Damaikis

Fairway Finder
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
All of which relate to my possible trip to Golfsmith tomorrow. I got a new Ping G20 4 wood and a Razr X 3 hybrid almost a month ago (not fitted), and I'm not so sure about them. Golfsmith gives you 90% credit if you bring them back within a month, so I was looking to bring back my hybrid as I have been terribly disappointed with its performance. That leads to question #1:

When I exchange it, I will definately be getting fitted for the new one, so what do I look for them to do in a hybrid fitting? What are the components of the fitting (shaft, lie, etc)?

I was also looking to possibly exchange the 4 wood. I hit that well a bunch of the time (70% or so), and when I do hit it well, I mash the thing. If I did bring it back I would be fitted for that as well. This brings us to our next question:

Would exchanging my 4 wood be worth the price difference? I don't think that I am capable of hitting a fitted 4 wood much farther than the one I have now, but I'd probably hit it well a bit more of the time. Is that really worth the price difference?

Finally, like I said, I mash my 4 wood. Like almost as far as my driver when hit well. With this we arrive at our final question of the day:

Which scenario would be better (obviously price taken into account as a major factor)?

1) Drop my driver (just reshafted, so decent investment there) from my bag until I can afford a new fitted one, make my 4 wood a fitted 3 wood, and add another newly bought hybrid/wedge in place of the driver.

Or

2) Keep my driver in the bag and keep my 4 wood as is.

Thanks in advance for answering!

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

I would tell you to get a fitted driver and leave the 4wood that you hit so well.

IMO driver is a necessary evil. However, if you have more pressing needs in the bag delay the purchase of a driver. Delay using the thing if it is not getting you better scores.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish. Your results with the FW are not bad. FWs are a bear and always will be. I understand your questios, but what precisely are you trying to accomplish on your trip to the golf store? Near as I can tell you want to offload your hybrid. Try everything my man. The Mashie is well received, start there or anywhere! How about the G20 hybrid? Fish in a barrel until you hit everything you can hit.

I would tell you to get a fitted driver and leave the 4wood that you hit so well.

I would, but unfortunately it isn't in the budget as I said.

IMO driver is a necessary evil. However, if you have more pressing needs in the bag delay the purchase of a driver. Delay using the thing if it is not getting you better scores.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish. Your results with the FW are not bad. FWs are a bear and always will be. I understand your questios, but what precisely are you trying to accomplish on your trip to the golf store? Near as I can tell you want to offload your hybrid. Try everything my man. The Mashie is well received, start there or anywhere! How about the G20 hybrid? Fish in a barrel until you hit everything you can hit.

Yeah I can't afford a new driver, but what I'm looking to do is get a new fitted hybrid and maybe restructure my bag a bit. I was wondering what are the components of a hybrid/FW fitting, and what your opinions are on my potential bag restructuring.

Yeah I can't afford a new driver, but what I'm looking to do is get a new fitted hybrid and maybe restructure my bag a bit. I was wondering what are the components of a hybrid/FW fitting, and what your opinions are on my potential bag restructuring.

Most hybrids aren't as customizable as irons or drivers. Most have set lie angles and I can't think of any that allow for loft adjustment although I am sure there are some out there (TM and Titleist I imagine). Leaves you with the shaft. Since a hybrid is an extension of your iron set I would take in your 4I and get the distance measured. From there you have an idea of what you may want. For my game, anything under 210-215 I want some distance control as that is about the max distance I want to shoot at a green. I have several clubs that fit that range....Fybrid, Exotics hybrid, Adams A7 come to mind. Matter of fact my Exotics Trilogy is giving me fits as it goes farther than I want it to. I don't know your distance gaps, but taking that 4I in there is key. Good luck and have a plan or leave with empty pockets and a club that is no better than what you have!

Most hybrids aren't as customizable as irons or drivers. Most have set lie angles and I can't think of any that allow for loft adjustment although I am sure there are some out there (TM and Titleist I imagine). Leaves you with the shaft. Since a hybrid is an extension of your iron set I would take in your 4I and get the distance measured. From there you have an idea of what you may want. For my game, anything under 210-215 I want some distance control as that is about the max distance I want to shoot at a green. I have several clubs that fit that range....Fybrid, Exotics hybrid, Adams A7 come to mind. Matter of fact my Exotics Trilogy is giving me fits as it goes farther than I want it to. I don't know your distance gaps, but taking that 4I in there is key. Good luck and have a plan or leave with empty pockets and a club that is no better than what you have!

Thanks a lot. That's extremely helpful and I'll definately do that.

Since hybrids aren't terribly customizable, I may nix the hybrid all together. Maybe the same Ping G20 that I hit well except a 3 and 5 wood instead of the 4 and hybrid? How customizable are fairways? Do they get fit more like a driver or like a hybrid?

Since hybrids aren't terribly customizable, I may nix the hybrid all together. Maybe the same Ping G20 that I hit well except a 3 and 5 wood instead of the 4 and hybrid? How customizable are fairways? Do they get fit more like a driver or like a hybrid?

