TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Well I just got back from hitting 3 large buckets with the R11's and all I can say is I can not wait to get a appointment with my guy, throwing clubs never cross my mind but it did about 4 times today, I just wanted to throw every single one of these down range and leave them for the next guy. No matter what I did every single shot was way off the toe, even throw in some thin shots. It was all I could do not to do something dumb with these and regret it later on. At this point I dont even want to hit them until I can get them checked and I dont plan on it, first time in a long time golf was not fun for me.

Buckster the only thing I took from your post was you are not content with your scoring and you want more. I love this attitude in a golfer. The R11s have taken one aspect of your game out of the equation, iron play. Now you know what to work on to get even better, that is scary that a club can do so much to improve ones game mentally and physically.
People spend thousands to get to this point in their game. The R11s have given you some con-foe-dense! Glad to see it bro!

10yd stop hitting those clubs til they get adusted. Your just driving yourself mad....once they hey adjusted you'll see what we are all do fond of

yeah they really are. im still amazed by my shots its kinda funny to me cause ive always been so inconsistent with my irons. But these are so much more accurate and predictable than my other sets and i love going for flags now.

Very nice review. I was just starting to yell at the video, "FIX YOUR BALL MAR... Oh you did afterwards." That part made my day haha

Well I just got back from hitting 3 large buckets with the R11's and all I can say is I can not wait to get a appointment with my guy, throwing clubs never cross my mind but it did about 4 times today, I just wanted to throw every single one of these down range and leave them for the next guy. No matter what I did every single shot was way off the toe, even throw in some thin shots. It was all I could do not to do something dumb with these and regret it later on. At this point I dont even want to hit them until I can get them checked and I dont plan on it, first time in a long time golf was not fun for me.

Sorry to hear man. I have absolutely felt this way and some times it helps me to just take a few days off. As much as you want to just get out there and try to figure it out, I find that the swing and ball striking etc. come back with a little break. I hope that the appointment helps!

Man that was a great update Bucky with some really good shots on video too. Hitting the R11's well I see.

Sorry to hear man. I have absolutely felt this way and some times it helps me to just take a few days off. As much as you want to just get out there and try to figure it out, I find that the swing and ball striking etc. come back with a little break. I hope that the appointment helps!

Exactly what I am doing, I am not touching them until I get the lies fixed/checked

Exactly what I am doing, I am not touching them until I get the lies fixed/checked

Sorry to hear whats going on 10yd. My last set of irons was 3* too upright for me, and while I didn't see any of the things you are I know how frustrating it was. Hopefully getting the lie angles fixed will help you out a little.

Sorry to hear whats going on 10yd. My last set of irons was 3* too upright for me, and while I didn't see any of the things you are I know how frustrating it was. Hopefully getting the lie angles fixed will help you out a little.

Thanks CB, it is def frustrating hitting everything else great then the irons just as bad as I have in years! Only thing I can think of is TM jacked the specs up, only thing that makes sense to me. It happens no company can get everything perfect I am just ready to have them corrected

hope you get them sorted soon 10yards and have you back out enjoying your irons,and buckjob nice video enjoyed watching it,p.s it look cold were you are at mate

hope you get them sorted soon 10yards and have you back out enjoying your irons,and buckjob nice video enjoyed watching it,p.s it look cold were you are at mate

It was actually really nice out don't let the snow fool you.

i know its been awhile since ive posted - but i have squeezed in several rounds with my R11 irons, and i still cannot believe how much i love them.
They work for me better than any i hit the last few years, and being a new guy to golf, relatively speaking, i think they are a perfect pair.

I get great distances out of them, but the feel is still mesmerizing. They feel better than any iron ive hit and i have complete faith in the swing with them. confidence at address and faith in the flight gives me the best chance at a good result.

they really knocked these out of the park, im still amazed every time i hit one square.

i know its been awhile since ive posted - but i have squeezed in several rounds with my R11 irons, and i still cannot believe how much i love them.
They work for me better than any i hit the last few years, and being a new guy to golf, relatively speaking, i think they are a perfect pair.

