Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Enjoy the weekend duey, we will have 3 sets of the Adams clubs here at the Georgia outing ourselves (KB, nick & myself) so lots of folks will probably put a swing or two on them. I imagine the hybrids will be hit by many. Reports will follow next week.

Thanks buddy, have yourself out there. We will have a couple of the Adams sets going as well, so a ton of people get to hit these this weekend.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Made the trip to see my instructor who checked the lies on all my irons and said they were just fine without changing a thing.

Made the trip to see my instructor who checked the lies on all my irons and said they were just fine without changing a thing.

Really good to hear KellyBo. It adds so much confidence knowing you are swinging the right lie angles and lofts for your game. I wish you continued success!

Really good to hear KellyBo. It adds so much confidence knowing you are swinging the right lie angles and lofts for your game. I wish you continued success!

Thanks so much! I can't wait to hit them again in Blairsville all weekend. Four rounds scheduled over the next three days. I hope I can hold out for all that fun!

thanks so much! I can't wait to hit them again in blairsville all weekend. Four rounds scheduled over the next three days. I hope i can hold out for all that fun!

yess!!! And good luck at the get together!!!

That's good news, KB.

Did he just have you hit on a lie board, or did he also check them to see what they actually were?

Reason I ask, is because although I had mine bent .75* flat of standard, mine came to me 2 to 2.25* upright. They didn't come to me with standard lies.

are the Adams Hybrids all they're cracked up to be?

That's good news, KB.

Did he just have you hit on a lie board, or did he also check them to see what they actually were?

Reason I ask, is because although I had mine bent .75* flat of standard, mine came to me 2 to 2.25* upright. They didn't come to me with standard lies.

He just used a lie board and impact tape on the face and sole of the club.

Catching up on the reviews. Good reads Smalls and KB :) I keep wanting to get the lies checked but I'm not 100% sure if I will.

I'll be doing a 5h vs 5h shootout this week and I'm pretty stoked. I've been thinking a lot about the hybrids and I think its time to compare. Looking back on my rounds the Adams hybrids seem straighter but not as long as the Razr X and I can't wait to put them head to head.

Date: Oct 13th, 2011
Course; The Knolls of Omaha, NE
Conditions: Late evening, 70*, strong NW winds 25MPH

Worked a long hard day on about 4 hours sleep after closing the place late last night, but needed to get some swings in before the small outing in Iowa this weekend. Really wanted to just hit the range, but this course, close to work, didn't have one so I played a quick nine. The course was in rather poor condition, to put it mildly, with extremely slow "freshly sanded greens", clumpy fairways and rough. The layout was sort of neat, but conditions were awful, however it was nice to get out. Overall with all the doglegs, ponds, creeks, timber and sand it was a pretty tight course and I was slicing every drive, but played for it most of the time and had a few solid saves.

I don't really have a lot of notes from the round other than to point out that while I was turning the driver and 3w over horridly, the Adams held a straight line, which seemed odd. Generally if my swing is off it show's up in most every shot. Also, on the #2 hole par 3 202 yards with wind behind me, I hit my 4h just for the heck of it and only came up about 10 yards short. I just attributed that to the wind, but come around to the par 3 8th hole t 183 yards against the wind I actually hit the fringe about 6" short of the green, I never gave it a chance to get close but just wanted to hit it and see.

The iron's were very consistantly straight as always. I have a tendency to aim a bit right because I have always had a touch of draw with the Nickents, so almost every iron shot was right of the hole. On one shot from 105 off a hardpan lie, I hit the ball dead straight over the pin about 15 yards long, twice, lol. Couldn't believe I made that good of contact, so did it again with the same results.

Not much here to report, but should see a much nicer course this weekend. 41 on the round today, but I was putting pretty well overall with slow sanded greens.

Good job Due...have a good time at the outing this weekend.

Reviewers -

Which club type in the a120S set - hybrid, transitional, or traditional - would you say is your favorite at this point?

Reviewers -

Which club type in the a120S set - hybrid, transitional, or traditional - would you say is your favorite at this point?

Hybrids, hands down.

Any reason for that? Is it that you really just love the hybrids or do you not like the other irons in ways?

Combo of both. The hybrids just work. Ball springs off the face (probably from the velocity slot tech), probably the most forgiving hybrid I've ever hit, real easy to get into (I thought I was going to have an issue with hitting a 6h just because I never did before), and just a real good overall package for someone that just wants to go out and play. I think you can say that about the whole set but the hybrids definitely more than the other parts.

Thanks, Spank. I've honestly never been a real fan of the Adams hybrids. I know that sounds crazy, but that's just the way I've always felt. This thread has really made me revisit that thought and I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare for me.

Hawks, I'm not sure I have a favorite. I'm hitting the scoring irons really well and those distance gap issues I would think I had are pretty much gone now. My favorite aspect of the set is actually the consistancy I see. Part of that has to do with same shafts throughout I think but if forced to choose, I'd take my transitional irons.

Thanks, Spank. I've honestly never been a real fan of the Adams hybrids. I know that sounds crazy, but that's just the way I've always felt. This thread has really made me revisit that thought and I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare for me.

I hope you do. I was never a huge fan either (I always thought they were too unforgiving on the pro lines or too huge for my liking on the OS lines). I really like this years offerings including the A12 pro as well (still a bit unforgiving but it has excellent shaft options to boot).