Unless you go with something with an adjustable head, no. Just the shaft, grips, and length. In all honesty there aren't many times I agonize over shots over 210. I pretty much lay up from there and it's usually with an iron. Knowing your gaps is huge. Maybe take all your irons in, get the distance gaps down, and go from there. I really only need one club, my 5W, to get me a consistent 225+. If I were to add a 3W I may get consistent 235+. Not that big of a deal for this mere mortal golfer. I am of the mind to have more options with higher lofted clubs than lower lofted clubs. Everyone is different and no way I can say what is best for you, only explain what I do. Think of the rounds you play and the shots you encounter on a regular basis and set your bag to tackle those rounds. Heck, a Niblick may shave a stroke or 2 off.

I carry a 5W and no way would I add a 3W, no way. 3W goes farther, but I don't need it on the course and I don't need the hassle of hitting a 3W.

Okay thanks a lot. I may replace the 4 wood with a 3 wood to use off the tee as I may get as much or more distance than my driver. I barely hit my 4 wood off the deck anyways. And I'll definately get my gaps down. Good suggestion there.

And I'm not sure but as far as I know, I don't think Golfsmith has technology to give me my gaps. When I bought my wood and hybrid, they couldn't even give me distances with those. I'll see what I can make them for me.

Okay thanks a lot. I may replace the 4 wood with a 3 wood to use off the tee as I may get as much or more distance than my driver. I barely hit my 4 wood off the deck anyways. And I'll definately get my gaps down. Good suggestion there.

If your 4 is good, keep it. 3W will be more difficult to hit in most cases. Less loft = more sidespin effects. If you dislike your hybrid dump it and try a short game club. Seriously. My good rounds are a direct result of my short game, not 280 drives and GIRs from 220. Don't mean to sound blunt. I;ve been golfing forever and it's always the same for me. Putts, chips, pitches are where my scores are made.

If your 4 is good, keep it. 3W will be more difficult to hit in most cases. Less loft = more sidespin effects. If you dislike your hybrid dump it and try a short game club. Seriously. My good rounds are a direct result of my short game, not 280 drives and GIRs from 220. Don't mean to sound blunt. I;ve been golfing forever and it's always the same for me. Putts, chips, pitches are where my scores are made.

Yeah, it's all about short game. The only problem with me adding a new short game club would be that I have no room for one because it would mess up my gaps. I feel like I'd have to mess with the rest of my wedges. Maybe I'll get a new hybrid tomorrow, and when it's time to upgrade my wedges I'll pull the hybrid from the bag and get one more wedge than I would've.

Wise words.

You can get fitted for a driver, just because you get fitted doesn't mean it has to be a brand spanking new $350 dollar driver. Im sure an older model will work for you and you can save a lot of money.

I'd keep the 4w. No since in trading a good club away. A 3 hybrid will basically be compared to your 4w (distance wise) I wudnt stress to much about the hybrid. If you absolutely want one, get a 5h were it's a little easier to hit and should fit good with that 4w. Check the distances first though.

No sense in spending money just to be spending. Try some older model drivers out that are in the used area at golfsmith take a few and hit on the monitor im sure someone there can help you out. Btw,What's wrong with your current driver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get fitted for a driver, just because you get fitted doesn't mean it has to be a brand spanking new $350 dollar driver. Im sure an older model will work for you and you can save a lot of money.

I'd keep the 4w. No since in trading a good club away. A 3 hybrid will basically be compared to your 4w (distance wise) I wudnt stress to much about the hybrid. If you absolutely want one, get a 5h were it's a little easier to hit and should fit good with that 4w. Check the distances first though.

No sense in spending money just to be spending. Try some older model drivers out that are in the used area at golfsmith take a few and hit on the monitor im sure someone there can help you out. Btw,What's wrong with your current driver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got no idea what's wrong with my driver. I just got it reshafted because I had the wrong flex before, and I'm still not seeing the distance I should be. And my 4 hybrid goes considerably farther than a hybrid. I have a 22* 4i and a 16.5* 4 wood, so I'm looking at a 19.5 or 20* hybrid for hitting long greens mostly. I get my 4i about 205-210, so I was hoping to get a hybrid in the 220-230 area for long par 3's and reaching some par 5's if I'd like to try.

As for the new driver, I'm not too concerned because I get about 240 off the tee with my 4 wood and 250 or so with driver. That's alright for now, but I just need a hybrid for those long shots (thinking of 2 on my home course in particular: par 3, 210 uphill and par 5, 2nd shot, also about 210 (usually) uphill.

Well I went to Golfsmith this morning and returned my hybrid. When I tried to look for/get fitted for a different one, I have to say the help was horrendous. I was at the Golfsmith in Paramus, NJ, and I started with the TM Rescue 11. When I asked to be fitted, the guy set up the launch monitor, and after a few swings told me that I needed to launch it higher but that there were no shafts that would help me do so. He mentioned nothing about a length adjustment (I think stock clubs are too long for me), and when I did, he pretty much dismissed it. I also wanted to look at the Cleveland Launcher DST and Nike VR Pro, but they didn't have any lefties and said that they couldn't get them for me.

Anyways, I was not happy with the overall service. Does anyone know of a place near northern NJ that preferably has an outdoor range and a wide selection of clubs. And helpful employees/fitters? If not, is there something that I missed at Golfsmith in terms of getting better service?

Back