I get great distances out of them, but the feel is still mesmerizing. They feel better than any iron ive hit and i have complete faith in the swing with them. confidence at address and faith in the flight gives me the best chance at a good result.

they really knocked these out of the park, im still amazed every time i hit one square.

Matt do you hit them higher than you did your Machspeeds?
Good to see they are still working for you. Still hitting the 4 iron too or have you gone back to a hybrid?

Matt do you hit them higher than you did your Machspeeds?
Good to see they are still working for you. Still hitting the 4 iron too or have you gone back to a hybrid?

Yea they are higher than the machspeeds, but that is shaft.

Golftec put me into DG S300 in the nikes... Which are pretty low launching, were not a good fit for me.

The KBS 90 shafts are a dream. Everything i could ask for, lighter weight makes em easier to swing for me.

Good flex points, they load up nicely for my tempo

Yea i love the 4 iron! My swing doesnt work well with hybrids, i thought it was swingflaws i could fix, but i hit irons so much better i dont want to change anything.

Maybe ill work on it this off season- prolly counting down my days golfing. Its getting chilly up here, snows around corner.

Yea they are higher than the machspeeds, but that is shaft.

Golftec put me into DG S300 in the nikes... Which are pretty low launching, were not a good fit for me.

The KBS 90 shafts are a dream. Everything i could ask for, lighter weight makes em easier to swing for me.

Good flex points, they load up nicely for my tempo

Yea i love the 4 iron! My swing doesnt work well with hybrids, i thought it was swingflaws i could fix, but i hit irons so much better i dont want to change anything.

Maybe ill work on it this off season- prolly counting down my days golfing. Its getting chilly up here, snows around corner.

Good stuff man. Don't say the S-word, we still have time haha

Great news guys, getting in with my guy tomorrow afternoon and I cant wait to see whats going on. I will let you know what needed to be done, getting on the lie board has never been so exciting lol.

November 2, 2011
R11 Testing
Northshore Golf Club
Temp. 82* 10-15mph NE breeze

I headed to the range today to work on an add on to my swing. I was really concentrating on keeping the lower body very still and really coiling against it on my back swing. I was trying this is an attempt to create more club head speed through the slot. So as a result Not all of the balls I hit went where I aimed. They were in the general area but right and long of my target. The balls that hit correctly were just long and over my target.
The R11s have the technology that produces a nice high piercing ball flight with any help from the swinger of the club. This move I was working on not only produced a much more connected swing but it also gave me a new level to the high ball meter. The balls were taken off and mocking the right to left wind as they sailed past my intended target.
Since I was working on some changes I would say that i only hit 50% of the balls the way I wanted. But the rest were not in bad shape. The target greens was only about 20' wide and all of misses were long and right of my target. My feeling is that is I was in the course i would have still had putts or a GIR. The R11s are so FORGIVING, it's not even a fair fight. I mean you have to absolutely put a horrible move on the ball to produce an ugly shots. I still marvel at how easy they are to hit and how much I enjoy the shots that come off the face of these clubs.
I put the AW head to head with my 52* and the AW won hands down. It won for the ball flight it produced. It won for the distance and it won for the ease in which I can hit it. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the shots I hit with my 52* and it will not leave my bag it will be used in specifc settings. The AW is just so easy to hit and just produces quality shot after quality shots. I really was in a good groove while working with this club. The ball flight was a good bit higher than my 52* and my swing was only 3/4 in order to make it a fair fight. Having a weapon like this in my bag will aid in producing lower scores or at least mor GIR.
I also put some swings on the 3 iron and for the most part I was pleased with the results when the swing was in a good place. I was getting out in front on few shots so it hit some weak fades. But when I staying behind it I got a mid flight bullet that hit the ground running. Off the tee this club will be a fairway finder.
I didn't go through the hole bag but the clubs I hit performed the way I expected. This new move will take some time but I know the clubs will be there once I have it grooved.

nice write up Tad.... my 52* wasn't as lucky as yours. took it out of my bag. like i said in my last write up i was so impressed by my mishits it was crazy how i still made 2 GIR from bad shots that had no business getting up there.

