TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

I am playing a very nice course on Saturday morning that I have never played, it should be a good test for the R11's 3rd voyage out, high of 60* with little wind is the forecast as of right now, perfect! I have been practicing chipping with the PW in my house and boy do these grooves put some spin on the ball, it checks up almost as quickly as my SW and LW does which is crazy.

I'm in the same boat 10yard, I'll be playing a course tomorrow that I have never played or seen. The wind is up a bit in central florida so it will be a good test. A proper write will follow. I will also be swinging the R11 with the graphite shaft. I grabbed a 6 iron with a stiff shaft from the cart at EW. I want to see what all the raving is all about fror myself
I am playing a very nice course on Saturday morning that I have never played, it should be a good test for the R11's 3rd voyage out, high of 60* with little wind is the forecast as of right now, perfect! I have been practicing chipping with the PW in my house and boy do these grooves put some spin on the ball, it checks up almost as quickly as my SW and LW does which is crazy.

Jay that is great my friend. Looking forward to some thoughts and pics
Got the call today! R11 irons came in, at least 4-pw. They said the aw is back ordered. I got gp nd multi compound blk/red on 4-7 and blk/ white on 8-aw. They look awesome, but havent hit them yet. Tomorrow will be a range day and 18. I'll put pics up later

I'm in the same boat 10yard, I'll be playing a course tomorrow that I have never played or seen. The wind is up a bit in central florida so it will be a good test. A proper write will follow. I will also be swinging the R11 with the graphite shaft. I grabbed a 6 iron with a stiff shaft from the cart at EW. I want to see what all the raving is all about fror myself

Sounds like fun, looking forward to seeing how you like the graphite.

Good luck on the "blind" course tomorrow. Interested to hear your thoughts on the steel vs graphite shafts.

Thanks buck. It's torture waiting for the sun to come up, it's like being a kid waiting for Christmas. I swear they look even better then in the store. I'll update tomorrow on how it goes

i got bad news i still am tortured when i can't hit the range when i want to. this night won't go fast enough!

2nd range session update

Finally got around to hit all the clubs and I am one happy owner of R11s. Yesterday I was able to confirm that max height of ball flight is very consistent between the clubs, whether I am hitting the AW or the 5i. This allows me to visualize the shots easily and hopefully get used to the distances faster. Talking about distance, I am definitely a club and a half longer with the R11s even though overall lengths of the shafts are pretty similar to my previous set of irons. Today, with a little help from the down wind, I was flying my 5i over the 185yd flag consistently, probably 190 to 195 yards. This is new territory for me and my 4 hybrid is in serious danger of being eliminated from the bag and it will depend on how the R11 performs in the rough since my 4hybrid is a Raylor.

Lowering the trajectory was actually quite easy with the R11s although I guess it is comparatively low - about half the height of my regular shot, but still at least 2/3 height of my previous iron shots. I lost about 1 club length in distance but was able to hit all of them exactly where I aimed. Before, I would hit it fat or slice it every so often. I saw non of that with the R11s. This leads me to turf interaction - I am not a digger but I do take divots and the R11 has no problems going through turf and even on really fat shots, it looks ugly but the results are very playable.

Matrix Programs - I am immensely enjoying my shaft and it is pure joy to rip a 5i and see the ball fly. Also it is keeping my wrists from pain.

I remember a post about changing the weights in the weight port. My fitter did tell me TM can change the weights to keep the swing weights constant. For example, my shafts are slightly heavier than the stock graphite shafts but the same length and I had the clubs built to the same swing weight as stock offerings. Also on one of the clubs I have, had a little bit of plastic wrap stuck between the weight and the weight port. I don't know if this is from installing different weights but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Lastly, here are some more pics of my new toys.....

Spoiler

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

Comparing the 5i and PW, you can see the PW is a little more rounded and the face is taller

IMG_2196.jpg

Wow Ryan, those are some nice looking clubs. Sounds like you are really enjoying them

Those Programs look really nice in the R11's. Glad to hear you are enjoying them so much.

Glad you're enjoying them as much as we are. Shafts look sweet.

Rybaby those look super bro, love the look of those shafts. Sounds like they are performing well and doing what thu were designed to do.
I like that you touched on the weight port, that's important info to have, thanks.
I've also found that my knock down are just below what my last irons used to be. Same with the distance and trajectory. Glad you are enjoying them.

2nd range session update

Finally got around to hit all the clubs and I am one happy owner of R11s. Yesterday I was able to confirm that max height of ball flight is very consistent between the clubs, whether I am hitting the AW or the 5i. This allows me to visualize the shots easily and hopefully get used to the distances faster. Talking about distance, I am definitely a club and a half longer with the R11s even though overall lengths of the shafts are pretty similar to my previous set of irons. Today, with a little help from the down wind, I was flying my 5i over the 185yd flag consistently, probably 190 to 195 yards. This is new territory for me and my 4 hybrid is in serious danger of being eliminated from the bag and it will depend on how the R11 performs in the rough since my 4hybrid is a Raylor.

