The Torrance Course - St Andrews Bay

the_paulo

Euro target practice
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.5
On Friday, I got the chance to make the trip over to play the Torrance course, at the Fairmont in St Andrews.

Got quite a few pics, so they'll tell most of the story for me.

A short review -

The Fairmont is on a lovely piece of land in St Andrews bay. The views over the 'auld grey toon' are nice on a clear day, and we certainly got one of the better days at this time of year.

The course itself can be a bit of a monster from the blue tees, and it certainly proved a bit of a test to us off the whites!
Overall, the layout is very nice, with a few really notable holes, especially on the back 9. The 16th is a par 4 which almost hangs off the edge of a cliff with a sheer drop into the sea below!

The greens are large and very quick. The rough can be penal and some of the fairway bunkers were definitely hazards!

Took us about 4 and a half hours to get round, which I guess is about standard for a tourist-filled location.

I liked this course, but it really did stand out as a links course that was built for purpose. For me, there were too many raised greens for it to play like I imagine a links should. That said, it's a beautiful part of the world, and if you don't enjoy playing golf here, you won't enjoy playing golf anywhere!

I'll put my pics in the next couple of posts, and I'll spoiler them since there's a few.

Here are a couple of pages which give you an idea of the course - the strokesaver layout and a great fly-by site -

http://www.fairmont.com/NR/rdonlyres/65FE5359-33F1-4463-BF4E-495C26764DBC/0/SAB_Torrance_Nov09.pdf

[URL="http://www.bestapproachflyovers.com/SABT_standrewstorrance/"]http://www.bestapproachflyovers.com/SABT_standrewstorrance/

[/URL]

The entrance road -
Spoiler
2011-10-14131120.jpg

View from the clubhouse steps, towards St Andrews -
Spoiler
2011-10-14123914.jpg

The start!
Spoiler
2011-10-14132500.jpg

Couple more notable ones, then I'll just put the rest in a post!

The 16th - downhill par 4, straight on to the cliff edge....

Spoiler
2011-10-14171629.jpg

The green (no, I wasn't closest!)
Spoiler
2011-10-14172709.jpg

The view from the fringe -
Spoiler
2011-10-14172904.jpg

Towards St Andrews -
Spoiler
2011-10-14173143.jpg

Some action from the back -
Spoiler
IMG_5541.jpg

The others - starting with me in 'action'...hmmm -

Spoiler
IMG_8632.jpg

View out towards St Andrews -
Spoiler
2011-10-14154057.jpg

The Fairmont in the background is a nice sight -
Spoiler
2011-10-14160722.jpg

The clubhouse from the 17th tee -
Spoiler
2011-10-14173133.jpg

The rest -
Spoiler
2011-10-14155711.jpg

Spoiler
2011-10-14161712.jpg

Spoiler
2011-10-14162541.jpg

Spoiler
2011-10-14164125.jpg

Spoiler
2011-10-14170329.jpg

Spoiler
2011-10-14132532.jpg

Spoiler
2011-10-14140323.jpg

Spoiler
2011-10-14151746.jpg

Great pics Paulo - those bunkers are just unreal. Love all the undulations in the fairways.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Beautiful pictures Paulo, looks like you had decent weather. Pure Golf.

Great pictures Paulo, thanks for sharing!

Wow what a beautiful course Paulo! Thanks for the pictures

Looks like you had agreat time Paulo. When I played in the Eden Trophy at St Andrews last year a bunch of us played the Kittocks on the Wednesday afternoon. Couldn't get on the Torrance as they had a Deaf Golfer Tournament there.

Some stunning views up there.

Hoping to play the Eden again next year, wife permitting. Will give you a shout nearer the time and could poss meet up.

Those were some gorgeous pictures Paulo! Thank you for sharing. I can imagine losing a ton of balls there lol.

Dear paulo,

Please help your good pal TC find some form of employment over there. I'd love to be over there dude. I love the golf courses, love the pictures, and I really dig the accents. Thanks for sharing buddy. I appreciate that.

Beautiful pics Paulo and thanks for posting them.
I hope to make it over the pond some day to play.

Hoping to play the Eden again next year, wife permitting. Will give you a shout nearer the time and could poss meet up.