Nice write up today Tadashi. I spent my time at the range today working on the AW only. Spent a whole buck on just the one clubs getting a feel for everything from full shots to little chips and I really like what I am seeing.

Buck I'm going to use my 52* for finesse shots. My AW will be a nice gapper to have in the bag.
WR the AW is pure, I couldve just hit it the entire time as well. Looking forward to playing at the outing with both you fools.....

i just changed the grips on my R11 irons to golf pride new multi compound and went to the range and was woefull with the irons, i could hardly hit them properly. I was getting so frustrated that i was seriously considering ditching them. I was so good last week with them as well. Does it take time to adjust to new grips or was it just a bad day.

chase there should not be a learning curve with new grips. Did you go with you usual setup with tape? Or did you add more tape to build up the grips? Also, are the clubs set for you, meaning did you get fit for them?
i just changed the grips on my R11 irons to golf pride new multi compound and went to the range and was woefull with the irons, i could hardly hit them properly. I was getting so frustrated that i was seriously considering ditching them. I was so good last week with them as well. Does it take time to adjust to new grips or was it just a bad day.

My first post in this thread for a while due to a holiday and catching up with things when I got back. I should have come back to this thread sooner as I had over 60 pages to read this week!! Having now caught up can I say well done and thanks to the testers for their updates, some really useful information.

I had mentioned I was waiting on the AW to complete my set as TaylorMade had been out of stock when I got the rest of my irons. Well I got the call before I went on holiday to say it was in. I went to the store to collect it to discover it had a regular shaft in it instead of stiff :angry:. So it had to get sent back and I heard on Monday that it is now in so will collect it before the weekend. Having read all the good things about the AW I can't wait to try it for myself.

I have only played a couple of times since I came back but thought I would share a couple of things. These were probably the 2 best ball striking rounds I have had with my R11 irons. My playing partners commented on the sound I was getting when I hit them as you could tell they were well struck. Unfortunately this didn't lead to more GIRs or birdie chances as I am still struggling to get the distances dialled in. I hit 3 or 4 shots that looked great in the air only for the ball to fly way over the pin and on a couple of holes the green. At the moment I would rather have a good strike with the R11s and get the distance wrong rather than have a poor strike finish close, if that makes sense. One of my playing partners suggested having less porridge before playing :D.

The weather is actually looking quite good for the weekend (good for Scotland in November is dry). Hoping to get out to give them a hit as I haven't played for 2 weeks. Not sure if we will be on winter greens or not as the greens were supposed to be getting cored at the beginning of the week so.

Finally, I discovered at our prizegiving last Friday that I had won the first 2 competitions I had played with my R11s!!! I won the best scratch prize in the captains day on the Saturday, can't remember the score but it wasn't great to be honest, and won the greenkeeper's day on the Sunday with 35 points. Not bad considering I had only played 9 holes with them before that!!

chase there should not be a learning curve with new grips. Did you go with you usual setup with tape? Or did you add more tape to build up the grips? Also, are the clubs set for you, meaning did you get fit for them?

just the same setup, yes i was fit for them, i was pretty much standard for them so the standard set was fine, the length & lie was bang on for me and the fitter recommend the standard k90 shaft. I think i was just having a bad day as i am usully consistent with them, but yesterday i was hitting them to the left then to the right then topping the ball. Will go back tonight to see if i am any better.

Nice post Tadashi. W.R., that's what I've begun to do as well. I just grab 2 clubs and work through a large bucket. I want to just put reps on each club. Ball position, tempo, club position. I do it over and over to set it in concrete. The clubs which I've completed this with so far have fewer mis-hits. I'm pretty comfortable with the R11s now. I'm just working on focus and consistency.

Back