Luke Donald to play at Disney next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
I guess Luke Donald saw that Webb Simpson was leading this week after 18 holes, and said "not so fast my friend!" He wants to win the money title on the PGA Tour and European Tour this year. Pretty nice boost for the last Fall Series event of the year to get the #1 player in the world into that field.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/luke-donald-adds-disney-schedule-14737913

Luke Donald is not going to give up the PGA Tour money title without a fight.

Donald decided Friday to enter the PGA Tour's final tournament next week at Disney, a response to Webb Simpson playing this week in the McGladrey Classic at Sea Island.

Donald made a birdie on the final hole of the Tour Championship to tie for third, pushing him to the top of the money list by $68,971 over Simpson. Donald is trying to become the first player to win the money title on the PGA Tour and European Tour.

It could be the first time since 2003 that the PGA Tour money title came down to the final tournament of the year.

Good for him. I hope he tops both money lists.

Pretty cool that it means enough to him and he will have some fun and battle for the title.

Great decision by LD. Might make the tournament a little more interesting to watch.

Is Simpson playing Disney too? if they're both in the field it could be pretty exciting. a winner takes all scenario.

:glasses-cool: Great news!

I was wondering what he would do after seeing Webb leading after day 1.

Will be a good boost for the tourney for sure. Wonder if Webb will be playing. The field is available after 5.

i think the plan was to always play the disney because webb was only just behind and with him playing this week chances are it would come down to the last tourney.

makes for good watching,i'm keeping a close eye on bud cauley aswell because i'm sure he'll get his card for next year without going to Q school which is great.

Why is Simpson doing this? Donald is trying to do something unprecedented and Simpson is cramping his style. he doesn't. need the exemption so I just don't get it. The fall series is supposed to be for guys trying to earn their way into the top 125, go spend some time at home Webb.

I think thats good. It supports some of the "smaller" tour events that go on out here. Plus, I bet webb simpson will be in on this one too!!

LOL

Thainer, your Luke Donald obsession is unhealthy. Who obsesses over one player, especially a blonde British one?

Jeesh.

awesome! I hope LD win both

Why is Simpson doing this? Donald is trying to do something unprecedented and Simpson is cramping his style. he doesn't. need the exemption so I just don't get it. The fall series is supposed to be for guys trying to earn their way into the top 125, go spend some time at home Webb.

seriously????

in a way i can understand what you are saying but if i had a chance to top the money list then i'd be taking it regardless of whether it stops another player from topping both money lists for the first time ever.

All right Luke. This will make the Disney tourny fun to watch. Maybe Luke and Webb will paired together!

seriously????

in a way i can understand what you are saying but if i had a chance to top the money list then i'd be taking it regardless of whether it stops another player from topping both money lists for the first time ever.

I mean I guess it all counts but LD won all of his money playing in full fields, not fields with 2-3 people in the top 50. Now he's being forced to do the same. Simpson coulda done this in the "regular" season.

I can see both arguements. Webb is a young player whos trying to top the money list. He shouldnt just step aside for Luke, especially because Webb is in the running for POY.

Luke should take this no problem. Hes twice the player Webb is, even on a bad day.

I mean I guess it all counts but LD won all of his money playing in full fields, not fields with 2-3 people in the top 50. Now he's being forced to do the same. Simpson coulda done this in the "regular" season.

They just confirmed during the live broadcast that Webb will be there next weekend.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Good..I'll have someone to follow next week.

On Maguiness on Tap on XM last night, John said that the winner of the money list title gets 5 years of exempt status on tour. 2 years is great, 5 years means you have a greater chance of getting a long term sponsorship with a company. Not to mention the POY title is still up in the air? Hell yes I'd play at Disney and see if the year could get better.

I would have to think LD would win POY if he wins the money title. Lots riding on next weeks round
On Maguiness on Tap on XM last night, John said that the winner of the money list title gets 5 years of exempt status on tour. 2 years is great, 5 years means you have a greater chance of getting a long term sponsorship with a company. Not to mention the POY title is still up in the air? Hell yes I'd play at Disney and see if the year could get better.

I would have to think LD would win POY if he wins the money title. Lots riding on next weeks round

Dunno. Has he been the most consistent player this year? Absolutely. The best though? 1 win in February at the Match Play, a playoff loss at Harbour Town, a T4 at the Masters, and a lot of top 10's. Is that better than any of the other multiple winners this season?

FWIW, I have no idea who's the POY. There's really not been a clear cut person like in years past.

Luke has made more money than anyone, with almost the fewest events. That says something. Especially because he plays 2 tours, and runs both.

If he only played the PGA Tour, hed have double the money probably.

Obvious exaggeration, but you get the idea..

*Thainer blows out the candles of his Luke Donald shrine and books trip to Disney*

Luke has made more money than anyone, with almost the fewest events. That says something. Especially because he plays 2 tours, and runs both.

If he only played the PGA Tour, hed have double the money probably.

Obvious exaggeration, but you get the idea..

Donald dresses like he should work at Disney. Actually, I think I saw him at a character breakfast several years back.

Kevin

For a tournament that usually means nothing, this has some great story lines going. Gonna be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back