Just something to add is that in many hybrids that I have hit I always had an issue with the shafts being too light and too whippy for my swing so I always had to change out the shafts to something that is normally not available from the OEM. These hybrids, while still a bit too light and whippy for my swing, are pretty good in that, I didn't have to ease up off the gas pedal too much to adjust. Like I've always said, so easy to ease into the set. If I were to go away and travel to a place that rents clubs I would hope that this set is there because of that reason.

Hawks, I'm not sure I have a favorite. I'm hitting the scoring irons really well and those distance gap issues I would think I had are pretty much gone now. My favorite aspect of the set is actually the consistancy I see. Part of that has to do with same shafts throughout I think but if forced to choose, I'd take my transitional irons.

Hmmm. I think that's a good point and something that is really important in a set like this.

I hope you do. I was never a huge fan either (I always thought they were too unforgiving on the pro lines or too huge for my liking on the OS lines). I really like this years offerings including the A12 pro as well (still a bit unforgiving but it has excellent shaft options to boot).

Just something to add is that in many hybrids that I have hit I always had an issue with the shafts being too light and too whippy for my swing so I always had to change out the shafts to something that is normally not available from the OEM. These hybrids, while still a bit too light and whippy for my swing, are pretty good in that, I didn't have to ease up off the gas pedal too much to adjust. Like I've always said, so easy to ease into the set. If I were to go away and travel to a place that rents clubs I would hope that this set is there because of that reason.

I've been happy to see that liked the hybrids since I remember you being pretty particular when it came to them.

Master, the irons all the way down including the transition #7 and especially the gw. The hybrids are solid and impress me, but not to the degree these irons have.

With that said I hope to break out the Nickent for one round as a quick compare. Also looking forward to a few swings with the graphite shafts.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Reviewers -

I have to go with the hybrids as well. They have already earned a spot in the bag, regardless of whether the irons and transitionals stay there too (though I think those will stay too). The hybrids are nice because they are so easy to hit. They fly high and long and land soft. Compared to the Nickent 4DX Ironwood hybrids I have, I like these twice as much easily.

Next would be the irons (9, PW and GW). Bringing up the rear, although they close the gap a little more every time out are the 7 and 8 transitional irons.

Reviewers -

Right now I would say the hybrids too...they are just so easy to hit, the ball jumps off the face with a high penetrating ball flight and lands soft and they are extremely forgiving...I don't know what more you could ask a hybrid to do. The 6H is becoming my favorite club, but that's probably because we have 3 par 3's here that are 165-180 and I can hit the 6H to any of those distances very easily.

I like the whole set and if I had to play a tournament or something right this minute, these would be in my bag.

I managed to sneak out of work early enough today to haul butt home and get to the course and play a quick 18 holes. I am really struggling with my driver right now and the Adams clubs are bailing me out keeping my scores from suffering too badly. It was a picture perfect day here in Southeast Texas...not a cloud in the sky, very light winds and 88 degrees.

Testing Date: October 14, 2011
Conditions: Sunny, light winds, 88*
Clubs Tested: Adams a12 OS Hybrid/Irons ProLaunch Blue Graphite Shafts, Regular Flex
Score for Round: 43+42=85

Hybrids: At this point if somebody wants to take these from me, they are going to have to do it at gun point! I mentioned in the opening that I am struggling with the Driver right now and the hybrids kept me in play and kept my round going. I love the forgiveness and the high ball flight. I hit 2 greens today after hitting terrible drives and having just over 200 yards left..just took out the 4H, put a nice easy swing on the ball and launched it high and dropped it right on the green...gotta love that! The 6H is easily becoming my favorite club because we have 3 pars 3's at my home course that I can use it on....hit all 3 in regulation today!

Transitional Irons 7-8: I hit these well today too, I had several approaches in the 140-160 range and was either on the green with them or just off the edge. I did blade the 7 iron today from a bare lie, but that was because of my crappy tee shot leaving me there. The shot of the day also came with the 7 iron..hit driver to the right on a medium par 4 and was under a tree with another smaller tree just in front of me about 30 yards, had 155 to the pin but I need to keep the ball low for a few feet and then get it up to get over the small tree and then carry it all the way to the green to avoid the front right bunker...I played the ball about 5 inches back from normal and tried to stay down on it...I trapped it perfectly...it came out low for about 10 yards and then climbed, just barely clearing the 2nd tree...I ran to the left and got past the tree just in time to see the ball drop onto the very edge of the green and roll to about 20 feet!

Scoring Irons 9-GW: Just like everything else in the set, these clubs are just incredibly easy to hit, nice smooth swings produce great shots...I have been using the GW for chipping alot and have really gotten pretty good with it, I left 3 chips within gimmie distance today.

Overall: Another great day with a great set of Irons and Hybrids, I pretty much have my distances down now and am hitting them pretty consistent distance wise finally, I would say I am at least a club longer with just about every club compared to my R7's and TM Rescue Hybrids. But the big thing is the ability to keep these in play even on miss hits, they still go straight but lose a little distance instead of heading for the trees or a hazard.

I am playing a scramble in the morning and then probably another 18 in the afternoon, so more to report tomorrow evening.

heck of a shot TBT, you have to love seeing a shot like that in your head and then pulling it off. Glad these are working well for you.

Back