Attention runners, how do you select your shoes?

McRock

Reaction score
Handicap
As is typical for me, come labor day, my golf usually dwindles, and my running picks up. This year, that was especially true, with my first child being born August 30th. Much easier to sneak out for 30 minutes for a run than to sneak out for 2 hours for some golf.

But anyways, I started contemplating new running shoes this year. I currently run in the Nike Shox, R4 about 2007 model. When I bought them in 2008, I didn't really research much at all. I just knew that I needed something to help with the impact on pavement for my shins. These shoes were successful at that, but they seem to be giving me new minor problems.

I'm the kind of guy that likes to know what he's looking for, and research the market so that I know when I find a bargain, I need to jump on it. I'm particularly fond of buying 'last years' model of anything, because it's usually cheaper. I've read about pronation, arches, etc. I haven't checked my arches yet, but highly suspect they are standard. I have slight over-pronation. My typical running will likely top out around 10-14 miles per week (based on 4 days of running each week). My weight is pretty much standard for my age. My next shoes I intend to be built to suit my running.

My question is, how did you select your running shoes? And do you have any recommendations based on my arch, pronation and mileage above.

~Rock

I went to a New Balance store to have a gait analysis done. I'm a supinator (weight on the outside edges of my foot) so I need cushioning rather than stability. I looked around at cushioned shoes, read reviews, compared weight, picked out 2 models of New Balance. They let me try them out for a week or two and I returned one pair.

Last year, however, I damaged my right LCL and have become weary of beating on my knees. I now use Vibram Five Fingers Biklas to run in. They help me run in a proper and natural style and reduce the impact on my knees. They really work my calves out and they'll be sore for a day or two after a longer run.

I run 4 times week at least 5K per run. I've completed a half marathon and regularly participate in 15K and 10mi races in my area.

A friend of mine uses Vibram Five Fingers as well for runs 10K and shorter, but regular New Balance shoes for longer distances.

I select shoes like I select golf clubs. I find a shoe that I like the looks of. I then grab the first box with those shoes in I find. I then use them for running, regardless of whether or not they fit.

Also, get a heart rate monitor. Best $90 I ever spent.

def getting your gait checked is the best way to go about a new pair of runners, give the guys checking your gait as much info as possible - running surfaces (road, grass or astroturf). price range and brands you like, they should be able to give you plenty of help

I do similar weekly mileage of 4-5 miles per run, 3-4 times per week, but I'm considered a "Clydesdale" runner (6', 210 pounds). Every couple of years or so, I go in to a one of the local running stores and have them fit me for shoes. The better fittings will have you take off your shoes and walk/jog in the store. This gives the fitter a sense of how your foot pronates and whether you're a heel striker. From there, they'll suggest a handful of shoes to try on. I typically take their advice and buy the most comfortable of those options from that store. After that initial store-bought pair starts wearing out, I hop online and order the exact same shoes for a bit of a discount.

Sometimes, Zappos.com will have a good price. I like using them because they ship really fast. If their prices aren't great for my particular shoe, I'll use Holabird or roadrunnersports.com.

I've been running in Brooks Ravenna shoes for the past 18 months and have been quite happy.

Wow, great information so far. I do hit heel first, but sometimes its hard to tell, due to a rather silly design flaw in Nike R4 shox. Apparently, when you strike heel first, the plastic plate holding the shox causes the front of your foot to slam down faster than it naturally would.

I live in Iowa. I'm not aware of any New Balance stores or anything like that. I'm pretty sure if I went to footlocker, they would just hand me the shoe they mark up the most.

Just as people get fit for golf clubs at say, golftec, where are you going to get your 'gait' checked? We have all the normal shoe stores, footlocker etc. Plus we do have a scheels, which at least based on their own marketing, makes me believe they actually care about giving me the right shoe? I'd like to know what store I can trust to properly fit me.

Thanks again.

I wouldn't call myself an avid runner but, just as with golf clubs, getting fit for running shoes is key, imo. I got fitted at a Fleet Feet store. They measured my feet more precisely than any other shoe store I've been to and also checked my gait. Then, they had me try on about 10 different pairs of shoes. I ended up with the Brooks Adrenaline, as they fit the best and offered the right amount of support for my flat-arch/pronator tendencies. They are the first shoes I've owned that made me "want" to run because they felt so good. I've bought several pairs of them over the years and think they are a great shoe.

This thread caught my eye. I used to enjoy running so much b/f I had kids. I still try to get a 30 min run in here or there, but not with my newborn.

ANYWAY, getting to a running store is really the best. There's a place here in S. Cal. called Phidippides in Encino that is AWESOME. They have limited hours, but they have you pull up your pant legs (or wear shorts) and then they watch you run up and down the side walk. When you run, they watch and check how your foot rolls. They ask you for your budget, then pull a bunch of shoes for you. I found that I loved the top of the line Saucony years ago and have never strayed since. I should probably get my gait checked again - but can't find the time. You might try to call a running store and see if the can fit you over the phone if you know how you run. Maybe order from Zappos the shoes they recommend and then return them if you don't like them.

Wow, great information so far. I do hit heel first, but sometimes its hard to tell, due to a rather silly design flaw in Nike R4 shox. Apparently, when you strike heel first, the plastic plate holding the shox causes the front of your foot to slam down faster than it naturally would.

I live in Iowa. I'm not aware of any New Balance stores or anything like that. I'm pretty sure if I went to footlocker, they would just hand me the shoe they mark up the most.

Just as people get fit for golf clubs at say, golftec, where are you going to get your 'gait' checked? We have all the normal shoe stores, footlocker etc. Plus we do have a scheels, which at least based on their own marketing, makes me believe they actually care about giving me the right shoe? I'd like to know what store I can trust to properly fit me.

Thanks again.

http://weartest.newbalance.com/Learn/Index.asp?Reference=RunningGait&~=

R
ead the last section to help figure out your gait at home.

By size.

Kevin

I usually run in Nike. Same make and model. Pegasus and have for 15 years or so. I would check out this newer company Newton Running. They are really making a mark in the distance and the ultra distance world right now.

I love New Balance minimus shoes....great shoes. I have the road and trail versions and I love them.....

Back