play and that the promotion of the game was getting overshadowed. In the end, I really do stand behind my original thoughts and say no matter how bad he acted and how upset the people are, if he were to win in the next 12 months, the organizers would take him back with open arms and some fans would be ready to forgive. We have seen his type of antics before and whether or not you are winning, plays a huge role in whether or not its tolerated.

so true .... watch Tigers fan base expand IF/WHEN he starts winning again .... I won't be one of them, I've never been a Tiger fan, but that's a different thread

but that's a different thread

which is about 50 pages long and starts fresh every other month, keep your eyes peeled!

Back