Lowering the trajectory was actually quite easy with the R11s although I guess it is comparatively low - about half the height of my regular shot, but still at least 2/3 height of my previous iron shots. I lost about 1 club length in distance but was able to hit all of them exactly where I aimed. Before, I would hit it fat or slice it every so often. I saw non of that with the R11s. This leads me to turf interaction - I am not a digger but I do take divots and the R11 has no problems going through turf and even on really fat shots, it looks ugly but the results are very playable.

Matrix Programs - I am immensely enjoying my shaft and it is pure joy to rip a 5i and see the ball fly. Also it is keeping my wrists from pain.

I remember a post about changing the weights in the weight port. My fitter did tell me TM can change the weights to keep the swing weights constant. For example, my shafts are slightly heavier than the stock graphite shafts but the same length and I had the clubs built to the same swing weight as stock offerings. Also on one of the clubs I have, had a little bit of plastic wrap stuck between the weight and the weight port. I don't know if this is from installing different weights but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Spoiler

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

Comparing the 5i and PW, you can see the PW is a little more rounded and the face is taller

IMG_2196.jpg

Ryan they look awesome! Congrats on the R11's and thanks for the update. Do you have the GP Tour Wrap 2G on them?

Wow Ryan those shafts look sick with those. How do I upload a pic from here? I didn't see a spot to just insert the file. Do u have to upload to say Flickr then insert the link to the photo? I'm on iMac, iPhone, and iPad if that makes any difference.

Jay, I find photobucket the easiest for uploading pictures. Upload your picture and then you want to copy the link under your picture called "IMG code" and past it right in your post.

Jay, I find photobucket the easiest for uploading pictures. Upload your picture and then you want to copy the link under your picture called "IMG code" and past it right in your post.

Thanks a bunch. I'll try that this afternoon.

Dude, those Programs look so sick in those irons. What a beautiful shaft that is.

Dude, those Programs look so sick in those irons. What a beautiful shaft that is.

Wow Ryan those shafts look sick with those. How do I upload a pic from here? I didn't see a spot to just insert the file. Do u have to upload to say Flickr then insert the link to the photo? I'm on iMac, iPhone, and iPad if that makes any difference.

Ryan they look awesome! Congrats on the R11's and thanks for the update. Do you have the GP Tour Wrap 2G on them?

Rybaby those look super bro, love the look of those shafts. Sounds like they are performing well and doing what thu were designed to do.
I like that you touched on the weight port, that's important info to have, thanks.
I've also found that my knock down are just below what my last irons used to be. Same with the distance and trajectory. Glad you are enjoying them.

Glad you're enjoying them as much as we are. Shafts look sweet.

Those Programs look really nice in the R11's. Glad to hear you are enjoying them so much.

Wow Ryan, those are some nice looking clubs. Sounds like you are really enjoying them

Thank you TC, Jaybanks, OEM Kevin, Tadashi, 2 Shoes, Hawk and Z.Furiak they are quite pretty to look at, and gladly perform better.
And OEM Kevin, yes they are Golfpride Tourwrap 2Gs. I like how soft but tacky they are and were recommended by my fitter Robert at TMP Labs for reducing stress even more. I plan to change all my grips to these in the near future.

Just echoing what the others have said....those shafts look awesome in the R11s. Nice looking combo, and it sounds like they perform too!

Thank you TC, Jaybanks, OEM Kevin, Tadashi, 2 Shoes, Hawk and Z.Furiak they are quite pretty to look at, and gladly perform better.
And OEM Kevin, yes they are Golfpride Tourwrap 2Gs. I like how soft but tacky they are and were recommended by my fitter Robert at TMP Labs for reducing stress even more. I plan to change all my grips to these in the near future.

Welcome dude. I might check out the red ones at the beginning of next season for my R11's.

2nd range session update

Spoiler

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

Great post Ryan, your 4h better watch out if you keep hitting the 5i that well!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Really guys?!?! As of next week, my bag will be right where I want it...Coolbreeze got me looking a grips yesterday, now you people today. My wallet seriously needs a break.

Really guys?!?! As of next week, my bag will be right where I want it...Coolbreeze got me looking a grips yesterday, now you people today. My wallet seriously needs a break.

You've been coobreezing new grips? If I disliked the stock grips Id be coolbreezing some new GP Tourwrap 2G's in fancy red. But I dont mind the stock grips for now so Im good.

I'm not coolbreezing new grips yet either Kmac. I am fond of the Tour Velvets. However, when it's time for some regripage, I'll be rocking some red VDR's.

I'm not coolbreezing new grips yet either Kmac. I am fond of the Tour Velvets. However, when it's time for some regripage, I'll be rocking some red VDR's.

Im also very content with the Tour Velvies for now. Im thinking beginning of this next golf season I may go with some new grip love. I'll start my coolbreezing of new grips around that time most likely.

You've been coobreezing new grips? If I disliked the stock grips Id be coolbreezing some new GP Tourwrap 2G's in fancy red. But I dont mind the stock grips for now so Im good.
Well that's JUST IT. I'm fine with the stock grips...actually, I really like the stock grips...probably 'cause I don't know any better and don't need to. I've "coolbreezed" a little and I'm trying to get over it. :D

Back