I'd be up for that Richard! Any excuse for a THP outing and to get over to St Andrews! :D

Those were some gorgeous pictures Paulo! Thank you for sharing. I can imagine losing a ton of balls there lol.

haha, I didn't lose a ball, but I did manage to kill one by slamming it off some rocks in one of the ditches! oops!

Dear paulo,

Please help your good pal TC find some form of employment over there. I'd love to be over there dude. I love the golf courses, love the pictures, and I really dig the accents. Thanks for sharing buddy. I appreciate that.

Any time Bro! You could run this place, just get the family packed up and hop on over. I'll fix you up with some skinny jeans and everything. :D

Great pics Paulo, thanks for sharing. That place looks amazing!

Beautiful pics Paulo and thanks for posting them.
I hope to make it over the pond some day to play.

It really is a special part of the world. I take it for granted a little, but looking back over the pics makes me realise it. I always smile when coming in to St Andrews!

Im saying there next week! Thanks for getting me fired up Paulo!!!

haha, no problem dude! You might just have a good time! :D

Been a while since I've played any golf at the home but it is always special. The Torrance was always a good test even before the amendments a few years ago, also like the old Devlin at St A bay

Dear paulo,

It's one thing digging the accent TC but try understanding us when we get a few beers in us is another art form.

It's one thing digging the accent TC but try understanding us when we get a few beers in us is another art form.

Don't worry about me. I use to run around with a bunch of wild Englishmen, South Africans, and Australians back in my college days. I've also seen Trainspotting, Lock Stock, and Snatch about 100 times each. That has to count for something, right?

Don't worry about me. I use to run around with a bunch of wild Englishmen, South Africans, and Australians back in my college days. I've also seen Trainspotting, Lock Stock, and Snatch about 100 times each. That has to count for something, right?

Course that counts. You're now qualified to enter the pub with us. And possibly be carried out later, if all goes well!

Course that counts. You're now qualified to enter the pub with us. And possibly be carried out later, if all goes well!

Sweet! I was hoping that was the case. I have to tell you paulo, living in Australia for a few years, I learned how to put down a few pints. Australians are a very confident people. They have a reputation for being drinkers, however, I'll never forget the time I met a posse of 12 dudes from England/Ireland who were touring Australia to watch the Lions play. I met these cats up in Townsville, which is way up north in Queensland. I partied with them for a few days b/c we were staying on this Island called Magnetic Island. Cool place. I told them that when they got to Canberra to give me a call, and I would put them up. I never expected to hear from them again to be honest, but they called, and we partied. I took them to this English pub on the South side of the city, I liked it there b/c they had like 30 English/Irish brews on tap and they had a killer dart league. We played this drinking game that involved dice and pints. I learned one thing that night: there is no nationality in the planet that can outdrink rugby fans from the U.K. I tried my best and they absolutely floored me. See, I've been known to be able to pack a few pints away in my day but these fellas were truly special. I'm getting emotional reminiscing this morning. Those were the days.

Sweet! I was hoping that was the case. I have to tell you paulo, living in Australia for a few years, I learned how to put down a few pints. Australians are a very confident people. They have a reputation for being drinkers, however, I'll never forget the time I met a posse of 12 dudes from England/Ireland who were touring Australia to watch the Lions play. I met these cats up in Townsville, which is way up north in Queensland. I partied with them for a few days b/c we were staying on this Island called Magnetic Island. Cool place. I told them that when they got to Canberra to give me a call, and I would put them up. I never expected to hear from them again to be honest, but they called, and we partied. I took them to this English pub on the South side of the city, I liked it there b/c they had like 30 English/Irish brews on tap and they had a killer dart league. We played this drinking game that involved dice and pints. I learned one thing that night: there is no nationality in the planet that can outdrink rugby fans from the U.K. I tried my best and they absolutely floored me. See, I've been known to be able to pack a few pints away in my day but these fellas were truly special. I'm getting emotional reminiscing this morning. Those were the days.

haha, that sounds like an awesome time indeed. I'd love to get in on some of that darts action, since I'm a decent player after the optimum number of pints! The Aussies really are crazy on the whole, and the ones I've met do like a drink, but you're right, you need to go some to beat the UK as a nation of binge drinkers!

The Irish and Scottish usually have the edge on the English in that game, but heck, we can show you when you get here! :D

Two words:

I'm jealous!

great pics paulo, i loved the torrance course, one of the best i played this year.

Back