Are new clubs any better than old clubs?

I was under the assumption that my equipment was really good because it was fit for me and I was accurate and consistant with it, I was wrong. I went through a fitting recently and tried at least 10 sets of irons and I was floored at the gains in launch angle, distances, and forgiveness. I stayed in the forged family because it's what felt most comfortable for me, but the technology out there today is fantastic.

I also agree with most of the posters. If you play your present irons better, stick with them. I recently had a driver fitting. It wasn't a very good fitting, but there was only one driver that I hit better than my present driver. And then it was only about 5-7 yards better with about the same distance from center. So, I'm keeping my driver.

Now, my irons are a different story. I have a demo TM 2.0 6 iron, and a Cleveland CG16 7 iron. I hit the CG16 VERY well. Much better than my Nike irons. I don't hit the TM 2.0 very well. So, the Cleveland's will be on my radar when it comes time for new irons.

I had the great fortune of being at the "right place/right time" and have a new set of AP2's that I purchased in NC yesterday from a fellow who's eyesight is failing and is getting out of the game temporarily. I got such a good price I decided that whatever the new 712's look like or claim to improve upon, nothing beats a good deal on 1 year old "mint" clubs. I tried them on the range and hit them perfectly yesterday, and just got back from a quick 9 and hit them very good. I tried explaing the feel and improvements to my wife, she just nodded her head and said "I'm glad they make you happy"! Men understand golf clubs, women understand shoes! Gap

I change drivers, woods and hybrids every year or two at the most, but I seem to stay with older irons. You hit them the most often and when I find a set that works, I have trouble letting them go. I played most of this year with 5/6 year old Ping G5's, but switched back to my forged Nike CCi's that have been sitting in my work shop for the past two or three years. I loved those irons when they were new and when I put them in the bag awhile back, I wondered why I ever took them out. The G5's are done for sure as I gave them to my nephew this week. GI irons are good, but you just can't hit some shots with them.

I like newer stuff when it comes to driver/woods and I feel that those clubs are where technology changes quickly, but with irons, I just like tried and true better. I'm leaning towards a new set of irons this winter, but these 07 CCi's will stay close.

I have no doubt that new equipment is better designed, better engineered, and bettered tested.

That doesn't mean that new equipment is better for your swing. I also believe that if your equipment is that old and you haven't found anything that fits you better, you haven't looked hard enough. And that is ok.

Old clubs will always have one important advantage over new clubs-comfort factor or being used to using them. This reason alone has stopped me from purchasing new irons several times already. I have even been fit for a new set of pings last year and had them ordered,only to be returned after using a demo 6-iron for a couple rounds. I, like many have stated in this thread am just to used to my current iron set. I think now the only way I'm getting rid of them is when they wear out,or if my swing improves so much I can play more of a players club. As for woods and especially drivers, I am all for the newest tech to squeeze every yard and ounce of forgiveness from them. I'm currently driver shopping as of this post, irons are just another story.

Old clubs will always have one important advantage over new clubs-comfort factor or being used to using them. This reason alone has stopped me from purchasing new irons several times already. I have even been fit for a new set of pings last year and had them ordered,only to be returned after using a demo 6-iron for a couple rounds. I, like many have stated in this thread am just to used to my current iron set. I think now the only way I'm getting rid of them is when they wear out,or if my swing improves so much I can play more of a players club. As for woods and especially drivers, I am all for the newest tech to squeeze every yard and ounce of forgiveness from them. I'm currently driver shopping as of this post, irons are just another story.

I might be in the same situation as you - I have x20's.

Driver Technology tends to improve the most over time. The trick is finding the right shaft. This is the engine to your driver. Hybrids are a dramatic improvement over long irons. Ball technology has also improved dramatically. I still play Ping G2 irons which are 8 years old. They hit them just fine.

Most of the newer irons decreased their lofts. Example: Older Pitching wedges were 48 degrees. Newer pitching wedges are 45 degrees. This is for the golfers that want to say they are hitting one club less than you. Truth is. Their new pitching wedges are basically our old 9 irons.

To each their own. Good luck!

Grinder

Agree with Grinder in that driver and probably Fw's and hybrids change the most..especially driver. I still hit Ping S59's and I3+ and other than the stronger lofts of today's irons, I can't justify knocking them out of my bag. I think you'd gain a lot f your driver is a few years old. Even if it's an older head, try a new shaft.

Driver every couple years, irons every 5-6 years. Driver's a lot quicker to see gains just due to technology. Irons ehh.. Find something you like and stick with em until you find something you hit more accurate.

new clubs (especially irons) will have stronger lofts, longer shafts so give you longer distances on the ONE or TWO shots where the average golfer may hit it flush.

The only improvement is the forgiveness/feel of the club heads so that your mis-hits are less punishing. If you are currently accurate with your clubs and don't need more forgiveness then stick to what you have and save the money for green fees =)

your DCI 762 irons are pretty sweet as i gamed them in 1999. if you're hitting it flush with them, by all means keep them in the bag. The only thing i'd be concerned is the wear and tear on the face + shaft specifications, which can be easily fixed with a club refinish and/or reshaft.

my 2 cents - if you think you can't get any better with new equipment, don't even worry about new equipment. But if you want to feed your curiosity, go out and try out a new set on the course or the range. Who knows...you might find that one special set.

Cheers!

It depends on whether you are talking about woods or irons or what, clubs is too broad a category. I think today's drivers, fairway woods and SGI irons are light years ahead of what was available just a few years ago but irons for better players I am not so sure, wedges even less sure. Hard to make a better wedge than a 588 and Ping i2s and Mizuno MP32s are still in a lot of good player's bags. Really it depends on your game and what you can do with the clubs. I think a beginner today should take advantage of everything the newest, latest and greatest SGI clubs can offer.

Back